SuperPrep or just Bibles?

Easy-E

SuperPrep or just Bibles?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 am

I've just about finished reading the NOVA Master the LSAT text, which I understand is a decent starting point, although certainly lacking in the LG and LR sections for sure. I have a very long time to prep, and I currently have/have ordered the LR and LG Bibles from PowerScore, all three "Actual, Official" books of PTs and PTs 46-57. I'm wondering if I should grab the LSAT SuperPrep as well, or should I get right into the in-depth, section-specific work (as well the PTs). My first PT (#29) was a 155, for what its worth.

I'm just a bit overwhelmed with all the different books and resources and possible study schedules. I'm trying to do the 6 month prep plan outlined on the LSAT Blog.

bhan87

Re: SuperPrep or just Bibles?

Postby bhan87 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:43 am

emarxnj wrote:I've just about finished reading the NOVA Master the LSAT text, which I understand is a decent starting point, although certainly lacking in the LG and LR sections for sure. I have a very long time to prep, and I currently have/have ordered the LR and LG Bibles from PowerScore, all three "Actual, Official" books of PTs and PTs 46-57. I'm wondering if I should grab the LSAT SuperPrep as well, or should I get right into the in-depth, section-specific work (as well the PTs). My first PT (#29) was a 155, for what its worth.

I'm just a bit overwhelmed with all the different books and resources and possible study schedules. I'm trying to do the 6 month prep plan outlined on the LSAT Blog.

I recommend using SuperPrep. The game setups are actually not that dissimilar to PowerScore, and I found the LR and RC explanations very useful for getting a sense of how testmakers expect students to approach each question.

You should use it earlier in your prep as the tests they include are bit on the older side.

beaubois

Postby beaubois » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:50 am

I think each company has a different approach. I looked through most of them, and I liked powerscore the most. My biggest recommendation, since you have so much time, is to take as many of the published lsats as possible (I think there are more than 50). Start without a time limit and reduce your time once you get a score that you would be happy with. I think if you work very hard, you can get your un-timed score.

beaubois

Postby beaubois » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:53 am

I got upper 170's which I only mention b/c I don't think that I've ever said my score on this board before.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:49 am

beaubois wrote:I think each company has a different approach. I looked through most of them, and I liked powerscore the most. My biggest recommendation, since you have so much time, is to take as many of the published lsats as possible (I think there are more than 50). Start without a time limit and reduce your time once you get a score that you would be happy with. I think if you work very hard, you can get your un-timed score.

My plan is to pretty much take every PT available, the earlier ones for stuff like untimed and timed drills, and then the later ones (I guess 46 on) for the last month or so for practicing full-length timed exams. Right now I'm just jumping around trying to figure how to spread my workload out over such a long prep period. My goal is a score of 170 (and congrats to you by the way!) or up, so right now I'm just trying to plan how to prep for so long without losing effectiveness..theirs only so many practice tests! :)

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:29 pm

SuperPrep is gold, and it's explanations are generic enough I don't think they will conflict much with other prep companies' materials.

Not a fan of burning through every preptest, at least at the expense of repeating tests. Going through tests over and over again is like watching a movie for a second or third time. You start to notice important things you missed previously. (I see dead people!)

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:26 pm

EarlCat wrote:SuperPrep is gold, and it's explanations are generic enough I don't think they will conflict much with other prep companies' materials.

Not a fan of burning through every preptest, at least at the expense of repeating tests. Going through tests over and over again is like watching a movie for a second or third time. You start to notice important things you missed previously. (I see dead people!)

This was my main concern actually, but I ordered. Good to know it will mesh easily with the other texts.

I'm still a bit confused over the idea of photocopying and repeating problems you get wrong. Understanding and reviewing WHY an answer choice was incorrect and why the answer is the only correct one makes sense obviously, but even if I repeat a problem two weeks later, I feel like I'll see it and just remember either what answer wasn't right or which is correct. It just doesn't seem an effective prep strategy IMO because the LSAT isn't going to contain problems I've seen before (problem types yes).

As of now, I plan on using PTs 7 and 9-38 for drills and timed sections, then 46-62 for the month leading up to the exam to practice taking full exams. Maybe still using some of the relatively more recent older tests (30-38?) for full exams, though less frequently of course.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 pm

I'm still a bit confused over the idea of photocopying and repeating problems you get wrong. Understanding and reviewing WHY an answer choice was incorrect and why the answer is the only correct one makes sense obviously, but even if I repeat a problem two weeks later, I feel like I'll see it and just remember either what answer wasn't right or which is correct. It just doesn't seem an effective prep strategy IMO because the LSAT isn't going to contain problems I've seen before (problem types yes).

quote]

You will find that the similarities in questions are incredibly close, especially in LG and LR. You will also most likely find that you are missing questions that are very similar to each other for similar reasons. Going back over them a while later should help you avoid the same mistakes.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:37 am

jdfrisby wrote:I'm still a bit confused over the idea of photocopying and repeating problems you get wrong. Understanding and reviewing WHY an answer choice was incorrect and why the answer is the only correct one makes sense obviously, but even if I repeat a problem two weeks later, I feel like I'll see it and just remember either what answer wasn't right or which is correct. It just doesn't seem an effective prep strategy IMO because the LSAT isn't going to contain problems I've seen before (problem types yes).

