Powerscore Bibles vs LSAT Super Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
polevaulter

New

Powerscore Bibles vs LSAT Super Prep

Post by polevaulter » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Which one is better for prep with 7 weeks left? I need to score 160+

I am personally finding the PS Bibles to be very, very boring and extremely dry. I sometimes fall asleep reading them--this is no joke either--I wake up and the book is in my face.

Thanks in advance!

ldo5014

New

Re: Powerscore Bibles vs LSAT Super Prep

Post by ldo5014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 pm

It depends on where you need help. Personally, I would go with Super Prep regardless. You don't get much better than prep materials put out by the institution that writes the test!

tittsburghfeelers

Bronze

Post by tittsburghfeelers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:20 pm

By LSAT Superprep, are you referring to the SuperPrep book with the three February LSATs? If so, use the search function and read some previous posts about that book. The general consensus is that the LGs in the book are among the hardest ever assembled. Regardless, with seven weeks left, I don't know why you can't use both to prepare. The SuperPrep is only 3 LSAT's so you could knock those out easily in a week. If you're falling asleep when reading the bibles, I wouldn't even waste your time with them because you're obviously not retaining any information. If you're struggling to hit 160 on preptests, perhaps you should wait until October to take the test so that you have enough time to adequately prepare.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:37 pm

The Superprep book is excellent for LR help since it contains full detailed explanations for every LR question in each of the 3 included tests. The explanations are excellent and give you the test makers perspective on the logic of the questions.

As for falling asleep, you just have to force yourself to be interested since LSAT prep books aren't meant to be a riveting read like a good work of fiction.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:24 am

For my money*, there's no better prep book than the Super Prep. I don't think I'm allowed to comment on the Powerscore Bibles, but I will say that the more (well written) materials you have to study, the better off you'll be.

*But, working for BP, I got a copy for free. So take that with a grain of salt :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 am

Both. Yes, the bibles can be quite boring, but there is a lot of.help contained in them. Instead of just reading straight through, read a section (say, assumption questions for LR) and then do some practice problems. Make it a more active study session.
Superprep is great for the difficult lg and the explanations.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:28 pm

polevaulter wrote:. I sometimes fall asleep reading them--this is no joke either--I wake up and the book is in my face.

Thanks in advance!

Buy yourself an espresso machine would be my advice.

polevaulter

New

Post by polevaulter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. I just have to prep very well and I have 7 weeks to get a 160+

October IS NOT an option at all...this is due to personal reason that I cannot go into.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:37 pm

powerscore logic games was the most helpful thing on the planet to me... the other PSs still helped but not as much. I think you should take a look at them all and mix and match so they work with the way you think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:32 pm

polevaulter wrote:Thank you everyone for your replies. I just have to prep very well and I have 7 weeks to get a 160+

October IS NOT an option at all...this is due to personal reason that I cannot go into.
I don't mean to tell you your business, but what personal reasons outweighs something that will for all intensive purposes determine your future?

polevaulter

New

Post by polevaulter » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:44 pm

I can't really elaborate on that here...obviously were are online and this thread is kept forever.

I can tell you this...
I just can't go past June and I have to move on this ASAP...I'm also an older, non-trad student and I cannot waste time just sitting around and taking all the time in the world on the LSAT.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:01 pm

polevaulter wrote:I can't really elaborate on that here...obviously were are online and this thread is kept forever.

I can tell you this...
I just can't go past June and I have to move on this ASAP...I'm also an older, non-trad student and I cannot waste time just sitting around and taking all the time in the world on the LSAT.
No offense, but it doesn't sound like you've really researched and thought through the idea of going to law school and starting a legal career. There is a lot involved and it is a major life commitment as well as an ongoing life changing process.

If you consider spending a lot of time preparing for the LSAT a waste of time and view it as 'do it in June or don't do it at all, these 7 weeks are all I'm willing to put in', then you probably are not really that serious about becoming a lawyer.

6-7 weeks may not be enough time to fully prepare for the LSAT unless you are just shooting for a mediocre score good enough to get into a bottom tier crappy law school.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Jeffort wrote:
polevaulter wrote:I can't really elaborate on that here...obviously were are online and this thread is kept forever.

