I hate LSAC... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
incompetentia

Gold

Re: I hate LSAC...

Post by incompetentia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Can'texplainthat wrote: Why are no aluminum cans permitted?
terrorisms

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:09 pm

incompetentia wrote:
Can'texplainthat wrote: Why are no aluminum cans permitted?
terrorisms
I was thinking more along the lines of the 'stash cans' you can get at head shops, but we can blame it on the terrorists too.

fatdouche

New

Post by fatdouche » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:16 pm

We all hate LSAC

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Glad I didn't select USF. My community college didn't have any areas with desks like those so I picked Valencia in Orlando early on. Not sure if it will be better but I figured the chance of having to test in an auditorium would be greater at a University than a CC.

Anyone have any info about Valencia?

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:55 pm

fatdouche wrote:We all hate LSAC

How is this LSAC's fault? They give your school the authority to choose their classrooms with whichever kind of desk. It's your school's fault!!!

Also, you should have asked your Pre-Law advisor at your school where the test was administered previous years. It's usually in the same classroom every year. Also, ideally, you could have gone to that classroom on Saturdays and taken PTs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:08 pm

Aluminum cans are prolly banned for the same reason as mechanical pencils, possible cause of distraction.

OP, if I were you, I would call LSAC and ask that bringing a board thing this instant, instead of discussing about it on the internet.

(One good part of being an international student: Last December, I took LSAT alone and on a huge dinner table)

YaSvoboden

Bronze

Post by YaSvoboden » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:Aluminum cans are prolly banned for the same reason as mechanical pencils, possible cause of distraction.
Yet they allow you to grind away at wood pencils while others are testing.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:36 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:Aluminum cans are prolly banned for the same reason as mechanical pencils, possible cause of distraction.
Yet they allow you to grind away at wood pencils while others are testing.
That's just sloppy proctoring, you are supposed to bring enough pencils to get you to break and use your sharpener during the break. However, the almighty LSAC that considers the clicking of mechanical pencils shows so little care for the sources of distraction that come bundled with the testing center. During my October exam, there was a clock on the wall that went "TOCK!!!" every freaking minute. Like really loud.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:04 pm

I like LSAC.

From my experience the organization operates extremely professionally and competently to make the law school admission process as smooth and fair as possible for everybody involved and busts their a$ses to do so. Over the years I've been interacting with them I've never had a problem and they've always been fast with responses.

The evolving test day security measures/restrictions are because the 'how can I cheat on tests to get ahead with an unfair advantage?' attitude has become an epidemic among students.

See:
http://www.caveon.com
&
http://www.teachopolis.org/justice/chea ... how_to.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:06 pm

fatdouche wrote:We all hate LSAC
I actually love LSAC. Here are three random reasons why:
1) They made it really easy for me to apply to a bunch of different schools.
2) Once I appealed their initial decision, they realized I was broke and gave me a fee waiver.
3) Every time I say LSAC to someone not involved in the law school thing they look at me like I just referenced scrotum.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Jeffort wrote:I like LSAC.

From my experience the organization operates extremely professionally and competently to make the law school admission process as smooth and fair as possible for everybody involved and busts their a$ses to do so. Over the years I've been interacting with them I've never had a problem and they've always been fast with responses.

The evolving test day security measures/restrictions are because the 'how can I cheat on tests to get ahead with an unfair advantage?' attitude has become an epidemic among students.

See:
&

Your second link is awesome.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:37 pm

jump_man wrote:Yeah, that's really too bad . . . I don't know what techniques you've been using for your practice tests but you might save time bubbling in answers if you circle the answers in your book and then bubble your answers after every page (or every two page spread) - this will save time transferring between your test book and answer sheet.

Maybe you can get the proctor to project a clock onto the fancy screen in the front of the class?
Maybe this is unwarranted, but does this in some way imply that testing centers aren't required to have a clock in the room? I wasn't planning on buying a watch just for the test..

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:51 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

See:
&

I really hope you mean that for reasons that support my main point: Cheaters suck. Stop it people and earn your scores on merit!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:52 pm

See:
&

Holy cow. I just lost a little more faith in humanity. Cheaters suck.

jump_man

Bronze

Post by jump_man » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
jump_man wrote:Yeah, that's really too bad . . . I don't know what techniques you've been using for your practice tests but you might save time bubbling in answers if you circle the answers in your book and then bubble your answers after every page (or every two page spread) - this will save time transferring between your test book and answer sheet.

Maybe you can get the proctor to project a clock onto the fancy screen in the front of the class?
Maybe this is unwarranted, but does this in some way imply that testing centers aren't required to have a clock in the room? I wasn't planning on buying a watch just for the test..
Yeah, I don't think proctors are required to have a clock in the room, which totally blows. I do know that they're supposed to announce when five minutes are remaining, but I've heard stories of proctors that forgot to do that . . . I was honestly so focused when I took the LSAT that I didn't hear them call the remaining time.

