Parallel Reasoning help.

ag912

Parallel Reasoning help.

Postby ag912 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm having a lot of issues with Parallel Flaw and Parallel Reasoning questions. Although I'm drilling them they dont click with me like the other question types. Does anyone have any advice?

msuz

Re: Parallel Reasoning help.

Postby msuz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:11 pm

PR are my weakness too, esp. since they are usually so long. So I skip most of them since there are only 2-4 per section usually. This allows me to usually finish a LR section with 5 mins left over, so afterwards I go back through and take my time on those Qs

tedler

Postby tedler » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:29 pm

tedler wrote:These questions can be daunting, if only due to their ridiculous length. Are you thoroughly diagramming the stimulus? That's by far the most important part of parallel reasoning. Also, use the question stem to eliminate incorrect answer choices--if it tells you the stimulus' argument is flawed, then the correct answer will be flawed as well, so you can eliminate answers that have valid arguments, and vice versa.

Do you really have enough time to draw diagrams? If so, more power to you. I was comfortable hitting the first 15 in 15 minutes, leaving me 10 mins for the tougher questions. I'd never have felt like I had sufficient time on test day if I'd been drawing things for LR.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm not very fast on LR meaning that I honestly vary between being at 17 minutes in for the first 15 to if I'm lucky, 15, to 20. I always finish though, but take my advice w/ a grain of salt.

PR's seem to come in two types to me, or that's how I process it. There's either an easy logical assumption or conclusion (like the whole being greater than each part, etc) that I usually don't diagram bc the concept is what we're matching or something where it's heavily conditional and diagramming becomes a necessity for me. The first type of Qs tend to be easy, esp if you're good at 'flaw' questions I'd think, mainly bc you're matching a big idea and not abstract letters.

For the second type, if you ignore the actual substance of the argument and just write over everything the letters and arrows and separate a conclusion, you can do this with your choices as well. But for me, the trick is to not pay any attention at all to what I'm reading; it should be rote substitution of letters. I struggled a lot on PR and I'd be so upset with myself for not being 'good at diagramming' when really, I was just going about it wrong. If you have an argument that's A>B>C>D therefor ~D>~A, the second you have a premise that breaks this chain in your answer choices, just say fuck it, accept it's not right, and move on to the next one. I'd waste so much time working it to the end and trying to force an answer to fit just because it was right up until the third part and it had attractive verbage when none of that shit matters.

gl bro

Gizmo

Postby Gizmo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:00 am

PR used to be my weakest question type, but I found diagramming entire answers a bit slow. So, after eliminating obviously wrong answers, I just compared pronouns/verbs/sentence structure directly and immediately discarded answers that didn't line up properly. Basically, I didn't transpose any questions. I just looked at the stimulus/answer and decided if both objects were "A". If yes, I moved on to check "B". If not, I could cross the answer off. I It's not an elegant solution, but it worked for me.

At first I went back end re-checked those answers right after I finished, but once I did it a couple of times and knew the the bounds of the comparisons, they assumed just as much priority as any other question.

ag912

Postby ag912 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:23 am

thanks guys!

tedler

Postby tedler » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:44 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”