Working as a LSAT course instructor/tutor?

amorfati

Working as a LSAT course instructor/tutor?

Postby amorfati » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:57 am

So I know there's a couple threads out there on this, but from what I've found they mostly seem to quote the pay rates and LSAT cut-offs at various companies (Blueprint/Kaplan/Princeton Review/Manhattan/etc). I'm actually more curious about how difficult it is to get a job doing this, and how long it takes to get started.

Here's my situation: I'm starting law school in the fall, and am currently working at a job with fairly flexible hours but very inconsistent pay. (Okay, you got it out of me, I'm working as a server.) But before school starts I have a couple things coming up that I need to save up a fair amount of money for (in particular one very important but pricey trip), and right now it's not looking like I'll be making enough for that...

Anyway, I scored a 176 on the LSAT, so I think that qualification shouldn't be too much of an issue. But after looking into Blueprint a bit, it seems that given the timing of the courses, the few months I have to work (now through the end of July) might not be sufficient. I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort, or if perhaps anyone knows of a test prep company with more flexible scheduling. And on that note, I'd be curious to hear from others who have done it how long it took after they applied to get hired, go through any training, and start working...

...thoughts?

bp colin

Re: Working as a LSAT course instructor/tutor?

Postby bp colin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:26 pm

As far as working for us at Blueprint goes, if you're only free through July, then you honestly wouldn't have much of a chance. The only classes you'd be able to teach would be for the June LSAT, which start in a matter of weeks, and the teachers have already been assigned for those.

Some companies that are currently strapped for instructors might be able to hire and train you in time for June classes, but it doesn't seem likely. Tutoring is probably a bit more of a possibility at some companies. But in general they're not going to throw a brand new tutor a ton of hours right off the bat. But I can't speak with confidence for any companies other than us as to specific policies.

Good luck!

tomwatts

Re: Working as a LSAT course instructor/tutor?

Postby tomwatts » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm inclined to agree with the above. You might try to do some independent tutoring (just put an ad for yourself on Craigslist or something), but a company probably won't hire you for such a short timeframe.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”