Best way to go through Powerscore LG Bible

guacamole007

Best way to go through Powerscore LG Bible

Postby guacamole007 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:49 am

First-time poster here. I recently purchased Powerscore LG book after hearing how good it is. Now, I'm just trying to figure out exactly how I would approach it with other prep tests. I took a diagnostic exam (got around 150), but I got HAMMERED in Logical Reasoning. I only took English and Econ courses, and only philosophy class I took was moral, not logic, so I'm trying to figure out how to go about this book. Just read it and do the problems? Or should I try to like maybe do an outline of each chapter? Any suggestions would be awesome. :D

Revolver066

Re: Best way to go through Powerscore LG Bible

Postby Revolver066 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:01 am

I read the LG and LR bibles one after the other before I did any prep tests. Just read a chapter or two at time and did all the exercises and problems. For the LG I'd do each game until I did it 100 percent correct under 8 45. The formal logic was the hardest for me to grasp, and I had to read through the section about 3 times, but that helped me a ton. Make sure you get the necessary-sufficient ideas down cold. Memorize the signifier words and you'll be ok. Absolutely crucial for both LG and LR. Cant stress that enough. Hope this helped!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:52 am

Revolver's right on the money. I'm a little unclear if you mean Logical Reasoning ("arguments") or Analytical Reasoning ("logic games"). I'll just give my two cents for both :-)

I took notes as I went through the LR Bible. After I finished the book, I synthesized these notes into a "cheat sheet" then reviewed it every time before I looked at any LR questions. I had it memorized in no time, and it really boosted my score.

For games, remember that accuracy-->speed-->efficiency. I would make copies of the practice games in the book so you can easily do them more than once. Work through them, then do them again in a few days to try to make more/better inferences and work faster. Make sure you understand EVERY PIECE of the book's diagram and explanation- yours doesn't have to be just like there's,but you need to understand their full reasoning to make sure you're getting everything. After you've finished the book, it's really just drill, drill, drill. I did most of the games three times on a rotating cycle, and I went from missing about half the questions in an LG section to -1 or -0.

Good luck!

guacamole007 wrote:First-time poster here. I recently purchased Powerscore LG book after hearing how good it is. Now, I'm just trying to figure out exactly how I would approach it with other prep tests. I took a diagnostic exam (got around 150), but I got HAMMERED in Logical Reasoning. I only took English and Econ courses, and only philosophy class I took was moral, not logic, so I'm trying to figure out how to go about this book. Just read it and do the problems? Or should I try to like maybe do an outline of each chapter? Any suggestions would be awesome. :D

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:30 am

Just read the bibles in order and work the problems. When you're done use these flashcards or create some that are similar. http://www.flashcardmachine.com/lsat.html

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:20 am

If you need practice exercises be sure to check out Cambridge Lsat. They breakdown their question types similarly to powerscore

--LinkRemoved--)/358

guacamole007

Postby guacamole007 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:55 am

Awesome, thank you! I meant Logical Reasoning ("arguments"). Analytical Reasoning needs work, too, but I mind it less because it's like a game to me (I have a very mathematical mind). I really like the idea of study sheet - will definitely do that! And that's a great link for flashcards. I'll have to bookmark it.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:59 am

guacamole007 wrote:Awesome, thank you! I meant Logical Reasoning ("arguments"). Analytical Reasoning needs work, too, but I mind it less because it's like a game to me (I have a very mathematical mind). I really like the idea of study sheet - will definitely do that! And that's a great link for flashcards. I'll have to bookmark it.

Just a tip for LR, after you've done a few PT's prephrase the answer in your mind after reading the stim and before readin the answer choices. LSAC test makers get paid a lot of money to create answer choices that are very attractive but contain minor inconsistencies that lead it to being incorrect. I found that when pre-phrasing answers you are less open to being tricked.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Oh, for LR just practice, practice, practice. After doing PT after PT, you begin to see that LR has a language of it's own. You will start to recognize patterns and common wrong answer choices. If you do enough, not only will you be able to pre-phrase the right answer, but you can start to predict the wrong answer choices they'll probably put in too.

Also, after you've practiced, learn to trust your gut. Don't dwell on choices trying to make the answer correct. I believe in the Kaplan books, they stress saying in the minds of the LSAT writers, there is only ONE clear, definite correct answer choices. After a while, you will learn to spot out these choices and dismiss the lesser candidates super quickly. GL!

guacamole007

Postby guacamole007 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:04 am

kkklick wrote:Just a tip for LR, after you've done a few PT's prephrase the answer in your mind after reading the stim and before readin the answer choices. LSAC test makers get paid a lot of money to create answer choices that are very attractive but contain minor inconsistencies that lead it to being incorrect. I found that when pre-phrasing answers you are less open to being tricked.

