155 LSAT

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:50 pm

Took the October LSAT, got a 155. Not really bummed or depressed about it, it was what I deserved for the time and effort I put into studying. It was certainly not my goal, but this was back when I considered SLU my top choice. I was under the (false) impression that a JD was almost comparable to an MD in terms of demand and mobility. However, I got onto this site a few months later and I became very nervous about the entire situation. I have already gotten into and received a 4k/year scholarship from SIU, which I really do appreciate. However, I am far from satisfied with my score. I was going to attend SIU with little reservations, after all, it may not open a lot of doors nationwide, but in my hometown (Springfield, IL), SIU Law grads are fairly common, and a degree from there would not diminish any job prospects. But after reading about all of the prep people have put into their LSAT studies, I decided to retake in June. I have been reading LG bible and it has helped tremendously. I have usually done ok at RC, usually -5, but I was having total trouble with LG. However, the bible makes this portion seem completely learnable. I haven't taken one of my Next Top Ten prep tests yet, but I already feel so much more comfortable with LG, and I cannot wait to start LR. I want to be so ready for the June LSAT, I'm shooting for a 170, but wouldn't be disappointed if I fell a little short. Sometimes people have to fail to succeed, and I am coming back so motivated for this next one. However, my dad, like many parents, is not really well informed on the law school scene, and sees no difference between SIU or Notre Dame, "you learn the law at both places, that is what is important." So I compromised and paid for my seat deposit at SIU just as insurance in case I don't slam the June LSAT. He was still angry about me wanting to take a year to reapply, but I addressed all of his questions and concerns, and I feel like I calmed him down somewhat. Hopefully a couple months from now I'll have some good news to report. BTW, shooting for a good scholly at Wash U, U of I, Notre Dame (As bad as it sounds, I'll sacrifice a good money to go to ND just because my dad would be proud as hell)

User avatar
EarlCat
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby EarlCat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:52 am

Knock 'em dead!

Firework11
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby Firework11 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:18 pm

"Sometimes people have to fail to succeed, and I am coming back so motivated for this next one."

Love message. I feel the same way. Best of luck!

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:18 pm

thanks for the encouragement!

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Just took prep test 10, got a 160. I'm really psyched to see my LG improve. I have probably given LG 85% of my efforts this past month, and it has really paid off. When I first sat down to start studying about a month ago, I missed 13 in this section, this time around I knocked it down to 5. I ran out of time and missed the last three, but it was a hard game anyway, so I need to work on condensing my work into a 35 minute period. My RC has been consistent pretty much this whole time, although I have probably done like one RC problem since my last full test. But I missed 5 in RC which has been typical. But LR, which I have not studied for nearly as religiously as LG, was a poor showing. I missed 8 in one section, and then 9 in the other. I have the Bible, but I have been so focused on LG lately that I need to go back and look over the LR. I'm so excited my lg has been improving though, I never thought I would be able to figure it out. But my missed questions in LR were always clustered. In one section I missed 1 over 14 questions, while over the next 10 i missed 8. Is this just mental fatigue? Or do the testmakers cluster harder questions together? Nearly 8 weeks, glad TLS is keeping me on task

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby bearsfan1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 pm

mattviphky wrote:Took the October LSAT, got a 155. Not really bummed or depressed about it, it was what I deserved for the time and effort I put into studying. It was certainly not my goal, but this was back when I considered SLU my top choice. I was under the (false) impression that a JD was almost comparable to an MD in terms of demand and mobility. However, I got onto this site a few months later and I became very nervous about the entire situation. I have already gotten into and received a 4k/year scholarship from SIU, which I really do appreciate. However, I am far from satisfied with my score. I was going to attend SIU with little reservations, after all, it may not open a lot of doors nationwide, but in my hometown (Springfield, IL), SIU Law grads are fairly common, and a degree from there would not diminish any job prospects. But after reading about all of the prep people have put into their LSAT studies, I decided to retake in June. I have been reading LG bible and it has helped tremendously. I have usually done ok at RC, usually -5, but I was having total trouble with LG. However, the bible makes this portion seem completely learnable. I haven't taken one of my Next Top Ten prep tests yet, but I already feel so much more comfortable with LG, and I cannot wait to start LR. I want to be so ready for the June LSAT, I'm shooting for a 170, but wouldn't be disappointed if I fell a little short. Sometimes people have to fail to succeed, and I am coming back so motivated for this next one. However, my dad, like many parents, is not really well informed on the law school scene, and sees no difference between SIU or Notre Dame, "you learn the law at both places, that is what is important." So I compromised and paid for my seat deposit at SIU just as insurance in case I don't slam the June LSAT. He was still angry about me wanting to take a year to reapply, but I addressed all of his questions and concerns, and I feel like I calmed him down somewhat. Hopefully a couple months from now I'll have some good news to report. BTW, shooting for a good scholly at Wash U, U of I, Notre Dame (As bad as it sounds, I'll sacrifice a good money to go to ND just because my dad would be proud as hell)