You will find that the similarities in questions are incredibly close, especially in LG and LR. You will also most likely find that you are missing questions that are very similar to each other for similar reasons. Going back over them a while later should help you avoid the same mistakes.[/quote]

Ah I think I understand. I also wasn't sure if it was just out of necessity, namely running out actual practice tests (I've got almost all of them). I can see how it would be helpful to be able to highlight a similar type of question on a certain problem type that could be problematic. I guess I will just photocopy all of the games and LR problems I plan on using for individual uses... I think PithyPike recommends three copies of each, any ideas why?

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

emarxnj wrote:
jdfrisby wrote:I'm still a bit confused over the idea of photocopying and repeating problems you get wrong. Understanding and reviewing WHY an answer choice was incorrect and why the answer is the only correct one makes sense obviously, but even if I repeat a problem two weeks later, I feel like I'll see it and just remember either what answer wasn't right or which is correct. It just doesn't seem an effective prep strategy IMO because the LSAT isn't going to contain problems I've seen before (problem types yes).

You will find that the similarities in questions are incredibly close, especially in LG and LR. You will also most likely find that you are missing questions that are very similar to each other for similar reasons. Going back over them a while later should help you avoid the same mistakes.

If you are studying long-term you will run out of questions.

Also in my experience both the superprep and Nova are generally pretty useless. I would stick to the Bibles.

The thing about re-doing questions is that you probably won't just remember them unless you've just done them very recently. That is, you will remember them but you won't remember what the right answer is. The biggest problem with re-doing questions isn't that you remember the answer, its that you have a feeling that its one particular answer and you aren't quite sure why. You aren't sure if its because you remember it or whether you've figured it out this time and that feeling just plays with your head.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:15 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

If you are studying long-term you will run out of questions.

Also in my experience both the superprep and Nova are generally pretty useless. I would stick to the Bibles.

The thing about re-doing questions is that you probably won't just remember them unless you've just done them very recently. That is, you will remember them but you won't remember what the right answer is. The biggest problem with re-doing questions isn't that you remember the answer, its that you have a feeling that its one particular answer and you aren't quite sure why. You aren't sure if its because you remember it or whether you've figured it out this time and that feeling just plays with your head.

Yeah I'm almost done with NOVA, its LG and LR sections seem to be pretty lacking. Theirs some decent tips throughout, but it sounds like the others are preferred. Does anyone know which LSAT is in that book by the way?

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:02 pm

If you truly want to do every PT, you'll need Superprep because it contains PT A, B and C, and LSAT doesn't offer them individually. It's only $18 on Amazon, so it's worth it even if you don't use anything but the PTs. The out-of-print LSATs, and all published PTs except for A, B, and C, are available as PDFs from Cambridge LSAT. It's a good idea to get a few of their five-section tests for endurance training as the test date approaches. They also offer LGs and the others in grouped-by-type sets. These are excellent prep tools. If you prefer hard copies, they recently began offering these as well.

The explanatory content in SuperPrep is the essentially the same as LSAC's newly released Official LSAT Handbook, except that the latter explains the comparative reading passage and a few words about substitute-condition LGs. The Handbook includes no PTs. There is a free PT (June 2007) and some other helpful prep material on the LSAC website.

Avoid all non-official prep material, except for the Powerscore Bibles, which, unlike most others, are based mostly official LSAT questions. Many of the cheaper prep books claim to use official questions but in fact contain very few and the rest, including so-called practice tests, are fake LSAT questions.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:15 pm

fastforward wrote:If you truly want to do every PT, you'll need Superprep because it contains PT A, B and C, and LSAT doesn't offer them individually. It's only $18 on Amazon, so it's worth it even if you don't use anything but the PTs. The out-of-print LSATs, and all published PTs except for A, B, and C, are available as PDFs from Cambridge LSAT. It's a good idea to get a few of their five-section tests for endurance training as the test date approaches. They also offer LGs and the others in grouped-by-type sets. These are excellent prep tools. If you prefer hard copies, they recently began offering these as well.