Just to be safe, you should get an analogue wristwatch - you can get a cheepo model at walmart or target, and it's well worth the investment.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Jeffort wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

See:
&

I really hope you mean that for reasons that support my main point: Cheaters suck. Stop it people and earn your scores on merit!
Amazing:
One anecdote tells of a female student who wrote her crib notes on the edge of the desk where her breasts would obscure them as she hunched over her exam.

and
If you use the crib sheet tape it to the inside of the part of your skirt that covers your behind. Every time you need some information just lift the front of your skirt enough so you can see the crib sheet and whatever information you need. Anyway, the nice thing is that the instructor can't really do anything, because if they accuse you of cheating by this method you can always call the instructor a "pervert." The odds of the instructor reporting a cheating incident like this are pretty slim because the administration will ask, "How did you determine that she was cheating?" What would they say? Whatever they say, though it is true, will make them look like some lowlife child molester, and who wants that?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:45 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

See:
&

Amazing:
One anecdote tells of a female student who wrote her crib notes on the edge of the desk where her breasts would obscure them as she hunched over her exam.

and
If you use the crib sheet tape it to the inside of the part of your skirt that covers your behind. Every time you need some information just lift the front of your skirt enough so you can see the crib sheet and whatever information you need. Anyway, the nice thing is that the instructor can't really do anything, because if they accuse you of cheating by this method you can always call the instructor a "pervert." The odds of the instructor reporting a cheating incident like this are pretty slim because the administration will ask, "How did you determine that she was cheating?" What would they say? Whatever they say, though it is true, will make them look like some lowlife child molester, and who wants that?

Good, we are on the same side of the page! Image

There is some funny yet also scary $hit in those articles!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 pm

oh.............my................god.......................

that link is BRILLIANT LOL! I can't believe some people go through such extensive efforts to cheat..

the only "cheating" i have ever done, according to that list, is "grade grub." some professors are forced to assign 10 A's 30 b's 10 c's etc. Sometimes I don't even think they actually even read what you write on your essays. But yeah, you go in and say you think your work is better. They see that you care/they dont care enough to dispute the subject matter so they "reassess" your answer choices then magically your B essay turns into an A- essay. I don't think that qualifies as cheating though so i dont know why its on that list.

now on a different note, back to the LSAC. they are nazis man. there's a difference between being helpful and being cautious and then straight paranoia. my proctor in december made me sit in a left handed desk just because his seating chart that he came up with placed my--"B" last name-- at the very beggining of the chart and coincidentally the firsts 4 desks in the first column were left handed desks. When he told me to sit there I was like ughh im not left handed though? and he was just like I DONT CARE HEIL LSAC! HEIL RULES. fuck em man.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I realize this thread got hijacked, but back to the OP.

I quite liked the room. Yeah, the desks (if you can call them that) were small, but the proctors let people use a second desk for their extra pencils, ID, et cetera. They seemed fairly efficient, it was very quiet, and nothing unexpected happened. Also, I LOLed when the proctor on the far side forgot to collect some of the test booklets and then ran out of writing prompts. I guess it wasn't her day.

gggrra

New

Post by gggrra » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:22 pm

you can't spell ballsack without lsac...

but seriously I have nothing against them, and it seems nice to have a centralized place for all your apps.

Neidermeyer519

Bronze

Post by Neidermeyer519 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:32 pm

It kills me how some test takers get absolutely shafted as far as testing centers go. Today at the University of Evansville we had like 20 people in an auditorium with each row being one continous desk, so you had way more room than you need, then some places where you cant even fit your test booklet and answer sheet on the desk. For all of you that had to experience that, or obnoxious noises, I am sorry

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:08 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I realize this thread got hijacked, but back to the OP.

I quite liked the room. Yeah, the desks (if you can call them that) were small, but the proctors let people use a second desk for their extra pencils, ID, et cetera. They seemed fairly efficient, it was very quiet, and nothing unexpected happened. Also, I LOLed when the proctor on the far side forgot to collect some of the test booklets and then ran out of writing prompts. I guess it wasn't her day.
The old lady that forgot to get the booklets was my proctor. I hope to God she didn't lose my sheet. The test went smoothly, but my writing sample sheet must have fallen out of my test booklet 9 times. The desk was so small!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:18 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:The old lady that forgot to get the booklets was my proctor. I hope to God she didn't lose my sheet. The test went smoothly, but my writing sample sheet must have fallen out of my test booklet 9 times. The desk was so small!
You'll be fine. The boss lady at the front of the room seemed like she knew what was going on - she wouldn't let anything go wrong, I'm sure.

The writing sample sheet was definitely a problem. I kept my answer sheet behind the question book and accidentally pulled out my writing sample instead of the answer sheet at least a couple of times.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:37 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:The old lady that forgot to get the booklets was my proctor. I hope to God she didn't lose my sheet. The test went smoothly, but my writing sample sheet must have fallen out of my test booklet 9 times. The desk was so small!
You'll be fine. The boss lady at the front of the room seemed like she knew what was going on - she wouldn't let anything go wrong, I'm sure.

The writing sample sheet was definitely a problem. I kept my answer sheet behind the question book and accidentally pulled out my writing sample instead of the answer sheet at least a couple of times.
I did the same... I was a bit fearful that one of the proctors (not that any of them had eyesight good enough to see what was going on) was going to flag me for having the writing sampe sheet out. Such a joke. Although, I brought it on myself. I originally was registered in Lakeland (which sucked, as I live in the New Tampa area), and when I saw that USF opened up, I paid the $35 to switch sites. My friend didn't switch, and he had an entire since lab table to himself.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:00 pm

My proctor COULD NOT get over the fact that the person assigned to #18 was absent. She was confused about the 17 to 19 jump every. single. time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”