Fellow Central Illinoisian here. I'm not very familiar with Springfield, but are there alot of attorney's with a JD from SIU in Springfield? I couldn't imagine 3 years in Carbondale trying to study law lol.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:07 am

i don't have any empirical evidence to show you, just something i've observed. My stepdad is an attorney here, and he is pretty adamant about me going to SIU because of the cost, and because it doesn't diminish any opportunities in Springfield (he can't seem to understand that I do not want to practice in Springfield, although I'm not averse to it). But a number of his partners and law friends have all said that which law school you go to isn't all that important, and that SIU would be a good choice for cost and location considerations. In a town of 120,000 with no law school within 100 miles, it probably means a great deal less where you went to school than say living in Chicago. I know anyone can cite an example of a former alum of any school doing well, but I do know one SIU law grad fairly well, and he is doing very well for himself. But bear in mind that not many HYS grads are dying to practice in Springfield, as the bulk of the work seems to be criminal and state government. Despite what people say, I'm willing to bet that a Harvard grad would look a little bit more competitive than a SIU grad when they submit their resumes to a Springfield firm. But I wouldn't say its a lock, just depends on who knows who, and a partner at a firm in Springfield would far more likely be an SIU grad, who seem to be a friendly bunch. Again, not an expert opinion, but just something I've observed in the 15 years I've been somewhat familiar with the Springfield law scene.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:57 am

Sorry, maybe I've missed something, but it seems like your dad's opinion has a lot of weight in your law school process. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought by the time you're the age to be in the process of applying to law school, the effect of your parents' disagreeance with something that you feel strongly about would be pretty negligable. I definitely understand and agree with listening to their opinions and taking them to heart, and also wanting to make them happy, but you're an adult and you should do what you really feel is right for you.

Disclaimer- it also seems like you mention his views on cost a lot, so maybe it's that your rents are paying your way in law school in which case 1. Dayum! 2. I guess they do still have the controlling interest in your life, so disregard the feel-good, do what's right just for you mantra above ;)

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:59 am

I wish that was the case, but no, I'm footing the bill (at a 6.8% interest rate) lol. But they just want to give me advice and are just trying to look out for what they think are my best interests. I'm not saying they're insistent on these things, its just something that comes up in conversation...for the most part. There was one episode when I told my dad I wanted to forgo a scholarship so I can retake in June, he just didn't understand my motives.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 am

Good luck! Attitude is everything stay positive, visualize and own you dreams! Make it your future!!!

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:30 pm

mattviphky wrote:I wish that was the case, but no, I'm footing the bill (at a 6.8% interest rate) lol. But they just want to give me advice and are just trying to look out for what they think are my best interests. I'm not saying they're insistent on these things, its just something that comes up in conversation...for the most part. There was one episode when I told my dad I wanted to forgo a scholarship so I can retake in June, he just didn't understand my motives.


Haha ok, in that case, I think that you need to aim as high as possible, because like you say, better scores or being an alum of a better school will never hurt. At the very least, you could get a good scholly to your local law school or even better. Just remember that you've done the research and know what's right for you, and that if the 'ents don't understand they just have to trust your judgment.

ps- Many attorneys are very out of touch with how the system works today. My dad has some lawyer friends and they are busted out in laughter and basically told me to get a life when they heard how much I was studying for the LSAT. I wanted to leave them with a scathing comment along the lines of "Ah, yea if I wanted to go to the law school from which you graduated I would have been in with a scholly with my diagnostic." But I realized that they just don't get that this test can determine your future salary and debt. And that really matters to me. Do your best and you won't regret it.

tittsburghfeelers
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:13 am

mattviphky wrote:i don't have any empirical evidence to show you, just something i've observed. My stepdad is an attorney here, and he is pretty adamant about me going to SIU because of the cost, and because it doesn't diminish any opportunities in Springfield (he can't seem to understand that I do not want to practice in Springfield, although I'm not averse to it). But a number of his partners and law friends have all said that which law school you go to isn't all that important, and that SIU would be a good choice for cost and location considerations. In a town of 120,000 with no law school within 100 miles, it probably means a great deal less where you went to school than say living in Chicago. I know anyone can cite an example of a former alum of any school doing well, but I do know one SIU law grad fairly well, and he is doing very well for himself. But bear in mind that not many HYS grads are dying to practice in Springfield, as the bulk of the work seems to be criminal and state government. Despite what people say, I'm willing to bet that a Harvard grad would look a little bit more competitive than a SIU grad when they submit their resumes to a Springfield firm. But I wouldn't say its a lock, just depends on who knows who, and a partner at a firm in Springfield would far more likely be an SIU grad, who seem to be a friendly bunch. Again, not an expert opinion, but just something I've observed in the 15 years I've been somewhat familiar with the Springfield law scene.


