Velocity LSAT- LG Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rglifberg

Bronze

Velocity LSAT- LG

Post by rglifberg » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Anyone have any first-hand experience on Velocity's take on LG. I heard it does not require as many deductions, any kind of example? I fucking suck at LG

bernaldiaz

Gold

Re: Velocity LSAT- LG

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:08 am

Yep. Really you don't need to make any deductions the way he teaches them. I did it and loved it. I'd say it's 100% worth the money.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:24 am

The logic games section, by definition, tests your skills with deductive logic.

To solve a game/its associated questions properly you have to make deductions since that is the main skill the section tests.

The mantra about not having to form deductions to answer the questions correctly is nonsense and is a marketing ploy to try and sell you a way that sounds easier. It's rubbish.

If you watch a few of the free DH logic game explanation videos (I don't suggest you do), he is forming deductions to solve the questions while also telling you not to make deductions. See the paradox anyone?

My take is that what he is advocating is to not spend a few minutes to make a thorough setup looking to form the major easy to determine available deductions before diving into the questions, but instead just jumping in and battling out the questions with brute force one by one. That is a typical TPR approach and not an efficient strategy for most LSAT logic games.

With most games, if you determine the major available deductions and create a decent setup before rushing into the questions, you can knock out the questions easily and quickly without having to write out a bunch of brute force hypotheticals.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:29 am

Jeffort wrote:The logic games section, by definition, tests your skills with deductive logic.

To solve a game/its associated questions properly you have to make deductions since that is the main skill the section tests.

The mantra about not having to form deductions to answer the questions correctly is nonsense and is a marketing ploy to try and sell you a way that sounds easier. It's rubbish.

If you watch a few of the free DH logic game explanation videos (I don't suggest you do), he is forming deductions to solve the questions.

My take is that what he is advocating is to not spend a few minutes to make a thorough setup looking to form the major easy to determine available deductions before diving into the questions, but instead just jumping in and battling out the questions with brute force one by one. That is a typical TPR approach and not an efficient strategy for most LSAT logic games.

With most games, if you determine the major available deductions and create a decent setup before rushing into the questions, you can knock out the questions easily and quickly without having to write out a bunch of brute force hypotheticals.
I took the Testmaster course and I did not improve at all on LG. Their approach revolved heavily around the set-up and making key deductions in order to solve the games. Some of the deductions, in my opinion, were ridiculously hard to make, unless maybe you're rain man. So yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards trying out his course and seeing if a different approach works.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:34 am

Do Velocity. Obviously you make the deductions eventually, but with Powerscore you were expected to make them first and if you missed them it was bad. With Velocity, the approach is more focused on just attacking the problem and working through it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:58 am

bernaldiaz wrote:Do Velocity. Obviously you make the deductions eventually, but with Powerscore you were expected to make them first and if you missed them it was bad. With Velocity, the approach is more focused on just attacking the problem and working through it.
Cool thanks man I'm gonna give it a shot

pizzabrosauce

New

Post by pizzabrosauce » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:10 am

I bought the Velocity comprehensive soley for the LG, and to be honest I think it was worth it b/c it helped me get over a certain hump.

Jeffort is right tho, you are still making smaller deductions. I think my background with other prep like LGB was important.

The difference from before though, is that I'm searching my mind through a smaller list, I've narrowed my sights so to speak.

I think a great analogy Dave made is doing long division vs. figuring it out in your head:

While deducing the whole thing in your head is sexy and impressive, long division involves repeatedly doing smaller calculations..but its reliable and ultimately works.

penguinbrah

New

Post by penguinbrah » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:45 am

i'm doing the velocity course right now.. and i have certainly improved on LG.. used to get -8 to -10 and now only get -1 to -2 per section. definitely worth it because it is a set method that you can use for every type of game - all you need to do is practice it and get fast at it.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Awesome, thanks! I think I'm gonna buy the games course tomorrow

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 am

I'd say check out the free videos and decide if it's up your alley. I was terrible at games, and really couldn't get the hang of making a major deduction in every game (assuming their was one). I often found myself just panicking as time ticked away. Dave has received quite a bit of flak on this board recently, but I can only speak towards my experience with the class. I have improved on LG vastly, and as I said, if the videos seem to click with you, I'd personally recommend the course. People have a ton of success using other methods (Manhattan, PS) as well, but they simply didn't work for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”