Takes for granted vs. Assumes Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Woods

New

Takes for granted vs. Assumes

Post by Woods » Tue May 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Does "takes for granted sth. is not the case" equal "assumes sth. is the case"?

For example, pt48 section 4 question 25 choice E.

Thanks!

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Tue May 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foggynotion

New

Re: Takes for granted vs. Assumes

Post by foggynotion » Wed May 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Woods wrote:Does "takes for granted sth. is not the case" equal "assumes sth. is the case"?
You're asking if "takes for granted something is NOT the case" means "assumes something is the case"? "Takes for granted" does equal "assumes", but that's not what you wrote. I just wanted to clarify...

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Wed May 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woods

New

Post by Woods » Wed May 23, 2012 10:36 pm

foggynotion wrote:
Woods wrote:Does "takes for granted sth. is not the case" equal "assumes sth. is the case"?
You're asking if "takes for granted something is NOT the case" means "assumes something is the case"? "Takes for granted" does equal "assumes", but that's not what you wrote. I just wanted to clarify...
Yep that's the question, so do they mean the same thing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed May 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Woods wrote: do they mean the same thing?
no

Try swapping them in the following sentences

My brother takes me for granted
She assumes things will work out

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 pm

One makes an Ass out of U and Me.

marlo45

New

Post by marlo45 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:27 pm

dingbat wrote:
no

They can mean the same thing. Your example is of a different context (perhaps the most common usage).

Taking something for granted also means to accept something as true without questioning. As in someone takes for granted he/she will get into HYS because he/she has a 178 and a 4.0. In this context 'takes for granted' and 'assume' are properly interchangeable.

TCR is it depends on the context.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed May 23, 2012 11:31 pm

marlo45 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
no

They can mean the same thing. Your example is of a different context (perhaps the most common usage).

Taking something for granted also means to accept something as true without questioning. As in someone takes for granted he/she will get into HYS because he/she has a 178 and a 4.0. In this context 'takes for granted' and 'assume' are properly interchangeable.

TCR

I almost said they can be interchangeable (typed, deleted) but the question was whether they equal each other, so I answered the question literally

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

marlo45

New

Post by marlo45 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:59 pm

dingbat wrote:
marlo45 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
no

TCR

I almost said they can be interchangeable (typed, deleted) but the question was whether they equal each other, so I answered the question literally
I get you. However, for the OP's sake a literal answer is misleading and may throw him/her off. I'm almost certain OP was referring to an LSAT question that goes something like 'what is the flaw in the author's reasoning?' and an answer choice like 'author takes for granted that...' If that is the case then [functionally] they mean the same thing.

Woods

New

Post by Woods » Thu May 24, 2012 12:45 am

marlo45 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
no

Please note the NOT in the question... I'm asking if "takes -X for granted" means the same thing as "assumes X".

marlo45

New

Post by marlo45 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:54 am

Yes. From what i can remember about those questions, whenever X is said to be taken for granted in an argument it means that X is assumed [as true] in the argument. Like i mentioned above, someone with a 178 and a 4.0 could conclude something like 'clearly i will get into HYS.' We could critique the argument by saying something like: 'that person takes for granted that everyone with those stats always gets into HYS.' Likewise, we could say: 'that person assumes that everyone with those stats always gets into HYS.' In this context, they mean the same thing.

foggynotion

New

Post by foggynotion » Thu May 24, 2012 2:05 am

Woods wrote: Please note the NOT in the question... I'm asking if "takes -X for granted" means the same thing as "assumes X".
Okay, then no. To take something for granted is to accept something as true without proof. To assume something is to accept it as true without proof. So to take something for granted, and to assume something, mean essentially the same thing.

But to take it for granted that X is not the case means that the person in question believes X is false, which definitely does not mean the same thing as assuming that X is the case, which would mean that the person believes X is true.. They're actually opposites. For instance, if I substitute "it's raining" for "X", then if I take it for granted that it's not the case that it's raining, that means I think it's not raining. But if I assume that it is raining, then I think it's raining. Those two statements contradict each other. I hope this makes sense!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

marlo45

New

Post by marlo45 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:09 am

foggynotion wrote:
Woods wrote: Please note the NOT in the question... I'm asking if "takes -X for granted" means the same thing as "assumes X".
Okay, then no. To take something for granted is to accept something as true without proof. To assume something is to accept it as true without proof. So to take something for granted, and to assume something, mean essentially the same thing.

But to take it for granted that X is not the case means that the person in question believes X is false, which definitely does not mean the same thing as assuming that X is the case, which would mean that the person believes X is true.. They're actually opposites. For instance, if I substitute "it's raining" for "X", then if I take it for granted that it's not the case that it's raining, that means I think it's not raining. But if I assume that it is raining, then I think it's raining. Those two statements contradict each other. I hope this makes sense!
TCR.
For some reason i 'took for granted' OP made a mistake with the not in the question because the thread title says Takes for granted vs. Assumes lol.

foggynotion

New

Post by foggynotion » Thu May 24, 2012 2:14 am

marlo45 wrote: For some reason i 'took for granted' OP made a mistake with the not in the question because the thread title says Takes for granted vs. Assumes lol.
Me too, but then I figured I'd ask.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu May 24, 2012 7:56 am

Woods wrote:
marlo45 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
no

Please note the NOT in the question... I'm asking if "takes -X for granted" means the same thing as "assumes X".
If that is your question, you have some big problems ahead of you....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”