June vs. October LSAT

goose2010

June vs. October LSAT

Postby goose2010 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm aiming to attend law school beginning in the fall of 2012. I graduated in May 2010 and have been working since graduation. Unfortunately, I will not be able to continue working while preparing for the LSAT due to the nature of my job (traveling 100% of the time). I originally planned on working until the summer and then taking a prep class/studying to take the October LSAT. I started thinking that maybe it would be better to take the June LSAT so that I would have time over the summer/fall to visit schools before beginning the application process since the schools that I visit are contingent upon my LSAT score.

Any thoughts?

Bildungsroman

Re: June vs. October LSAT

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:10 pm

goose2010 wrote:Any thoughts?

A couple thoughts:

1. I think the June LSAT is the better option. It gives you a lot of time to identify a range of schools to apply to once you get your score, it allows you time to research and visit schools over a longer period of time, and most importantly, if you're dissatisfied with your score you then have the opportunity to take the examination again in October without making your apps too late. If you take it for the first time in October, then a retake happens in December, your scores come out late December or early January, you get your apps in later, you get decisions later, less time for visits, etc.

2. You shouldn't feel like it's necessary to quit your job to study for the LSAT, even if it's travel intensive. Self-study can be done in a hotel room and is very mobile (just a couple of books and some tests). If you feel like you absolutely need to take a class, look into an online course that you could work around your schedule.

sojuteacher

Postby sojuteacher » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:11 pm

One thing to consider is the possibility of needing to retake. I took the June and then retook in October. Very happy I did.
If you do it in October and need to retake in December, your apps will be in later in the cycle..

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:16 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
goose2010 wrote:Any thoughts?

A couple thoughts:

1. I think the June LSAT is the better option. It gives you a lot of time to identify a range of schools to apply to once you get your score, it allows you time to research and visit schools over a longer period of time, and most importantly, if you're dissatisfied with your score you then have the opportunity to take the examination again in October without making your apps too late. If you take it for the first time in October, then a retake happens in December, your scores come out late December or early January, you get your apps in later, you get decisions later, less time for visits, etc.

2. You shouldn't feel like it's necessary to quit your job to study for the LSAT, even if it's travel intensive. Self-study can be done in a hotel room and is very mobile (just a couple of books and some tests). If you feel like you absolutely need to take a class, look into an online course that you could work around your schedule.

+1

I would definitely take the June test if I were in your position. If you prepare well and are pleased with your June score, you will be able to get your apps in as soon as they become available, which is very beneficial at some schools.

Also, if you are looking into a prep class, I would highly recommend that you check out some online options. I completed an online course and was very pleased with my results. The class provided just the right amount of structure for my study routine/plan.

goose2010

Postby goose2010 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. I agree that having the option to retake in October while still applying early would be great.

Unfortunately, an online class and self-studying isn't the best option for me (or my schedule) to prep. I did a few online classes in high school and the format just didn't work for me. Also, my work schedule is very intense (11 hour days while working weekends) and I don't think working around the schedule would allow me to effectively prepare myself to the best of my abilities. I think an in-person class will afford me the structure and preparation that's necessary for me to achieve the highest score I can.

Thanks again for the responses.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”