LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSAT Blog

Silver

LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Post by LSAT Blog » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:26 pm

So, while they're still denying nursing moms extra time on the LSAT to pump breastmilk (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=167563), LSAC just reached a settlement with the Justice Department over this case of a test-taker with ADD and a learning disability:
As part of the settlement, the council agreed to double the standard testing time on each section and to allow the complainant breaks between sections, a separate and quiet testing area, permission to use his own computer for the writing section, permission to use scratch paper and use of an alternative answer sheet.
The test-taker in question has "received testing accommodations from elementary school through his graduation in three years from the University of Minnesota in 2009, including on national standardized tests such as PSAT, SAT and Advanced Placement exams."

More details at http://www.startribune.com/local/131068848.html

tedler

Gold

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Post by tedler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:32 pm

I almost posted this in the October wait thread but was afraid of the things I'd say in response to it...

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm sorry I started reading your post but then my video game just called to me; what- i'm at home right now-oops I thought I was texting. So what is this post about?

*documented evidence

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Not only should they get twice the time, so should many sufferers of ADD. However, their scores should be evaluated separately from other test-takers.

Can you imagine what the curve would be? -3 would be a 170; fine by me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:39 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:So, while they're still denying nursing moms extra time on the LSAT to pump breastmilk (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=167563), LSAC just reached a settlement with the Justice Department over this case of a test-taker with ADD and a learning disability:
As part of the settlement, the council agreed to double the standard testing time on each section and to allow the complainant breaks between sections, a separate and quiet testing area, permission to use his own computer for the writing section, permission to use scratch paper and use of an alternative answer sheet.
The test-taker in question has "received testing accommodations from elementary school through his graduation in three years from the University of Minnesota in 2009, including on national standardized tests such as PSAT, SAT and Advanced Placement exams."

More details at http://www.startribune.com/local/131068848.html
I would like to know what his LD is outside of ADD because he managed some ridiculous accommodations. Twice the time and scratch paper for LG. Wow. Though someone should've probably told him not to worry about the computer for the writing sample.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:39 pm

Angrygeopolitically wrote:I'm sorry I started reading your post but then my video game just called to me; what- i'm at home right now-oops I thought I was texting. So what is this post about?

*documented evidence
:mrgreen:

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 pm

Forrest Gump, UMinn '12

tedler

Gold

Post by tedler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 pm

tedler wrote:
"They are of the belief that giving extra time is giving an advantage, but there is no credible proof that that's the case."
I'd like to have a word with this fellow...
If extra time isn't an advantage why would he file seven different law suits seeking extra time? So he could get the same score while spending twice as much free time on a Saturday? I don't have a problem with LSAC being more flexible to accommodate learning disabilities, nursing mothers, and the like but don't piss on my foot and tell me it's raining...

lsatprepguy

Bronze

Post by lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:19 pm

double time is absolutely ridiculous.... ridiculous.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Double time is a guaranteed 180 for me, no question. That's BS. I can see them giving him an extra 5 minutes and a bathroom break, but double time?
Last edited by Blumpbeef on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mmk33

Bronze

Post by mmk33 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:21 pm

This is a joke. Anyone could get 170+ with double time, and someone getting mid-160s under normal timing would be guaranteed 177+.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:22 pm

I have a feeling all the time in the world won't make a difference for this guy.

Bronze

Post by 06162014123 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

lsatprepguy

Bronze

Post by lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 pm

RedShift wrote:I fail to see how half of those accommodations are even relevant to ADD. Extra time and breaks I get, but using a computer? Alternative answer sheet? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the symptoms of the disorder, but those don't appear necessary for someone who can't focus and/or is hyperactive.

In at least some English universities they allow students with dyslexia and the like extra time on all exams, but they also stamp their transcripts to identify them as students who receive special accommodations. I like the idea, personally. By putting an asterisk next to their grades and standardized test scores you alert graduate programs and possibly some employers to the issue and let them figure out how to handle it.
Well LSAC notes that the test was taken under accomodations I think

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 pm

RedShift wrote:I fail to see how half of those accommodations are even relevant to ADD. Extra time and breaks I get, but using a computer? Alternative answer sheet? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the symptoms of the disorder, but those don't appear necessary for someone who can't focus and/or is hyperactive.

In at least some English universities they allow students with dyslexia and the like extra time on all exams, but they also stamp their transcripts to identify them as students who receive special accommodations. I like the idea, personally. By putting an asterisk next to their grades and standardized test scores you alert graduate programs and possibly some employers to the issue and let them figure out how to handle it.
I thought all LSAT-takers who received accommodations had a note on the score report designating so? Is that not the case?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatprepguy

Bronze

Post by lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 pm

tmon wrote:

I thought all LSAT-takers who received accommodations had a note on the score report designating so? Is that not the case?
"If you receive additional test time as an accommodation for your condition, LSAC will send a statement with your Credential Assembly Service (CAS) or LSAT Law School Reports advising that your score(s) should be interpreted with great sensitivity and flexibility. "

tedler

Gold

Post by tedler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:33 pm

[/quote]
I thought all LSAT-takers who received accommodations had a note on the score report designating so? Is that not the case?[/quote]

+1

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:34 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:

Well LSAC notes that the test was taken under accomodations I think
But these aren't normal accommodations.

Maybe they'll give him double asterisks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:35 pm

I'd like to know what the unspecified learning disability is that the article mentions this guy as having. For all we know it could justify these accommodations.

Although if you'd all prefer to get mad on imperfect information then I can yield to the complaints of DEY TURK ER SCORES.

lsatprepguy

Bronze

Post by lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:35 pm

tedler wrote:If law schools are actually able to discriminate based on the "asterisk" (as they should be), it kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
but how do you know they will? i wonder if tests taken under accommodations are factored into the medians for the entering class

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:36 pm

dhrizek wrote:So is he going to bill half price when he becomes a lawyer?

Double time is a guaranteed 180 for me, no question. That's BS. I can see them giving him an extra 5 minutes and a bathroom break, but double time?
Double time is a guaranteed 180 for me... and I'm just hoping I got a 165 last Saturday

Seriously fuck this... people that abuse things like this are the reason why people who really have problems end up getting screwed

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'd like to know what the unspecified learning disability is that the article mentions this guy as having. For all we know it could justify these accommodations.

Although if you'd all prefer to get mad on imperfect information then I can yield to the complaints of DEY TURK ER SCORES.
Isn't it ADD?

And we're just here to kill time,

because dey wunt giv us ar scores!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”