PT33 Game 4, birds in a forest Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
theaether

Bronze

PT33 Game 4, birds in a forest

Post by theaether » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:27 am

I'm about halfway through the LGB, and I thought this was an unusual situation. I did not find anything with search function, just discussion about the logic game itself being difficult/hard.

the answer is B, wrens + shrikes both in the forest.

I gather this comes from:

W-->G
G-->~H
~H-->~J
~J-->S

so, W-->G-->~H-->~J-->S, both W and S are in the forest.

But the added condition is:
S-->~H, leading to ~H-->S, and S-->~H, an endless loop.

My question is: are these types of endless loop situations common? I got totally brainfucked by this question when I saw that the new condition created such a loop.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Re: PT33 Game 4, birds in a forest

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:10 pm

I don't have the game in front of me, though I've played it many times. I didn't notice the loop, but have been able to answer the question fairly easily by applying the new rule set. I think you may be over thinking the question if the loop threw you for a loop :). However, sounds like you're trying to think more broadly about the game, which is a great stance. For this one, though, note the new rule (connect it to the others as you have) and start knocking down answers. There's a lot to be said for noticing which elements are now "hot" in the sense that one knocks another in/out that was not there before, and looking for answers that involve that to make your answer analysis faster. But that shouldn't take you into worrying about the rule's

Big loops are rare, though bi-directional relationships are not. There are instances where an element must be included or cannot be.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”