I can tell you this...
No offense, but it doesn't sound like you've really researched and thought through the idea of going to law school and starting a legal career. There is a lot involved and it is a major life commitment as well as an ongoing life changing process.

If you consider spending a lot of time preparing for the LSAT a waste of time and view it as 'do it in June or don't do it at all, these 7 weeks are all I'm willing to put in', then you probably are not really that serious about becoming a lawyer.

6-7 weeks may not be enough time to fully prepare for the LSAT unless you are just shooting for a mediocre score good enough to get into a bottom tier crappy law school.
No offense Jeffort, but it totally sounds like you jumped to a conclusion with out any data. You have no idea why this person can't take it in October. Ie. they might get deployed in July and spend a year getting shot at. You don't know. To call someone not serious based off no information is deplorable of you.

@ polevaulter: ignore the 22 year olds here. They jump to conclusions based off their own experience that is not very convergent with the reality non-trads deal with. As an older non-trad myself I totally understand.

And use both, IMO. Just don't take your results on the LG sections of the PTs in super prep as indicative of your ability. LG bible is great. Use it if you have any issues with LG.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:19 pm

firemed wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

I can tell you this...

No offense Jeffort, but it totally sounds like you jumped to a conclusion with out any data. You have no idea why this person can't take it in October. Ie. they might get deployed in July and spend a year getting shot at. You don't know. To call someone not serious based off no information is deplorable of you.

@ polevaulter: ignore the 22 year olds here. They jump to conclusions based off their own experience that is not very convergent with the reality non-trads deal with. As an older non-trad myself I totally understand.

And use both, IMO. Just don't take your results on the LG sections of the PTs in super prep as indicative of your ability. LG bible is great. Use it if you have any issues with LG.
Well, actually no. I didn't jump to a conclusion without any data, nor did I make an extreme conclusion or judgment (like you did -'deplorable', 22 year olds).

Based on what the OP said in response to questions, he is inflexible, considers spending large amounts of time prepping for the LSAT to be a waste of time, for some unknown reason must move on just now starting to prep, must take it ASAP, and refused to give any information about why that is his current situation (which would be helpful to know so that others could perhaps point out options he may not have considered). That's evidence in my book.

Rushing into taking the LSAT without being fully prepared to do your best is a very bad idea if one is serious about gaining admission to a quality law school, taking on the commitment, expenses/debt and devoting 3 years of ones life to school to hopefully be able to start a lucrative legal career upon graduation.

I think it is fair to say that being inflexible about what you are willing to invest/do to achieve your best potential score on the single most influential factor in the quality of LS you will get into (which directly influences career/job prospects) and viewing spending a lot of time prepping to be a waste of time to be either an indication of lack of seriousness/commitment to a legal career or the perspective of someone that hasn't yet done much research into what it takes to succeed in the ultra-competitive law school game, especially for an older non-trad.

I call em like I see them, and based on the info provided, I think what I said was fair. If the guy is being deployed, there are options available to take the test while or after deployed. I doubt that's his situation since he refused to post even a vague idea of his personal reasons for October not being an option due to concern that this thread will live forever. That type of thinking makes it sound like it is something he/she wants to hide.

I'm not 22 years old dude. Next time you want to chastise somebody for jumping to conclusions, don't be the one doing it when you make the accusation.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Jeffort wrote:
firemed wrote:[

Well, actually no. I didn't jump to a conclusion without any data, nor did I make an extreme conclusion or judgment (like you did -'deplorable', 22 year olds).

Based on what the OP said in response to questions, he is inflexible, considers spending large amounts of time prepping for the LSAT to be a waste of time, for some unknown reason must move on just now starting to prep, must take it ASAP, and refused to give any information about why that is his current situation (which would be helpful to know so that others could perhaps point out options he may not have considered). That's evidence in my book.

Rushing into taking the LSAT without being fully prepared to do your best is a very bad idea if one is serious about gaining admission to a quality law school, taking on the commitment, expenses/debt and devoting 3 years of ones life to school to hopefully be able to start a lucrative legal career upon graduation.

I think it is fair to say that being inflexible about what you are willing to invest/do to achieve your best potential score on the single most influential factor in the quality of LS you will get into (which directly influences career/job prospects) and viewing spending a lot of time prepping to be a waste of time to be either an indication of lack of seriousness/commitment to a legal career or the perspective of someone that hasn't yet done much research into what it takes to succeed in the ultra-competitive law school game, especially for an older non-trad.

