Cancel or try my luck?

Posts: 18
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Cancel or try my luck?

Postby GMX2000 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:20 pm

I signed up really really early for the LSAT but sadly didn't start studying for it until three weeks before. I know, I know, shame shame, but in my defense I had a lot of work to do to this past semester to keep my GPA high. I guess I also grossly underestimated the difficulty of the test.

Anyway, I started studying just after the semester let out and I'm scheduled for the June 6 test. So far in my most recent practice test (third one I've taken) I got 159, after getting 156 on both the others. Definitely not ideal. I want at least 160, 165 if possible. I'm really really good at the arguments (usually only miss around 3-4 items per section) but only decent on the logic games and that's on the medium difficulty ones. When you get into stuff like having 4 men and 2 women that must be arranged on three teams which received 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place, and not necessarily in that order, it starts feeling like I can't think, especially knowing I'm being timed.

The postponement deadline is obviously already passed (it passed right when the semester let out, before I had a chance to see how much more difficult the test was than I was expecting). The school I want to go to accepts the highest of two scores but...even though that's their policy I know a low first score would darken the shine of a second result however higher it may be. And in addition, I'd like (need) some financial aid. My GPA is 3.99 so I think I could get some if I could just get this darn LSAT score up.

If I canceled and waited until September, I just might be able to bump up my score to where I want it with some more studying. But...then it would be a black mark on my record. I could try explaining it in my application but what could I say? "I procrastinated and had to reschedule"?

Can someone give me some advice?

Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Cancel or try my luck?

Postby JD2014 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:41 pm

Normally I say go for it and ride out the "best of 2 scores" deal, but with only a couple weeks of studying and a 159, it's a waste of time. Just cancel (it won't matter on your app) take it in October, and study all summer for it.

Also, a 3.99 is pretty badass. Break 170 and get a scholarship somewhere good.

Click on this link for links to suggested study schedules: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=156613

User avatar
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Cancel or try my luck?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue May 31, 2011 8:54 pm

It will be much harder to explain away a significant jump in score (say, mid-150s to upper 160s) than a cancel, IMO. Three weeks is NOT ENOUGH to improve 10-ish points to anywhere near where you want to be. Postpone till October and shoot for over a 170. Your GPA + a 170+ will open a lot of doors for you. Your GPA + 160-something will still cut you out of some of the top schools. Don't underestimate the significance of a 16X vs. a 17X. You'd be surprised.

Don't waste your GPA. Study hard this summer and shoot for the highest possible score you can get. I recommend going through the LG Bible, LR Bible, and Manhattan RC Guide. You should be going -0 on LG by the time you're done--it is the most learnable and very easy to pick up once you know the basics. It just takes time and practice. Check out the LSAT Blog for its weekly/monthly schedules:

User avatar
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Cancel or try my luck?

Postby handlesthetruth » Tue May 31, 2011 8:56 pm

It doesn't even have to show up as a cancel if he withdraws before Saturday night If I understand the new lsac policy correctly

User avatar
Posts: 2697
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Cancel or try my luck?

Postby haus » Tue May 31, 2011 8:58 pm

Congrats on the 3.99.

I do not think that canceling and rescheduling for the next sitting would pose a problem, as long as nothing comes up to prevent you from sitting for the test the next time around.

Good Luck,

User avatar
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: Cancel or try my luck?

Postby fatdouche » Tue May 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Honestly, don't waste the test. Start studying and use this test later on when you can best utilize it.

Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cancel or try my luck?

Postby Underdog180 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:20 pm

Funny thing is, I'm almost in the same position as you. My decision which I know many will probably disagree is taking it in June since I already paid for it and ride my luck and if I'm feeling good about it i'll wait for the score, if I feel bad about it ill just cancel afterwards. Overall, it'll be a learning experience even if I have to retake in October anyway. Also, I feel that I'm in a different circumstance. I can barley ever juggle school with LSAT studying (seriously bad at it). So that whole 3-4 weeks after my spring semester ended that I was completely free from work and school I was able to do probably the best studying ever compared to doing lingering half-effort studying juggling school at the same time which I would run into if I set my goals on the Oct tests since school begins in late Aug. Bottom line, I'm just riding the momentum I have now which I think I won't have for the Oct. test.

Posts: 18
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Cancel or try my luck?

Postby GMX2000 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:25 am

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely leaning toward postponing. In fact, I'm leaning very far toward postponing. Also, handlesthetruth, I just checked and you're right, you can "withdraw" up to the day before the test without getting any marks on your record--so thanks for pointing that out to remove another impedance to my moving the test back. And $130 is nothing in light of the possibility of extra aid for a much better score.

I will most likely withdraw, and register for October. A clean 4 months of additional prep would be perfect. I'd be able to get a proper LSAT prep materials, and buy and take even more prep tests. I hope this pans out...I really really want my post-law-school debt mountain to be as small and un-frightening as possible. =p

Thanks again!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThatOneAfrican, Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests