Getting from the high 160s securely into the 170s range

Getting from the high 160s securely into the 170s range

Postby mmk33 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:33 pm

What suggestions do TLS users have on moving from mid-160s into the solid 170s range. I am following Pithypike's method and have completed all three Superprep tests. I got a 168 on A, a 172 on B, and then a--disappointing--165 on C. I've done a bunch of LR, LG, and RC sections and occasionally i have gotten -0 but usually I have gotten -2 to -5/-6. In some cases these incorrect responses are due to misreading the question or running out of time, and in others I genuinely have a hard time seeing the rationale for one answer choice rather than another good one. At this point I feel that I understand the format of the test, the types of questions that are posed, and the timing quite well.

I am taking the test October 1 and am planning to take LSAT #52-63 as practice tests between now and then, as well as working through the Kaplan mastery practice book and working on full length sections from earlier tests. I am thinking at this point that the best method of preparation would be to return again and again to the problems I am getting wrong to see why I failed to get the right answer and what techniques will help for the real test. Any thoughts or advice from users who have scored in the 170s or who had a breakthrough would be appreciated. Basically, the question is how to most efficiently eliminate test weaknesses without wasting time/prep materials/increasing frustration which leads to poor performance.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Getting from the high 160s securely into the 170s range

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Drill games. Do every logic game you can find, more than once if needed. You should walk into that test absolutely sure you will not miss any questions in the games section. If you are already in the high 160s while missing some games questions, getting down to -0 will get you over 170.

Then get cocky. You've already learned all the concepts to answer every lr and rc question correctly. Tell yourself that there is no reason why you should get any question wrong. If you miss one, make sure you thoroughly understand why.

Once you get to test day, you should look around and smile when you think about how unprepared everyone else in the room is. Then you will laugh when you remember how on August 18th you asked people on tls how to get over 170, because 170 has long since left your rear view mirror. Good luck!

Postby Kurst » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:26 pm

It would also be worth it to get more specific in your self-evaluation.

-2 vs. -5/-6 in LR doesn't really impart that much information.

But if you are consistently
2/4 on Assumption questions and 3/3 on Flaw, then you see what you have to work on. And I agree about your swag. Don't accept -2. That's at LEAST two questions you need to fully understand, and probably more, since I assume there were 2 or 3 questions you got right where you guessed 50/50

The LSATblog LR spreadsheet is downloadable here: ... sheet.html

Also, I would consider working through LG problems you get wrong (or are slow on) multiple times.
Doing the same problem back to back will be surprisingly beneficial if you are not going "I remember number 9 is C." The second time you might see that next inference you missed or may diagram slightly different.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”