Reading Comprehension Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PrinceKasra

New

Reading Comprehension

Post by PrinceKasra » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:53 am

I got my lsat test next saturday and I am still debating if I should take it. My last five practice tests have ranged from a 151 to a 161. My logical reasoning averages around 16-21 and my games about 19-23. But I have been struggling with reading comprehension averaging about 12-18. I was wondering if there is any way to consistently get around 19 at least right every time I do it. That is whats costing me my score differences. Some days I would get 17 and others like 12. Its horrible and I am so frustrated. I do not know if 8 days is enough time to improve it. There must be something I am weak on because when I write on the side of the passage I still miss about 2-3 questions per each one unless its like the first passage. Maybe my tagging sucks or maybe I need to just read faster and comprehend the overall purpose of each paragraph. I noticed I am weakest on easier passages because some of them have literature and art topics that I struggle with. I do not want to go to a school I hate just because I was too slow on comprehending some stupid passage. I was hoping I could get advice on the best way to prepare for it for the next week.

roranoa

Silver

Re: Reading Comprehension

Post by roranoa » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:26 am

One advice I can give you is, "don't take the test" I kid you not you will regret it. Or take it and cancel it immediately.

You can improve on RC by reading for structure. I recommend you look through a thread by the name of Dave Hall. I'm not a student of his but an avid reader of his advice on this forum.

Bottom line is...don't take the test at this point. You can improve.

ExcelBaller

New

Re: Reading Comprehension

Post by ExcelBaller » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Same thing used to happen to me all the time, but fight through it. The more passages you do, timed or untimed, you will start to see that questions are very similar. main point of passage, inference, author agrees/disagrees about, what did the author mean by ____ in line X-X, what did this group think about ___, etc. Once this clicked I began to read with these questions in mind and the RC section sort of unlocked itself.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”