Would it be a waste to take two different prep courses? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sammacd25

New

Would it be a waste to take two different prep courses?

Post by sammacd25 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:57 pm

I am taking Kaplan one per week during the semester in preparation for the June 2011 LSAT. It has helped me stay focused and incorporate LSAT prep into my daily routine. When the semester is over, I will go home and continue to prepare for the LSAT. Would it be helpful or confusing to take the weekend Powerscore course in May? Are the techniques that different? As an alternative, should I consider private tutoring by Powerscore? I recognize the costs involved - but am worried enough about this exam that I am willing to spend what I need to in order to prepare.

LLB2JD

Silver

Re: Would it be a waste to take two different prep courses?

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Yes. It'll be a waste. you could take a class, but you definitely don't need two. Get the bibles and hit the books.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Yeah it's a waste. Personally, I think classes in general are a waste, and self-study is the way to go.

But FWIW, if you take Kaplan and then PS, you'll probably end up fucking yourself up. I self studied with the Bibles and took the June LSAT. Recently, I was going to teach a class for Kaplan and the methods were so different that I couldn't wrap my head around it. Just take the PS class and go from there.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:14 am

If you have the $$$, take a prep course and do private tutoring. Or just go straight tutoring 24-hour+ package. Could be a worthwhile investment. "Could" being the operating word.

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:22 am

Upton Sinclair wrote:Yeah it's a waste. Personally, I think classes in general are a waste, and self-study is the way to go.
TITCR

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Sometimes people find it useful to take a different prep course if the first one really didn't gel (and a lot of times, they do it with the same prep company, either to hear the same stuff from the same teacher a second time if it was just overwhelming the first time or to get a different perspective on the same content from a different teacher if that seems like it might be useful).

However, the particular way you're thinking of doing it sounds pointless. You mention that your follow-up would be a weekend course, and you'd be mixing Kaplan and Powerscore. There are two problems: 1) A weekend course is an introduction anyway, so you wouldn't be getting the level of advanced detail that you would want after a first course, and 2) Kaplan and Powerscore are different enough that you'll likely confuse yourself.

Just spending more money isn't going to improve your score. Studying more (which is free) will improve your score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”