PT 9, Game 2 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ngogirl

Bronze

PT 9, Game 2

Post by ngogirl » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:51 am

Hi I posted my question on the Manhattan forum last night, and have not heard back, can someone please, please, PLEASE help me out??

I took a picture of my diagram, but I don't know how to attach it to this post...

I need help with #s 9 and 11.

I am one of the preppers who frames the in/out games.

For #9, I had my answers narrowed down to B, C, D and I guessed B. From all my hypotheticals, I wasn't able to eliminate one of the 3, because they all appeared. Do you have any idea how I can derive at the correct answer?

For #11, I was choosing between B and E, I chose E because both N and L restrict the other answers into place based on the rule. Why is it B? My diagram was: in KNLQ out MJP. Is B the answer because K and L can exist without N and Q? but in this case, N and Q ARE in so that would force K and L to be in, sorry, this is enervating me!!!

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Re: PT 9, Game 2

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:27 am

Since I'll end up answering it there too, here goes!

#9: you could consider the game like this:

In: K/J, N/P, ? ?
Out, K/J, N/P, ?

Who's left to fill those empty slots? Q, L and M. We'll need to use two of them. So, any answer that says we need one of the two of them will be correct. B nails it! Every other answer includes one of the other elements.

I'll look at 11 in a second.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:31 am

For 11, with M out, you know that Q and L must be in to fill the two slots that K/J and N/P won't fill. With Q in, we know K is in, J is out. So, we end up with this:

In: N/P, K, Q, L
Out: N/P, J, M

(B) is a clear winner.

(A) references J, who is out.
(C) references P, an unknown.
(D) references P, an unknown.
(E) references N, an unknown.

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks so much! That really clarified things for me!! :lol: :D :) :wink:

With #11, I forced N to go in, precluding the realization that P can also go in!! Thanks Noah!

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:35 pm

In in/out, it is generally easier to focus on who you don't have over who you do have when there's an exact # as on any game in the LSAT's history when a number is specified, it's always greater than 50% of the characters. By default it's therefore quicker to just find out who you don't have so rules like if A then no B, become especially valuable as you know that at least one of them will not be there going into each "if" question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”