I've been lurking on this forum for awhile, but I had to jump in when I saw this. I'm also from Central Illinois, and I've noticed that there are quite a few attorneys with a law degree from SIU. I've also noticed that there are quite a few attorneys with degrees from Loyola and SLU. I think that SIU is a pretty good school if you're going to work in Springfield. I know most people would probably laugh at me, but most people don't have any idea on how Central Illinois rolls lol. Also, good luck on your LSAT. I've been studying since February for the October exam and it's definitely not fun. I just finished the logical reasoning bible and took a timed prep test and got a 163. Before the bible, I was getting around 155 because I had no idea on how to attack the logical reasoning part, so I would definitely recommend that book to you if you're struggling with the LR.

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby masochist » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:53 am

Even if SIU is the best option for you given your circumstances, it still makes sense to retake the LSAT and sit out a year. A 165 might net you a pretty significant scholarship from SLU (and maybe SIU), and delaying your law career by one year will probably cost you less than the 100K+ a really good LSAT score could bring you. Good luck.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby bp shinners » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say good luck!

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Took preptest 10 LG section and scored -2, I have been pretty consistent at around -5, so this is pretty encouraging. My actual class grades are slipping pretty fast, but my LSAT score is steadily rising. The LG bible is totally worth it. Hard to understyand at first, but when you get a grasp of it everything comes quite easily. Went from -13 diagnostic LG to -2 in just about 6 weeks. Totally learnable, although intimidating. Started LR bible over a week ago, went from -8 to -5, however, the -5 was not timed. Hoping for 170 in June. Havent really worked on RC, will probably just familiarize myself with it throughout May when I do all preptest. But I usually get -5 on that section.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:26 am

mattviphky wrote:Havent really worked on RC, will probably just familiarize myself with it throughout May when I do all preptest. But I usually get -5 on that section.


Why do people always skimp on RC? I know, it's everyone's least favorite section, but there are more questions in that section than in LG.

I personally find that LG is something you can 'brute force' learning a little bit more than RC; you can sit there and study the methods and learn the mechanics of it, refining them through practice. RC is all refinement, and it's something that takes time to 'click'. Even if you're only -5 on that section, I'd dedicate time to it now so that you put in enough work for it to reach the point of 'clicking'.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:43 am

I can't speak for all people, but I will give you my personal reasoning. Like I said earlier in this thread, I missed nearly half of my LG, and I did not do well on LR, so I have given these sections the emphasis of my efforts, and it has been paying off. Plus I hear RC is not learnable, and I have been scoring -5, so I am giving LG and LR priority

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 am

You are approaching this in an intelligent manner, in my opinion. Paying the seat deposit at SIU while awaiting your June LSAT score should clarify your options. Good luck !

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Just took pt 7 (from the original 10 Real LSATS book) LG section, scored -3. Feeling pretty good about my LG progression. When I first sat down in Feb to study for june, my diag. was -13...so I've come a ways. Just ordered pts 52-61 and superprep book to do through May. I have heard that the LG has changed over the last few years, so I'm hoping that my scores do not drop too significantly. Transitioning from mid 90's LG to mid 2000's LG might give me trouble. But I'm feeling good about that section. I went through the LG bible, and I'm now half way through the LR bible. But the LR studying is not going that well. My diag were -8/-9, and my lowest score has only been -5/-6. I just keep nodding off going through the bible and i can't retain anything useful or efficient. But I've recently adopted a new strategy. I actually love doing games now, it is kinda fun and it might be something I continue to do even after the LSAT, sort of like a cross word or sodoku puzzle. So my new strategy is do a LG section before I even start studying, because this will wake my brain up and motivate me to do the LR, rather than just start cold. I wish I had started doing this a few weeks ago, but oh well. So I'm thinking about spending just under an hour a day doing LG, then doing an hour of LR bible work, and then about an hour of LR sections...at least until around May 6, which is when I will start doing the superprep and pts. June is getting close, and I feel like a 170 is attainable...I just gotta keep motivated on the LR. Mental fatigue continues to be a problem...hopefully doing full tests for a month fixes that.

