Prep tests

lawschool2014hopeful

Prep tests

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Tue May 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Hey All,

I was wondering is there any major differences between the older prep tests (1-20) and the more recent ones (50+)

That is, if I do well on the earlier ones, should I expect similar performance on the later tests (except the RC change in 2005, has there been any more significant changes?)?

I am planning to save the later test/recent ones, near the test date, while using earlier ones as sectional practice, is that good idea?

Mr. Pancakes

Re: Prep tests

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 01, 2012 1:36 pm

I have used a similar technique as the one the you are describing.

Most people would say that the more recent test seem a little different, especially the last 2 or 3 years. I would make sure that you are familiar with the last 2 or 3 years worth of tests with ample time to get use to the subtle differences. I think you'll realize what I am talking about once you get to these tests.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Besides the comparative reading passages, the main thing I noticed are the frequency of principle questions in logical reasoning. Also, I think the games are a little bit harder, but that may just be me.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 01, 2012 1:37 pm

flem wrote:Besides the comparative reading passages, the main thing I noticed are the frequency of principle questions in logical reasoning. Also, I think the games are a little bit harder, but that may just be me.

TCR.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Tue May 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks, so there is more principle questions I am assuming?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:50 pm

Games are harder on the newer ones? Are you thinking specifically the last couple of years? I had always read that the games have changed somewhat, but generally gotten easier (at least as compared to PT 20 - 40 or so). Uh oh...

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 01, 2012 1:53 pm

elterrible78 wrote:Games are harder on the newer ones? Are you thinking specifically the last couple of years? I had always read that the games have changed somewhat, but generally gotten easier (at least as compared to PT 20 - 40 or so). Uh oh...

Caveat: games are my weakest section

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:55 pm

flem wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:Games are harder on the newer ones? Are you thinking specifically the last couple of years? I had always read that the games have changed somewhat, but generally gotten easier (at least as compared to PT 20 - 40 or so). Uh oh...

Mine too...or they were, at least. I have been consistently -0 or -1 on the sections from PT 48 up, but I haven't gotten to the high 50s or low 60s yet, so you've got me worried.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 01, 2012 1:58 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
flem wrote:

Mine too...or they were, at least. I have been consistently -0 or -1 on the sections from PT 48 up, but I haven't gotten to the high 50s or low 60s yet, so you've got me worried.

you need to look at the last couple of year's tests.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:you need to look at the last couple of year's tests.

Dinosaur game for the fucking lose

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
flem wrote:

you need to look at the last couple of year's tests.

That's certainly on the agenda, but I was going to do the last available PTs in chronological order leading up to game day in June. Do you think I should change that, and hit some of the later tests earlier?

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 01, 2012 2:06 pm

In all honesty, they might not be any harder as much as some of them are just weird.

I took the June '10 LSAT that had the game about mulch and stones, which isn't a hard game but it's outside the scope of your typical linear/grouping/hybrid games.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 01, 2012 2:09 pm

el,
I used that technique before one of my last LSATs and became a little flustered because I saved the most current tests for the last week. I would start going over the last couple of years 2009 with about two or three weeks to go. Just to give yourself an extra week to become familiar with any subtle differences you may notice.

what tflem is saying is what I seemed to notice too. It's not like they were all that harder but there was a different flow to the LR that I really couldn't put my finger on.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:el,
I used that technique before one of my last LSATs and became a little flustered because I saved the most current tests for the last week. I would start going over the last couple of years 2009 with about two or three weeks to go. Just to give yourself an extra week to become familiar with any subtle differences you may notice.

what tflem is saying is what I seemed to notice too. It's not like they were all that harder but there was a different flow to the LR that I really couldn't put my finger on.

Mr. Pancakes and tflem,

I really appreciate the heads up. I'll re-align my PT schedule to mix up the order (right now I've got PT 55 - 65 scheduled) so I can get a look at the most recent tests with some time to adjust. This dinosaurs game I keep hearing about...that's PT 57, am I right? And can anyone who has taken both it and that godforsaken motherfucking lizards and snakes game comment on their difficulty relative to each other?

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 01, 2012 2:21 pm

elterrible78 wrote:Mr. Pancakes and tflem,

I really appreciate the heads up. I'll re-align my PT schedule to mix up the order (right now I've got PT 55 - 65 scheduled) so I can get a look at the most recent tests with some time to adjust. This dinosaurs game I keep hearing about...that's PT 57, am I right? And can anyone who has taken both it and that godforsaken motherfucking lizards and snakes game comment on their difficulty relative to each other?

Is that the one about lizards and snakes in cages or something?

If I remember right, that game isn't really that hard if you understand the numerical distribution, but I could be thinking of a different game.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:56 pm

flem wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:Mr. Pancakes and tflem,

Is that the one about lizards and snakes in cages or something?

If I remember right, that game isn't really that hard if you understand the numerical distribution, but I could be thinking of a different game.

That's exactly the one I was talking about, and you're right about the game "not being hard if..." I have found that to be the case about ever single game I have encountered so far, though. Games that seemed impossible to me at one point later seemed extraordinarily easy once one key piece of information became clear.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue May 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Snakes and lizards was harder then Dino's for me personally, but I would have been fucked if I saw either of them on test day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”