Cancel or Keep?

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Cancel or Keep?

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:23 pm

Ran out of time on LG (guessed blindly on 4) and on LR2 (guessed blindly on 3). Felt great about everything else.

at worst i will miss at least -16 questions, at best -10. Assuming the curve is 10-12 wrong for a 170, should i cancel or not? got a 158 and a cancel already on record. What to do?

P.S. for oct, no practice tests left, but i feel like im taking Oct whether or not i keep this score.

Please help, advice needed!

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Cancel or Keep?

Postby delusional » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:28 pm

99.9luft wrote:Ran out of time on LG (guessed blindly on 4) and on LR2 (guessed blindly on 3). Felt great about everything else.

at worst i will miss at least -16 questions, at best -10. Assuming the curve is 10-12 wrong for a 170, should i cancel or not? got a 158 and a cancel already on record. What to do?

P.S. for oct, no practice tests left, but i feel like im taking Oct whether or not i keep this score.

Please help, advice needed!

Why would you cancel? You already have a 158, and minus 16 is already substantially better. So it will only help your average.

BTW, can you even take it again, with three results posted?

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Cancel or Keep?

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks for your response!

Here the dilemma: say i get smth mid-160ish (like 165-166). Is it bad to have two mediocre scores (i need a 172) or will another cancel look worse (both, assuming that i am retaking in Oct)

(I can get a school to get me a permission to take it for the 4th time)

thecynic69
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: Cancel or Keep?

Postby thecynic69 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:35 pm

99.9luft wrote:Ran out of time on LG (guessed blindly on 4) and on LR2 (guessed blindly on 3). Felt great about everything else.

at worst i will miss at least -16 questions, at best -10. Assuming the curve is 10-12 wrong for a 170, should i cancel or not? got a 158 and a cancel already on record. What to do?

P.S. for oct, no practice tests left, but i feel like im taking Oct whether or not i keep this score.

Please help, advice needed!


tough call. do cancels count as takes for the purpose of the three takes in 2 year limitation? if so, definitely keep. if not, as i said, tough call.

ETA: in the event of the close call scenario, it depends where you are applying/what your goals are. so if it ends up being a close call, more info needed, i think.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cancel or Keep?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Cancels count.

Minus 16 may be a 165 if the curve is minus 10 for a 170. A score of 165 is significantly better than your prior score of 158.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Cancel or Keep?

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:02 am

thank you for the replies, guys!

yeah, say i get a 165 - that's better than another cancel, right?

newyorkterp
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Cancel or Keep?

Postby newyorkterp » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:04 am

Based on the most recent tests, -20 has been 165. -16 might still get you in the upper 160's.

cupcake.
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Cancel or Keep?

Postby cupcake. » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:08 am

The only way I'd cancel (and I've taken the test twice, and last time I was pretty sure (and I did) bomb is if:

1. The school(s) I was applying to averaged scores.
2. I knew without a shadow of a doubt I'd score higher next time.
3. Not having taken the LSAT at all before (and I'm assuming you haven't) will not cause a delay in applying to any schools you are applying to.

If all these things are true, and I really suspect you have no way of being sure of #2, I wouldn't cancel. Now, say, you were PTing at 170sish and know for a fact you got below a 163, like you really felt you bombed a section that was not experimental, then I'd cancel...but still, I'd think long and hard.

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Cancel or Keep?

Postby coldshoulder » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:33 am

Keep it man, who knows if something drastic happens in October (family emergency, test day craziness, etc) so if all else fails you'll still have a mid to high 160 score.

User avatar
Yeags
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Re: Cancel or Keep?

Postby Yeags » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:21 am

Since you have a 158, and if you get 165(worst case scenario) for this test, that'd still play in your favor if the school avgs scores. Unless you get 180 in Oct, which will avg to 169 with your 158. If the school only takes the top score, and you plan to retake in Oct, that won't affect you at all. So I guess I'm voting for keeping the score?

OR just aim super high bro! haha you've got 4 more months to improve on that -10.

in any case, I'll see you in the Oct thread haha.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Cancel or Keep?

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:48 am

Yeags, cupcake, coldshoulder, canadianwold, newyorkterp, and thecynic:

Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate your time to read this thread. I've decided to keep it. Excited to rock this test for the last time in October :)

The only thing I have to figure out is HOW to study, haha (have done 99% of PTs). But that's a topic for the october thread.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pozzo, SweetTort and 8 guests