How much time should you spend reading a LG stimulus? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
notaznguy

Bronze

How much time should you spend reading a LG stimulus?

Post by notaznguy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:19 pm

I often make mistakes when I'm reading the LG stimulus and rules because I'm trying to rush through it and read it as fast as I can so I can begin diagramming. One of my biggest problems with LG right now is time. I seem to always be able to complete only 3/4 games or 3.5/4 games in a section. Sometimes, misreading one of these rules costs me a big mistake and I end up having to reread the rules again and trying to fix everything. So how long should I spend reading everything before diagramming?

gaud

Platinum

Re: How much time should you spend reading a LG stimulus?

Post by gaud » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:22 pm

notaznguy wrote:I often make mistakes when I'm reading the LG stimulus and rules because I'm trying to rush through it and read it as fast as I can so I can begin diagramming. One of my biggest problems with LG right now is time. I seem to always be able to complete only 3/4 games or 3.5/4 games in a section. Sometimes, misreading one of these rules costs me a big mistake and I end up having to reread the rules again and trying to fix everything. So how long should I spend reading everything before diagramming?

I do not believe that there is a specific amount of time that could apply to every LG you come across.

I think you should focus more on just taking your time and making absolutely sure that you are diagramming correctly... whether it takes 30 seconds, a minute, or even two minutes is irrelevant considering the consequences that a rushed 'read' will likely have.

Obelisk18

New

Post by Obelisk18 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:29 pm

I've tended to read things too fast and occasionally make mistakes on games merely due to misreading. So tomorrow, I'm spending 30-45 minutes just reading slowly, diagramming rules, crossing them out, etc. No attempt to do any of the games. Just reading, diagramming, crossing out, again and again. That's going to be my last substantive bit of preparation. The rest of tomorrow is going to be devoted (except for another 30-45 minutes practicing circling and bubbling) to relaxation and recuperation.

Redzo

Bronze

Post by Redzo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:34 pm

As long as it takes you to read it accurately, and no more.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:28 pm

Generally, for students who run into the 'oh crap I diagrammed wrong, I need to go fix it!' problem, I recommend reading the setup, making your setup, then reading each rule and diagramming it separately (don't shortcut and combine them yet). Then, double check each rule individually. Then you can start making deductions. It sounds much slower, but they usually end up finishing faster because they don't waste 2 minutes with an incorrect setup. And, in reality, checking a rule you've already diagrammed should take a few seconds.

benito

Bronze

Post by benito » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:24 pm

the list question usually provides a helpful hint if you've diagrammed a rule backwards or incorrectly....if there are multiple answer choices that violate a rule, especially if there are more than two that do so, definitely take a second to double check your interpretation of the rule.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”