My Dream: Score 173 and Become .... LSAT Tutor!

LSAT_Tutor

My Dream: Score 173 and Become .... LSAT Tutor!

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:37 am

* 173 will place me in 99th percentile which should be sufficient for tutoring
* I should be able to achieve the score because I have achieved high GRE scores before (98th in Logic on the old GRE and 99th in Biochemistry)
* I have not taken a serious test in 15 years
* I have not actually seen any LSAT questions yet :roll:

will document my progress, if any, here

outlookingin

Re: My Dream: Score 173 and Become .... LSAT Tutor!

Postby outlookingin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:39 am

LSAT_Tutor wrote:* 173 will place me in 99th percentile which should be sufficient for tutoring
* I should be able to achieve the score because I have achieved high GRE scores before (98th in Logic on the old GRE and 99th in Biochemistry)

So what is the pay like? And for whom would you like to work for?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:47 am

I feel confident that this isn't an attempt to drum up business for a half-assed tutoring service.

Carry on.

I, too, have never seen an LSAT question. Which is why I post on a law school website.

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:26 am

Ford Prefect wrote:I feel confident that this isn't an attempt to drum up business for a half-assed tutoring service.

Carry on.

I, too, have never seen an LSAT question. Which is why I post on a law school website.

i get a feeling that you will make a great lawyer...

but what i wrote is true.

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:31 am

outlookingin wrote:
LSAT_Tutor wrote:* 173 will place me in 99th percentile which should be sufficient for tutoring

So what is the pay like? And for whom would you like to work for?

ideally, i would like to work for myself. i have seen $20 to $175 range, not sure what's the realistic rate is.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:46 am

lol?

nah try better next time

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:20 pm

I don't think you can compare the GRE and the LSAT; they test different things. So basically what you've scored on the GRE is not necessarily indicative of your capabilities on the LSAT.

With that being said, I DO, however, believe that working hard at mastering this test and scoring well can be accomplished.

Good luck!

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:10 am

"I certify that I am the examinee whose name appears on this ticket, and that I plan to take the LSAT for the sole purpose of being considered for admission to law school"

You have to sign this when you take the test...

lol, i'm just giving you a hard time though, best of luck !

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:37 am

gaud wrote:"I certify that I am the examinee whose name appears on this ticket, and that I plan to take the LSAT for the sole purpose of being considered for admission to law school"

You have to sign this when you take the test...

lol, i'm just giving you a hard time though, best of luck !

thanks, I did not know that.
I will have 5 years to decide to become a lawyer so I don't see a problem there.

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:40 am

Geetar Man wrote:

I don't think you can compare the GRE and the LSAT; they test different things. So basically what you've scored on the GRE is not necessarily indicative of your capabilities on the LSAT.

With that being said, I DO, however, believe that working hard at mastering this test and scoring well can be accomplished.

Good luck!

i know that i will have to work to get a good score. when i took GRE i had to practice for the analytical section before i could get a good score. i expect the same with LSAT.

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:54 am

I am purposefully avoiding looking at the actual LSAT puzzles so that not get biased when I actually start testing myself.

What I understood so far is that the official tests prior to #51 are ~3 points easier than the newer ones. Looks like #51 is the free June 2007 test offered by LSAC. I may as well test myself on it first and then use several newer tests to monitor my progress. I could use tests <51 for practice.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:27 am

Slow down, it's only been a few days and you're already thinking about looking at actual LSAT questions?

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:52 am

there is no rush. it's better to take it slow first than to rush things and deal with a mess later.
for example, i have learned that there are 1000s of questions from the actual LSAT tests available. thus, there is no obvious need to start reading prep books until one has done many genuine tests. the books could actually be harmful.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:41 pm

I wouldn't use the books yet either.. just spend a few more days thinking about the LSAT in an abstract way.. maybe make a few more posts about your experience.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:44 pm

suspicious android wrote:I wouldn't use the books yet either.. just spend a few more days thinking about the LSAT in an abstract way.. maybe make a few more posts about your experience.

lol.

anyway, why not score a 173 and become a lawyer instead?

also, I scored a 173 and I feel extremely unqualified to tutor anyone, so I hope your experience differs from mine.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:20 pm

suspicious android wrote:I wouldn't use the books yet either.. just spend a few more days thinking about the LSAT in an abstract way.. maybe make a few more posts about your experience.

This is for sure the best way to go about it.
snehpets wrote:anyway, why not score a 173 and become a lawyer instead?

At least for some people, this question answers itself. :P

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:22 am

back in the days i invested quite a bit of time preparing for various GRE tests. i had to identify my strong and weak points, find the right study materials, create a study plan, modify my study in a creative way so that i could actually stick with it and not being bored to death. by the time I was done with my GREs, I knew quite a bit how GRE tests work.

LSAT is a similar beast and should be approached slowly and methodically.

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:53 am

I have looked at my GRE experience to see if I could learn what may be expected when trying to improve LSAT scores. I took GRE percentile ranks for Verbal and Analytical sections and converted them to LSAT points.

For my GRE i studied hard for ~ 6 months and have scores before and after. My improvement on GRE is equivalent to +6-11 points on LSAT. I know that I studied hard and really earned those points.

I strongly suspect that this level of improvement is as good as one can get: ~ +10 points/ 6months while studying 6 hr/day and using the most effective study methods. Anything above this is simply unrealistic to expect.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:56 am

Dude, you be crazy.

Lots of us on here are LSAT tutors as a byproduct of having taken the LSAT and having time to kill before law school. I enjoy tutoring, and I like seeing people succeed, but it's not the end all and be all of the world.

You are also way, way ahead of yourself. If you really want to tutor, take a diagnostic LSAT. See where you are. See if it's worth the time effort for what gains you might make.

badfish

Postby badfish » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:59 am

I've seen people do this. Never quite understood it but I've seen people do it.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:59 am

Why don't you just become a GRE tutor?

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:09 am

sunynp wrote:Why don't you just become a GRE tutor?

Sure, I would like to tutor GRE as well. In fact, I will probably be tutoring a couple of students for it in a month or so when I have more time.

I like challenges. It will be fun to try to ace a different test such as LSAT and have it under my belt.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:29 am

OP, your idea makes no logical sense whatsoever. Image

The idiom "putting the cart before the horse" comes to mind regarding your plan and order of operations.

Perhaps you should pause and think Image, take some time to look at, analyze and work some LSAT questions, get familiar with the test and determine/improve your aptitude before even considering trying to teach others how to perform well. Does that sound fair and reasonable?

I think you either have it all mentally reversed and discombobulated if you are sincere or otherwise are just a lame troll/flame poster.

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:11 am

If you truly want to be a professional LSAT tutor, why on earth would you dream of scoring 173? If you don't feel like scoring 180 is within your reach, you should probably rethink being a tutor.

bruss

Postby bruss » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:09 am

Op wtf plz tell me if this does not parallel your logic.

I've done well as a street racer so I'm aiming to be the next champ at formula1. I've never seen an F1 race but I've heard it involves driving. I think the best approach to achieve this goal is to formulate a plan, invest time and effort, before I watch film of the cars or before I test drive a F1 style car.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”