Has anyone failed LSAT worse than me?

jmoney2323

Has anyone failed LSAT worse than me?

Postby jmoney2323 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:30 pm

So today was my third time taking the LSAT...First time in Feb I canceled (wasn't ready), second time this October I felt like I was ready, but bombed the RC and LG and got in the mid 150s... Third time today...came in thinking I was going to kill it but bombed it again...I didn't do well on my first 4 sections and during the 5th section, I started CRYING (yes) in the back of the room. Because of this I couldn't even do 20 of the problems... and left the room during the writing section. And theres no "what if you think you did better than you thought" on this one...I am 100% positive I failed it considering I put "C's" down for 20 questions in the last section...

How can I be PT'ing in the 165-170 range and just completely get destroyed on the real thing? I took EVERY single PT, under timed conditions in noisy places, experimental sections...etc...took testmasters course...I basically did everything I could do to prepare for this exam...

Anyone experience something of this magnitude? I don't know what to do with my life anymore...for the past year and half all I did was study LSAT...no job, no school. I put so much hard work into this. I mean, I would be okay if I wasn't understanding the material to this day, but I was, and was scoring so high on my PTs...thats what makes me depressed the most. The fact that I know I can do well, but I dont...

Is it even worth trying again in February? I have a feeling that this same thing is going to happen again no matter how prepared I am going into the test.

I feel like shit...

please no jokes :-(
Last edited by jmoney2323 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$1.99

Re: Has anyone failed LSAT worse than me?

Postby $1.99 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:31 pm

lol you made me laugh because you are too pitiful for words

but keep up the hard work, you can still take it one more time if you get permission.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:33 pm

by the way i am in a similar situation as you, that is why i found it humorous.

i have always practiced tested at 174 - 178 but i bomb on test days. i got a 171 my first try, cancelled my second try because i panicked, and then got a 161 on my third try. today was my last attempt and i feel better because it was just a matter of staying calm and pretending its just another practice test. i got too nervous before because i took the test too seriously.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:36 pm

$1.99 wrote:by the way i am in a similar situation as you, that is why i found it humorous.

i have always practiced tested at 174 - 178 but i bomb on test days. i got a 171 my first try, cancelled my second try because i panicked, and then got a 161 on my third try. today was my last attempt and i feel better because it was just a matter of staying calm and pretending its just another practice test. i got too nervous before because i took the test too seriously.

This is probably your problem. I underperformed on my first take. For the second take I didn't study at all until the night before when I took one practice test. I performed much better when I was more relaxed and hadn't felt like 3 months of study led up to this point.

Wactawshus

Postby Wactawshus » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm

I sympathize with you. Test anxiety is very real, especially when you build up the feeling that this is a 'make or break' type of deal. I suffer from it pretty bad myself. I have taken the test 3 times and in the previous 2 attempts I scored significantly below my p/t average. Like you, I spent LOADS of time and $ in preparation. I know the material inside and out....when I'm at home or the library or the coffee shop. My thing is I panic big time w/ shaking and sweating and I can hardly remember what any of the questions on the test were. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. It happens a lot, and it just might be a challenge you will have to deal with. It's possible that you might have to make due w/ your score(s) and then decide if being a lawyer is what you really want to do. If yes, then working a little harder in a lower school might be something you have to embrace going forward.
Last edited by Wactawshus on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm

We need to be facebook friends.

jmoney2323

Postby jmoney2323 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:38 pm

$1.99 wrote:by the way i am in a similar situation as you, that is why i found it humorous.

did you take it 4 times within a period of 2 years? I would be taking my 4th one in February, which means I'd be taking 4 in less than 1 year...I know I would need permission for that.

But even if I could take it again, I don't know...

I wish the test was on a computer or something...god

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:41 pm

yeah i took it in 09, and three times in 10'. its not hard to get a law school to sponsor you for the 4th time

jmoney2323

Postby jmoney2323 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Wactawshus wrote:I sympathize with you. Test anxiety is very real, especially when you build up the feeling that this is a 'make or break' type of deal. I suffer from it pretty bad myself. I have taken the test 3 times and in the previous 2 attempts I scored significantly below my p/t average. Like you, I spent LOADS of time and $ in preparation. I know the material inside and out....when I'm at home or the library or the coffee shop. My thing is I panic big time w/ shaking and sweating and I can hardly remember what any of the questions on the test were. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. It happens a lot, and it just might be a challenge you will have to deal with. It's possible that you might have to make due w/ your score(s) and then decide if being a lawyer is what you really want to do. If yes, then working a little harder in a lower school might be something you have to embrace going forward.

maybe I should just not study for 2 months and take the Feb test...

thanks for all the advice guys

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:00 pm

I just took the test today and walked out after section 3. I usually PT around 165-168 but for some reason when I turned to the first section, RC with lichens and earthquakes (gross), I just couldn't absorb anything I read and every question I wasn't sure on. Same thing happened in section 2 and section 3, although probably because I was so upset by the RC. I realized that when I preptest I KNOW that the answer I choose doesn't matter and I don't over think it. I just go with my gut and I'm normally right. When you take the real thing you are constantly second guessing yourself, thinking and over-thinking.

