Speed on Logic Games

candycat

Speed on Logic Games

Postby candycat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 am

Hello, I've been studying for the LSAT starting 2 weeks ago and logic games is my weakest section (I'm still on linear games in the powerscore logic games bible). I've gotten -0 or -1 on the games I've done so far, but they take me like 30 minutes to complete. When I try to speed up, I end up making mistakes. Also I'm having difficulty fully adapting the powerscore approach (inferences and diagramming the rules) - I miss inferences or take forever making them and when I diagram the rules I still go back to read the rules in the problem instead of looking at the diagrammed ones.

Any advice/experience on how to overcome these problems? Is it a common problem or am I starting off with the wrong approach to studying?

Thanks! :)

Ignatius Reilly

Re: Speed on Logic Games

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:22 am

You could try to just make the easy inferences....

1) a>b and b>c --> a>b>c
2) crossing out where letters cant go
3) If you have a block (aka ABC together) check the game to see if it is limited

Sometimes you might be looking for an inference that is not there and just need to move on.

In my opinion the games are about knowing when to write out all the possibilities and when not to.

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:37 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:You could try to just make the easy inferences....

1) a>b and b>c --> a>b>c
2) crossing out where letters cant go
3) If you have a block (aka ABC together) check the game to see if it is limited

Sometimes you might be looking for an inference that is not there and just need to move on.

In my opinion the games are about knowing when to write out all the possibilities and when not to.

agree.

Also attack easy questions within the game first. These questions include an acceptable/possible list (usually the first question). 1.Eliminate answer choices that break rules non-conditional rules (L not with K).
2.Also when setting up your grid, make sure to place what letters can't go above the sections. For example: L goes sometime before K. Therefore, in a schedule of 1-7 L cannot be number 7. So above number 7 write ~L, meaning L cannot be there. This will also help to quickly eliminate additional answer choices within "possible list" questions. Answer choice with L as 7 can immediately be eliminated.
3. Where the rules are listed within the game, number them (1. L is 5) . Then write each rule to the side, including the number. This will reduce the chance of you forgetting a rule.
4. Combine conditional rules. If K is is 6, then J is 4. If K is before J, then L is 2. By combining these rules and placing them within a grid, many times you can get a clearer picture of the game. Also at times games include rules that placement is not possible (by following one of the rules, it breaks another). By combining this can be easily discovered.
5. Finally practice.

Hope these tips help. :)

candycat

Postby candycat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:22 am

I'm gonna try using those suggestions, I think the numbering the rules suggestion from is def going to help me :D Also I've been reading the bajillion links to basically the same question, and they are so thorough o_o I have a lot to learn apparently :(

Thank you guys/girls! :D

Excel

Postby Excel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:48 am

The basic advice is just keep taking your time, and you will naturally speed up.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”