The explanatory content in SuperPrep is the essentially the same as LSAC's newly released Official LSAT Handbook, except that the latter explains the comparative reading passage and a few words about substitute-condition LGs. The Handbook includes no PTs. There is a free PT (June 2007) and some other helpful prep material on the LSAC website.

Avoid all non-official prep material, except for the Powerscore Bibles, which, unlike most others, are based mostly official LSAT questions. Many of the cheaper prep books claim to use official questions but in fact contain very few and the rest, including so-called practice tests, are fake LSAT questions.

Is the LSAT Handbook included in SuperPrep now, or do you need to order it seperately to get the comparative reading info?

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:42 pm

A comparative reading explanation is included on the free LSAC prep info in a PDF file on the link I provided^. You really don't need much to become familiar with this type of passage. The questions are fairly predictable, such as comparing(!) and contrasting the two, or what the author of one passage would think about the other.

OP, your attention to detail at this early point in your prep tells my you may be anxious about the process. Be careful not to get yourself overwhelmed. Remember, well begun is half done. If you are unsure where to start, I suggest the LR Bible. Read Ch. 1 through 3 (the basics) and Ch. 6 (conditional reasoning), then start working the grouping LG games (grouped-by-type from Cambridge). Then start working through the PTs, beginning with the earlier ones. At the same time, continue working through the LR Bible, and be sure to review your PTs and carefully analyze every incorrect answer -- articulate why each choice is correct or wrong. Don't worry about speed until later, but do note your time for each section. We have a list of Resources on our site such as a free mp3 file or iphone app of a simulated proctor when you're ready to add bells and whistles.

Once you get more into prep with quality materials, you will begin to see your own progress and your unique prep needs will come into focus. All the best in your efforts.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:04 pm

fastforward wrote:A comparative reading explanation is included on the free LSAC prep info in a PDF file on the link I provided^. You really don't need much to become familiar with this type of passage. The questions are fairly predictable, such as comparing(!) and contrasting the two, or what the author of one passage would think about the other.

OP, your attention to detail at this early point in your prep tells my you may be anxious about the process. Be careful not to get yourself overwhelmed. Remember, well begun is half done. If you are unsure where to start, I suggest the LR Bible. Read Ch. 1 through 3 (the basics) and Ch. 6 (conditional reasoning), then start working the grouping LG games (grouped-by-type from Cambridge). Then start working through the PTs, beginning with the earlier ones. At the same time, continue working through the LR Bible, and be sure to review your PTs and carefully analyze every incorrect answer -- articulate why each choice is correct or wrong. Don't worry about speed until later, but do note your time for each section. We have a list of Resources on our site such as a free mp3 file or iphone app of a simulated proctor when you're ready to add bells and whistles.

Once you get more into prep with quality materials, you will begin to see your own progress and your unique prep needs will come into focus. All the best in your efforts.

I guess I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the different approachs and materials, but I've decided to go with the 6 month prep plan outline on the LSAT Blog. I'm not starting until April, and to be honest, I am a bit anxious to start. I really enjoy the work it entails, but then again, we'll see about that after 3-4 months of studying. Thank you for the reply

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:04 pm

One thing to do until you start is to spend time browsing the LSATBlog. Steve is a rich source for all things LSAT (along with this site of course).

A word of warning about the NOVA book: I have my clients bring in materials they've used in the past, and came across this one. It's not the worst one out there, and it's been a while since I briefly looked at it. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall it's the one in which they advise that you can eliminate LR answer choices if two are similar. WRONG. They often plant an answer similar to the correct choice as a distracter, to lure you into not reading all the possible answer choices. That's an example of why people here (and Steve on LSATBlog) advise against using prep books other than official LSAC materials and the bibles.

You have a plan a great plan now, so onward and upward. And yes, the process often does remain enjoyable months in, as you see your amazing progress.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:06 pm

emarxnj wrote: It just doesn't seem an effective prep strategy IMO because the LSAT isn't going to contain problems I've seen before

But the the LSAT will contain problems you've seen before. They'll have different names and the topics, but the mechanics (flaws, game setups, rules, etc.) will basically be the same. There's a point where you will see almost any LSAT question and think, hey, that's just like that one question. Finding the answer to the new question then will be a breeze because it works exactly like questions you're already familiar with.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:45 pm

EarlCat wrote:
emarxnj wrote: It just doesn't seem an effective prep strategy IMO because the LSAT isn't going to contain problems I've seen before

But the the LSAT will contain problems you've seen before. They'll have different names and the topics, but the mechanics (flaws, game setups, rules, etc.) will basically be the same. There's a point where you will see almost any LSAT question and think, hey, that's just like that one question. Finding the answer to the new question then will be a breeze because it works exactly like questions you're already familiar with.

I've come to understand this fairly recently; I'm going to make copys of all LG problems I use for individual use. Thanks for the reply as well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”