LG/RC = easy, LR = hard

DWinter18

LG/RC = easy, LR = hard

Postby DWinter18 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:20 am

Just like the topic title says, I have no trouble at all with LG and rarely any with RC. If I get any wrong, it's usually -2 on either. LR though, is killing me. I usually get about -5 per section, sometimes up to -7 on one section, and it's always enough to keep me out of 170 range. I'm taking the October test and want to score about a 175. I've been studying since about February, because I was initially going to take the June test but switched to the October to give myself more time. I've gone through the LRB and I'm reviewing it again, but many on this board seem to think the Manhattan LR prep book is just as good if not better. Should I order it now and get through it while I still have ample time? I plan on taking a test every other day until test day, so I would be going through that book on off days. Like I said, I'm very comfortable with LG and RC - it's just LR that brings me down.

tl;dr - Only have trouble with LR, went through LRB, should I get Manhattan LR book?

bhan87

Re: LG/RC = easy, LR = hard

Postby bhan87 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:45 am

I really don't think the Manhattan book will be necessary.

Go back through the last few tests you've taken and categorize all the questions you got wrong. Come back with some specific question types and we can give you advice on how to study for them.

But, some general advice I can give you is to go over the chapter on Flawed Reasoning once more. Study every flaw in detail, understand how it sounds in a LR prompt. Then, go back to every Flaw, Necessary Assumption, Sufficient Assumption, Weaken, Strengthen, and Parallel Flaw question you've had and categorize all of those flaws. Flawed reasoning appears on over half the questions (either directly or indirectly). All of the above mentioned question types require you to first identify a type of flaw before you answer the question. Thus, if you can become a flaw master, much of the LR section falls into place.

DWinter18

Postby DWinter18 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:51 am

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should have mentioned what I've been doing for my LR studying. When I review the sections, I go over every single question, even ones I got right, rereading all the answer choices, explaining to myself why certain answers are wrong and why others aren't, etc. Any questions I get wrong I type out, highlight my incorrect answer in red, the correct answer in blue, and go through my reasoning behind why I picked the wrong answer, then explain why it's wrong and explain why the right answer is right. I have done this for over 100 questions by now. I think I just need to keep doing tons of questions. I am going to compile a list tomorrow of all the questions I got wrong - I also broke down each section by question stem, so I will be able to pinpoint areas that have given me the most wrong answers. I suspect Flaw will be among them, so I'll definitely review that chapter.

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:49 pm

I have a similar skill set/problem. I would recommend the Manhattan book (I feel like half my posts say this). Instead of continuing to PT, I would recommend drilling by type, or at least supplementing PTs with drills.

To echo the above poster, if not Manhattan, at least monitor the types of questions you're missing and drill those with PS methods.

I'm a retaker and I know it's a bummer to return to drilling, but it's hard to translate lessons learned in the rush of a PT.

Also, LR only gets harder (starting at 50 maybe), so be prepared and don't get discouraged.

over9000

Postby over9000 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Drill the LR questions by type from the Kaplan Mastery or another similar book - it helped me immensely. Be sure to review every single mistake thoroughly. You'll find patterns in the questions and be able to isolate your weaknesses more.

ars12

Postby ars12 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:17 am

Download 3link's spreadsheet. This is my 3rd retake (152/163), so I obviously needed to do something different in my prep. Since downloading 3link's spreadsheet, I have been able to attack my glaring weaknesses (mostly flaw questions). By focusing on my weaknesses, I have made significant improvement, although I am not yet perfecting any LR sections yet. I am fully confident that by using his spreadsheet, you will be able to find and attack your weaknesses more efficiently. Good luck in your prep.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”