am i a douche? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
pu_golf88

Bronze

Re: am i a douche?

Post by pu_golf88 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:42 am

tl;dr

Yes

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:46 am

Calling someone a douche is disrespectful to women.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:41 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Calling someone a douche is disrespectful to women.
dude I lol'd at the tar....somehow it fits the screename

@OP You are a huge dbag. You are also insecure. If you were really smart, you would not need an lsat score to justify it.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:46 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
NZA wrote:Yes.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:07 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:

@OP You are a huge dbag. You are also insecure. If you were really smart, you would not need an lsat score to justify it.
I'm not the OP but I think this applies to me, too. My whole life I have sort of theorized that I am more intelligent than almost all people that I meet, but my inner skeptic sometimes wonders if it possible that I have been wrong this whole time and that I am misconstruing a virtually infinite number of details of everyday life in order to draw this incorrect conclusion.

I haven't exactly achieved much in my life, so scoring a 175 on the LSAT is perhaps the largest single instance of external validation of my "theory." I figure that it is highly unlikely that I would score in the 99.5th percentile on this very competitive test if I were, in fact, deluding myself. Therefore, I am probably not deluding myself about this.

TL;DR: I'm a douche!

(Disclaimer: Before I am accused of lacking in humility, I should say that there are more than a few posters on this forum who I recognize as being more intelligent than I! This forum is hardly representative of the general population.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:12 am

People who boast about their IQs are losers.-Stephen Hawking

replace iq with lsat

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:10 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:

I'm glad you got a kick out of that. I've been having many HA! HA! moments during my review sessions this week.

OP - Best not to mention it, since you might offend lower-scoring test takers such as myself. But honestly there are some situations where you can't help but feel a bit elitist, as demonstrated by the following thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=132620

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 am

If you have to ask, the answer's yes.

But seriously, I might agree that the LSAT's indicative of intelligence if we're talking about a cold diagnostic score. I'm incredibly impressed by people who score highly without having ever encountered the test before. But once you start studying, it's so learnable -- then it doesn't really mean much (to me).

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:06 am

cinephile wrote:If you have to ask, the answer's yes.

But seriously, I might agree that the LSAT's indicative of intelligence if we're talking about a cold diagnostic score. I'm incredibly impressed by people who score highly without having ever encountered the test before. But once you start studying, it's so learnable -- then it doesn't really mean much (to me).

I would argue that taking the time to prepare for the test so you do well shows intelligence. I don't think a cold diagnostic score indicates much. Your experiences leading up to it might have prepared you better than some other tester (for ex. you have taken a logic course).

I agree with the poster quoting Hawking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:14 am

I'm pretty sure I scored a 141 on my cold diagnostic (a few months ago now seems like ages ago). I'm now scoring in the 160s.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 am

Adjudicator wrote:You're not a douche for thinking this privately, but you may be a douche by virtue of posting it on a public forum and then asking "Am I a douche?"
/thread.

Also, people who think they are objectively more intelligent in ANY way in comparison to somebody who scored even 3-5 points lower than them on the LSAT needs to jump off a bridge. Seriously.

This is not legal advice.

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:36 am

mst wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:You're not a douche for thinking this privately, but you may be a douche by virtue of posting it on a public forum and then asking "Am I a douche?"
/thread.

Also, people who think they are objectively more intelligent in ANY way in comparison to somebody who scored even 3-5 points lower than them on the LSAT needs to jump off a bridge. Seriously.

this.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:58 am

mst wrote:
/thread.

This is pretty much the credited response. I laughed at the text in the bold there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:03 am

bmore wrote:
cinephile wrote:If you have to ask, the answer's yes.

I would argue that taking the time to prepare for the test so you do well shows intelligence. I don't think a cold diagnostic score indicates much. Your experiences leading up to it might have prepared you better than some other tester (for ex. you have taken a logic course).I agree with the poster quoting Hawking.
You're right. I changed my mind. I'd be impressed by a baby/alien/person raised in a vacuum with a high cold diagnostic. Everyone else . . . meh.

And agreed that taking the time to prepare shows a certain kind of intelligence.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:15 am

Is it a douche move to hear someone in a store say on the phone "Anthony wasn't feeling good" and accidentally blurt out "Well." (adj)?

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:16 am

Because, clearly, if you get one or two more questions right on a single test, that means you're more intelligent. :lol:

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:Because, clearly, if you get one or two more questions right on a single test, that means you're more intelligent. :lol:

you mean guess one or two more questions right on a single test.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:33 pm

OP: Yes.

*reads topic*

Oh. I see. Well, "intelligence" is not a terribly well-defined word anyway. Some people use it to mean "knowledgeable" ("He's taken like 248071 science classes! He's so smart!"). Some people use it to refer to certain aspects of mental quickness ("He memorized that entire play just sitting there and watching it once! He's so smart!") or other aspects of mental quickness ("He always comes up with a witty retort instantly! He's so smart!"). Some people use it to refer to certain analytical skills ("He solved that problem in under a minute! He's so smart!"). Other people use it in various other ways.

To gloss over a fairly complicated subject quickly, suffice it to say that scholarly writing on intelligence similarly lacks consensus as to exactly what it is (theories of "g" remain controversial, alternatives involving "multiple intelligences" are no less so, etc.).

So if you want to think of yourself as smart because of your LSAT score, feel free. But bear in mind that someone else might have a reasonable claim on greater "intelligence" for some other, equally arbitrary reason.

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:54 pm

this thread has helped me in my lsat prep immensely!

i wonder if OP is the same guy that made this web page http://www.archure.net/psychology/akrosintel.html

in all seriousness...sounds like you have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superiority_complex

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Man, I read some of that guy's page, and it made me really sad. Because I'm sure he's serious.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Also, that guy is a great example of TomWatts' point. He may have a high IQ, but he is pretty retarded in many other ways.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

helloperson

Bronze

Post by helloperson » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:18 am

If you really believe that intelligence can be distilled to a single number, then not only are you douchey for your arrogance, but you are foolish for your credulousness.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:38 am

fosterp wrote:
i wonder if OP is the same guy that made this web page http://www.archure.net/psychology/akrosintel.html
ahahaha this is just full of gems!!!

"(as a child, I thought I was dumb, till testing in school led to telling me I was a genius, at times I thought perhaps they lied to motivate and make me cooperate more, but I eventually self-tested myself, and I really am brilliant)"

Problem: You are dumb. Solution: Find a test you are good at.
Last edited by arism87 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:42 am

In all fairness I check USNWR rankings for everyone that brags about being in some prestigious grad program, no matter the program. If they are in a program lower than T20 or so I snicker and feel superior.

Not really.

Unless they are douchetastic, then they deserve it.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:42 am

Adjudicator wrote:I'm not the OP but I think this applies to me, too. My whole life I have sort of theorized that I am more intelligent than almost all people that I meet, but my inner skeptic sometimes wonders if it possible that I have been wrong this whole time and that I am misconstruing a virtually infinite number of details of everyday life in order to draw this incorrect conclusion.

I haven't exactly achieved much in my life, so scoring a 175 on the LSAT is perhaps the largest single instance of external validation of my "theory." I figure that it is highly unlikely that I would score in the 99.5th percentile on this very competitive test if I were, in fact, deluding myself. Therefore, I am probably not deluding myself about this.

TL;DR: I'm a douche!

(Disclaimer: Before I am accused of lacking in humility, I should say that there are more than a few posters on this forum who I recognize as being more intelligent than I! This forum is hardly representative of the general population.)
I more smart than you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”