First pt. June 2007. The free one. Question

rotar

First pt. June 2007. The free one. Question

Postby rotar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:07 pm

I plan to study this summer for oct LSAT. Out of curiosity I took the free pt on lsac website. I gave myself a little extra time on lg. I have done no studying yet and have no materials. I scored in high 160's. I was quite happy. Don't know how much luck it was. Concentrating on grades right now not LSAT. The one question I missed I can't figure out why. Was hoping someone could explain. I don't know all these terms people are always using like the type of games and logic stuff so if you could explain in simple terms for now till I start studying please if possible.

It's questions 22 LR section 3 the second LR section about coffee shop. I choose b the answer is c. B makes logical sense to me and so does c but why c and not b?

Sorry for the crappy writing I am on my phone.

Thanks

gaud

Re: First pt. June 2007. The free one. Question

Postby gaud » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:36 pm

rotar wrote:I plan to study this summer for oct LSAT. Out of curiosity I took the free pt on lsac website. I gave myself a little extra time on lg. I have done no studying yet and have no materials. I scored in high 160's. I was quite happy. Don't know how much luck it was. Concentrating on grades right now not LSAT. The one question I missed I can't figure out why. Was hoping someone could explain. I don't know all these terms people are always using like the type of games and logic stuff so if you could explain in simple terms for now till I start studying please if possible.

It's questions 22 LR section 3 the second LR section about coffee shop. I choose b the answer is c. B makes logical sense to me and so does c but why c and not b?

Thanks

The reason answer choice 'b' is so attractive to you is because it simply restates one of the premises used in the stimulus. Answer 'c' is the correct choice because it is focused on the conclusion of the argument (which is the first sentence). When the question stem asks "Which of the following statements follows logically from the statements above" it is pretty much asking you to find a hidden assumption from within the stimulus which is that "the overall profitability will decrease if the price continues to increase"

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 pm

C is not a hidden assumption; it is a valid inference that can be drawn based upon the information in the stimulus. Moreover, B is not a restatement of any of the premises used in the stimulus. In "must be true" or inference questions such as this one, an answer choice which restates or paraphrases information in the stimulus is correct.

You do not know anything that will happen if the coffee shop's overall profitability decreases. The profitability of the coffee shop could decrease for the reasons specified in B, or they could decrease due to something else. You know only that if the coffee shop continues to pay more for coffee beans, either (1) it will begin selling noncoffee products or (2) its coffee sales will decrease. Whether it is (1) or (2), the coffee shop's overall profitability will decrease.
Last edited by Kurst on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:51 pm

rotar wrote:I plan to study this summer for oct LSAT. Out of curiosity I took the free pt on lsac website. I gave myself a little extra time on lg. I have done no studying yet and have no materials. I scored in high 160's. I was quite happy. Don't know how much luck it was. Concentrating on grades right now not LSAT. The one question I missed I can't figure out why. Was hoping someone could explain. I don't know all these terms people are always using like the type of games and logic stuff so if you could explain in simple terms for now till I start studying please if possible.

Thanks

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/jun ... 8b85e5224e

Cambridge LSAT

Postby Cambridge LSAT » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:52 pm

This problem contains a number of conditional logic statements. Diagramming can help to visualize how the conditions interact.
CTI: price of coffee beans continues to increase
IP: increase prices
NC: sell noncoffee products
CSD: coffee sales decrease
DP: decrease in overall profitibility

Here are the conditional relationships, in the order presented:
CTI → IP
IP → NC or CSD
NC → DP
~DP → ~CSD

Notice that the contrapositive of the fourth relationship is CSD → DP. We can link all the conditionals into the following diagram:

From this, we know that if either CTI or IP is triggered, DP is guaranteed. Choice C correctly states one of these inferences. As Kurst mentioned, we cannot infer anything from DP being triggered since it's at the end of the chain.

rotar

Postby rotar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks for the help. I see why c is right and b is not. I have a lot to learn.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”