I call em like I see them, and based on the info provided, I think what I said was fair. If the guy is being deployed, there are options available to take the test while or after deployed. I doubt that's his situation since he refused to post even a vague idea of his personal reasons for October not being an option due to concern that this thread will live forever. That type of thinking makes it sound like it is something he/she wants to hide.

I'm not 22 years old dude. Next time you want to chastise somebody for jumping to conclusions, don't be the one doing it when you make the accusation.
You will notice that I never actually claimed you were 22. That is why I separated my messages- one to you, the other to the OP. But I can see how I wasn't very clear. I apologize.

Anyway, the majority of the posters ITT and on TLS, however, are 21-24. So I told OP to ignore them.

And I still think you are jumping to conclusions. I think that your suspicions could well be correct. That doesn't mean they are, though. While the OPs privacy concerns are suspicious, I don't think you went about it the right way. My advice would be to ask instead of accusing next time. Your post came off awfully high and mighty. Like I said, you have no idea of OPs situation. While you might be right, you might be wrong.

And I am right that the majority of posters on this board have almost no idea of what it is really like to be an older non-trad and their concerns.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:20 pm

firemed wrote: @ polevaulter: ignore the 22 year olds here. They jump to conclusions based off their own experience that is not very convergent with the reality non-trads deal with. As an older non-trad myself I totally understand.

I only asked what was so important that he couldn't push the test back. I assume being deployed wouldn't fall under the category of things too personal to share online, but I could be wrong. It just seemed that from his post, he might not have been putting an appropriate amount of stress on the importance of the LSAT. I don't think anyone jumped to any conclusions.

polevaulter wrote:Which one is better for prep with 7 weeks left? I need to score 160+

I am personally finding the PS Bibles to be very, very boring and extremely dry. I sometimes fall asleep reading them--this is no joke either--I wake up and the book is in my face.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know why this wasn't asked of the OP, what are you averaging on PTs as of now, if you've done a full timed exam that is.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm 23. I'm not reading all that nonsense (I know that's against the rules for responding, sorry). Here's what I have to say: earlier is better. If you can't do earlier then later works too. Studying doesn't always make a difference - I took a practice test, then 8 months of studying later a real test, and got the same score. I laid off for a month, retook, and got 12 points higher. It's the same cycle, the variables are: less time studying or less spots remaining open at your choice schools (there could be other variables, but even based on the two I provided it's not unreasonable to decide to forego the extra studying). And, finishing up my first year of law school this week, I want to add: it's NOT the most important thing in your life. You do the exam, then pick a school based on your situation, you do the best you can (or you get lazy), and you move on with your life. You accept the hand you deal yourself, and as long as you realize that everything you did was your choice you should be pretty happy or at least complacent with where you end up. There's nothing wrong putting premiums on something other than law school. It's ok if law school is only the 2nd most important thing in your life. Just try to position yourself in a way that will get you a job and not leave you drowning in debt. The end.

Also about PS being boring for you: if you have 7 weeks the easiest thing for most people to improve on is logic games because you can learn a system. Pick whichever system, deal with the boredom, then do a ton of practices to get you on top of that section. If you can't handle 7 weeks of boredom then law school isn't right for you. Be a vigilante law enforcer instead, or a pirate. That being said... if you find a book that DOES interest you then by all means you should use that one... just don't make it your end all, if another series teaches a system that works better with your brain you need to use that system, even if it bores you to tears.

accuratesite2020

New

Post by accuratesite2020 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:11 pm

From my perspective, if June is the date then the June is the date. Yes PS and Superprep can be extremely boring and excruciating. That's the point. On the real test, if you lose focus for a split second and the engagement is not there, careless errors will happen. I really believe that this whole process of studying is really the test. If you can absorb the information and become the best you can at every question type or game, then you deserve the golden ticket. That said, we should not attack someone for having their reasons. This forum is great therapy and a release because it keeps all the hard work in check. I agree that if you can't get past the "this is boring" then you're going to have major meltdown after Section 2. This test is a beast and for most of us non-traditional folk, we gotta adapt ourselves to do well. That is the hard part.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”