So, does that mean that you are likely to come across the paraphrased version as the correct answer choice (or similar to it)? My only *worry* (probably naive, but oh well) with paraphrasing is on coming up with wrong paraphrasing, or a shock when my paraphrasing doesn't match any of the answer choices! Then I may panic and need to re-read the stimulus and possibly question stem, and that'll cost time..and my score. :?

@Revolver066: Definitely! I'll try to do as many practice tests. Just wondering, does it matter which PTs you start from? In other words, is it better to start with older ones and save newer ones later or just do the newer ones? I want to make sure I use my time wisely with the new semester coming up soon!

EvanC

Postby EvanC » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:08 am

Revolver066 wrote:Oh, for LR just practice, practice, practice. After doing PT after PT, you begin to see that LR has a language of it's own. You will start to recognize patterns and common wrong answer choices. If you do enough, not only will you be able to pre-phrase the right answer, but you can start to predict the wrong answer choices they'll probably put in too.

Also, after you've practiced, learn to trust your gut. Don't dwell on choices trying to make the answer correct. I believe in the Kaplan books, they stress saying in the minds of the LSAT writers, there is only ONE clear, definite correct answer choices. After a while, you will learn to spot out these choices and dismiss the lesser candidates super quickly. GL!

This was a huge point I learned when working through some of the Bibles. They say "which is most correct", but there is still only one correct answer because otherwise the validity of the test would then be questionable.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:07 am

With the prep tests, I'd start early then work your way up. The earlier PTs are a little different, but they require the same basic skills.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:12 am

Starting with front cover and ending at back cover usually works. Mileage may vary.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Revolver066 wrote:I read the LG and LR bibles one after the other before I did any prep tests. Just read a chapter or two at time and did all the exercises and problems. For the LG I'd do each game until I did it 100 percent correct under 8 45. The formal logic was the hardest for me to grasp, and I had to read through the section about 3 times, but that helped me a ton. Make sure you get the necessary-sufficient ideas down cold. Memorize the signifier words and you'll be ok. Absolutely crucial for both LG and LR. Cant stress that enough. Hope this helped!

This is what I have done so far as well.

jre425

Postby jre425 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:48 pm

Powerscore LR and LG bible workbooks are helping me make sure i fully understand the bigger brother bibles, i use the bibles as reference and do a lot of practice out of my workbooks right now and its a great review after reading. I'm also rereading sections where i don't understand in the big bibles..my scores are hurting a little right now but I feel like im starting to really get into get in the guts of the lsat. Also the flash cards by powerscore are nice. Gawsh powerscore has taken lots of my moneyz.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:41 am

If you are struggling with LR, make sure you don't gloss over the beginning of the book where it gives classification of question types. When you are doing practice exams, be able to classify the questions so that at the end of the section when you are grading it (or end of test if it's a full PT), you can keep a log of how many you got wrong by question type. Once you have a sample of 5 individual sections (or about 3 full tests), add up how many you got wrong by question type and you will almost certainly see a trend. When you see a trend, go back to those chapters and make sure you fundamentally grasp the theory behind answering that question type correctly. You need reliable data to prep intelligently, so you should definitely by tracking your wrongs by question type.

A couple things in the PS LR Bible I found very helpful that I glossed over the first time I read it:

-Pg. 48, when the book goes over when the stimulus is affecting the answer choice, and when the answer choice affects the stimulus. Basic stuff you need to have down cold so you don't need to think about it on test day.
-The "Assumption Negation Technique," which is superb if you are struggling with assumption questions. I didn't pay attention to it till I noticed I was getting more assumption questions wrong than other types. The first time I read it it seemed pointless, the second time I read it it became a powerful tool that resulted in getting one assumption question wrong in the last 5 PT's I did before test day combined.
-Flaws in Reasoning. This is one part of the book that I felt was worth actually taking out a notebook and outlining. On days when I was studying LR, I would write down every type of error to make sure I remembered them. I don't think you need to do that but it was helpful having all of the main logical error types down cold so I didn't have to think about them. The correct answers were flying off the page at that point.
-A little note in the strengthen/weaken sections that I didn't catch in the first read, that even though they tell you to choose the answer that MOST weakens the stimulus, there is ONLY ONE ANSWER that actually does so. All of the other answers either have a 0% or strengthen impact on the conclusion. So if you see two answers that APPEAR to weaken the conclusion, know that you're not debating between which one of those MOST weakens it. Only one of them actually does.

To some posters on this site that may all look like very basic stuff but if you're starting from the beginning, you gotta start with basics. In short, read the book once, takes notes, do sections, do trend analysis by classification type, and attack weaknesses by reviewing pertinent chapters.

PS - Flashcards are a waste of money.

gamblera

Postby gamblera » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:38 pm

If you are looking for exercises, check out lsatblog.blogspot.com (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/month-ls ... plans.html) lists types of problems and the order you should do them in. his guides are made to be done with the lb series.

also gives advice on the different sections of the lsat.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”