Since you know the material if you're getting in the 170s maybe you should go with your gut and first choice and then make sure to put each answer OUT of your mind. See how you do with that in PT.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:02 pm

What's the point in crying? Retake in Feb. Good luck!

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:06 pm

I took it four times in a year.

But as someone wise once said on this board, advice that I really took to heart is, "You are probably a choker."

It probably can't be fixed. This is coming from personal experience. I'm not trying to be a dick.

I'm contemplating a fifth time - if they'll let me, which I doubt they will - just because I honestly love taking the LSAT, setting my expectations high, and getting them crushed.

I doubt it'll happen though (fifth time). I just keep thinking if only I had the "easier" LR section or even a fake section first to warm me up and get me on pace, and I don't run into a LG shitfit, I could break the 170 barrier. That's a lot of factors.

jwzp

Postby jwzp » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Last edited by jwzp on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Ok, well let’s talk solutions. Mid 150’s LSAT, decent GPA…Have fun at Syracuse!

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:19 pm

That's what I'm saying. First off, you can always retake. Secondly, I wouldn't say mid 150s = "bombing the test". That could get you in Syracuse or Michigan State or schools with higher medians if other parts of your app are strong. I know on TLS a lot of people are targeting the T14, etc. But it's not like your law career dreams are over.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:31 pm

Can't retake 1L, find a job that doesn't involve massive educational debt and be happy and stress free.

Coffee is for closers.

KYExtemper

Postby KYExtemper » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:32 pm

I feel your pain. I've always had a hard time cracking these test because of anxiety, but I like the advice of a previous poster who said that you just have to take the pressure off. I had a day much like yourself today and cancelled before the last section. I just need to learn to put that "no pressure" thing into practice and quit freaking out if things aren't going my way 10 mins into the exam. But hey, your not alone!

jmoney2323

Postby jmoney2323 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:35 pm

bartleby wrote:I took it four times in a year.

But as someone wise once said on this board, advice that I really took to heart is, "You are probably a choker."

It probably can't be fixed. This is coming from personal experience. I'm not trying to be a dick.

I'm contemplating a fifth time - if they'll let me, which I doubt they will - just because I honestly love taking the LSAT, setting my expectations high, and getting them crushed.

I doubt it'll happen though (fifth time). I just keep thinking if only I had the "easier" LR section or even a fake section first to warm me up and get me on pace, and I don't run into a LG shitfit, I could break the 170 barrier. That's a lot of factors.

i really hope not...I always thought of myself as someone who performs better under pressure...well I guess thats just when i play sports lol...but on the SATs I wasn't phased at all, and I never choked on any test in college...

fail

dec_failure

Postby dec_failure » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to write the LSAT a 5th time in a 2 year window? I'm just really disappointed in myself. Today was the fourth time I've written the LSAT. Sadly though this is the 5th LSAT I've tehnically been scheduled to write (on my file I have a cancel, 2 mediocre scores, an absence, and now a soon to be Dec result. So I only have two real scores on my file, with the future dec result as a soon to be third score.. fml).

It's sad because I prepped for 3 months religiously and under strict timed conditions. I thought I did everything right. I was prepping at 161-170 during my PTs. Today I don't know what happened. I just panicked and I have no idea how well I did. I guessed on a bunch of questions in the comparative passage, guessed on a bunch of questions on the 2nd and 3rd game, and I already know I got several LR questions wrong. I actually think I did worse than my previous attempt, which was only a shameful 157. Didn't anyone just feel like this test was honestly one of the hardest PTs they've ever done? Maybe it's not. It could just be that I have too much stress and anxiety. When I do a PT in the comfort of my own home I can obtain the score I'm hoping for, but when it's the real deal I just choke. I didn't even get any sleep last night. I'm really depressed right now.

jmoney2323

Postby jmoney2323 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:00 pm

It just really pisses me off how I go back and re-take the October test (I dont remember any of the questions when Im taking it) and everything is so damn easy. I bet I'll look back on this test and see that is was hella easy too...

FML

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:01 pm

dec_failure wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to write the LSAT a 5th time in a 2 year window? I'm just really disappointed in myself. Today was the fourth time I've written the LSAT. Sadly though this is the 5th LSAT I've tehnically been scheduled to write (on my file I have a cancel, 2 mediocre scores, an absence, and now a soon to be Dec result. So I only have two real scores on my file, with the future dec result as a soon to be third score.. fml).

It's sad because I prepped for 3 months religiously and under strict timed conditions. I thought I did everything right. I was prepping at 161-170 during my PTs. Today I don't know what happened. I just panicked and I have no idea how well I did. I guessed on a bunch of questions in the comparative passage, guessed on a bunch of questions on the 2nd and 3rd game, and I already know I got several LR questions wrong. I actually think I did worse than my previous attempt, which was only a shameful 157. Didn't anyone just feel like this test was honestly one of the hardest PTs they've ever done? Maybe it's not. It could just be that I have too much stress and anxiety. When I do a PT in the comfort of my own home I can obtain the score I'm hoping for, but when it's the real deal I just choke. I didn't even get any sleep last night. I'm really depressed right now.

I think the best thing to do at this point is chill, take a few days off. It isn't the end of the world. Easier said than done right now, but I'm sure in 10-20 years, this'll be pretty funny - so what if you bombed a test - maybe it is a good thing in the long run.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”