User avatar
lakers3peat
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby lakers3peat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:57 pm

not to be a downer but practicing on the oldest Logic Games, while better than nothing, is not a good idea. The earliest logic games have a lot more pattern games and sequencing games which all but dissappeared on the most recent LSATs. PT 1-30 are pretty easy games sections then 30-40 are pretty tough games sections then 40-62 are manageable but much different.

Ok in retrospect this post sounds kind of stupid but I can't put into words how much different the newer games are then the older ones. 8)

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:41 am

Yeah, I've heard a lot of this. I just bought LSATs 50-60 and superprep book to study from now until June LSAT. But before this I just had LG bible and Real10 and Next Real 10 Books. So I think those real LSATs went up to like 30ish? But hopefully doing these games and the bible give me enough of a foundation to take on these new questions. I didn't really have a method before I started studying, so at least I have a strategty for answering these questions. I just did a superprep games section, and I was -5. I don't know if the superpreps are real tests or not, but two questions did seem different.

tittsburghfeelers
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:19 pm

mattviphky wrote:Yeah, I've heard a lot of this. I just bought LSATs 50-60 and superprep book to study from now until June LSAT. But before this I just had LG bible and Real10 and Next Real 10 Books. So I think those real LSATs went up to like 30ish? But hopefully doing these games and the bible give me enough of a foundation to take on these new questions. I didn't really have a method before I started studying, so at least I have a strategty for answering these questions. I just did a superprep games section, and I was -5. I don't know if the superpreps are real tests or not, but two questions did seem different.


If it's the LSAT SuperPrep book then they're actual LSATs. I believe the three tests in that book are the only February tests ever released. Warning: I have always done exceptionally well on the LG. The LGs in the last two tests in the SuperPrep book bent me over and railed me. They were incredibly hard. So if you mess up on both of those, don't feel discouraged. There's a few threads concerning the hardness of the SuperPrep book if you use the search function.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Ok cool, I didnt know if they were real or not. Well I just took RC section of superprep A, went -3. I usually do pretty well at RC, so I haven't put a lot of time into it. Bout to start LR...I dread LR. I was deathly afraid of LG when I first started, but now I really enjoy doing them. I though that I would take to LR like I did LG, but it is a little bit harder to grasp...at least for me. I have a good RC and LG going, but I would like to drastically improve my LR to something respectable. Still gunning for 170 in June, but LR needs to be in the -3/-3 range for that to be viable based on my other sections

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Sun May 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Just took Superprep A, got a -4 on one of the LR sections! This is the first time where I felt like a lot of things just "clicked" while reading through the questions. I got a 162 overall on the superprep. -3 RC, -4/-8 LR, and -5 LG. I was really happy with the -4 and -3...they are my personal best on those sections. -5 on LG was a little disheartening, my best on that section has been -2 so far, and -5 is a little above average. I have been consistent at -8 LR for a while, so -4 was good to see. Hopefully things keep progressing this way. Granted I did not sit down and do all of these sections at once. I probably did them section by section over the last two days...doing one, reviewing and looking at the bibles, then going onto the next. So hopefully throughout this next month I can get my mental endurance up so that I can hit my bests on all sections. Starting sometime this week I'm doing 5 section tests up until the 2nd of June, then I'll take 4 days to chill until the big day. But I'm aiming for a 170, so May has to be a pretty good month study wise. Also, while I found the LGB by powerscore EXTREMELY helpful (went from -13 to -2), the LRB has been a little less helpful...although it has given me things to practice, it hasn't really provided me with any breakthroughs. I think just getting familiar with question types by taking PTs has helped me more with LR than the bible.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby tomwatts » Sun May 01, 2011 6:29 pm

bp shinners wrote:
mattviphky wrote:Havent really worked on RC, will probably just familiarize myself with it throughout May when I do all preptest. But I usually get -5 on that section.


Why do people always skimp on RC? I know, it's everyone's least favorite section, but there are more questions in that section than in LG.

I second this sentiment. I've started warning my students that if they neglect RC, they're going to see a RC drop on test day, because until I did that, I kept hearing back from about 1 or 2 students from each class that I taught with the same tragic story.

mattviphky wrote:I can't speak for all people, but I will give you my personal reasoning. Like I said earlier in this thread, I missed nearly half of my LG, and I did not do well on LR, so I have given these sections the emphasis of my efforts, and it has been paying off. Plus I hear RC is not learnable, and I have been scoring -5, so I am giving LG and LR priority

RC is learnable, but it requires a different method of studying than LG. I mean, you don't have to learn how to draw diagrams or something for the RC, but as you learn question types and see patterns in the sorts of things that you miss, you can figure out how to do better.

You might make a strategic decision to do more LG and LR than RC, but make sure that you do put some effort into RC at some point (which it looks as though you're doing — so keep it up!).




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”