HELP--Online Course for December? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mrq1675

New

HELP--Online Course for December?

Post by mrq1675 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I got a 165 on the october 2011 test. I'm planning on taking the December test and I'm wondering what the best way to study for it is at this point. I'm aiming for a mid 170s score, which I had been scoring on PTs prior to the October LSAT. My problem seems to be consistency, which seems to have contributed to me scoring well below my average on the October test. I'm wondering where I should go from here. In preparing for the October LSAT, I self-studied by using the bible series and just doing a lot of practice tests. I'm now considering an online course. My concern is that there is not too much time before the December test and I wanted to know if anyone had any experience or thoughts about this. I've heard good things about the Testmasters online class but am not sure if its worth the time and money this close to the exam. Do people think this would be a good way to build consistency or would I be better off just continuing with self study (maybe trying the Manhattan LSAT series?) Any thoughts would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

bp shinners

Gold

Re: HELP--Online Course for December?

Post by bp shinners » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:30 pm

The usefulness of a course is going to be determined by how well you have the basics down at this point. A 165 suggests a pretty decent understanding of the logic behind the LSAT, but some problems with implementing the methods/strategies. An online course, while great at getting the concepts across, is probably not going to help you at this point, as I think you'd benefit more from working with someone who could diagnose your specific weaknesses and help you shore them up.

If you have any questions about Blueprint's course, however, feel free to send me a PM.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:56 pm

I just noticed you were asking about our self-study program. So you know, we have live online courses, and self-study programs. The difference is, obviously, whether you have a teacher actually interacting with you or whether it's recordings. Usually when folks are trying to choose between self study or live online I suggest they start with self-study, as it's cheaper (about $400 for ours). Then, if they realize they really need a live teacher digging into their brain's particular issues, we let you apply that money to a course - so, it's sort of no-risk. For the December LSAT, the last class began about a week ago (it's an accelerated class). It'd be a bit late to join, but a couple of folks did. If you want to see a recording of it, pm me, and you could see if joining would be helpful to you. I don't want to overrepresent things - it might be that you just need to get in more practice implementing what you've learned. But, if you're simply a smart person and you're just using raw brain intuition, you might benefit from someone forcing you to use the techniques. It's hard to improve on simply thinking hard, while it's significantly easier to improve on techniques. I agree with bp shinners that a tutor might be a good solution, though our classes (and perhaps some others out there) are designed to not leave high-scorers bored...

Good luck!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:06 pm

I liked manhattan lsat and I used their self prep online course after canceling my october score. I think I had a bigger time slot then you but I was working as well. If you can commit most of everyday from here until december I think you could do well.

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:19 am

Velocity

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”