PT 8, LG 1, Q#4........ Weird Challenge........ Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lakers3peat

Bronze

PT 8, LG 1, Q#4........ Weird Challenge........

Post by lakers3peat » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:47 pm

This is game that I have already seen while doing individual practice questions so I was a little surprised when I got 2 off while taking an ancient practice test. 1 of them was from a careless mistake but the 2nd one(which is what I'm asking about) is something I can't wrap my finger around exactly and I am not one to claim test writer error but I swear this makes no sense ha...

Sequencing game--It is about the gymnastics instructor who planning weekly schedule, 5 days, except on one of the 5 days there are consecutive sessions

So I setup as such

M:_____|
Tu: _____
W:______|
Th: I
F: ______

I use the _____| to note that there is no possibility for a second slot as is defined in rule #4

The other rules are simple

H > Z
I is on thursday(indicated in diagram)
KO block or OK block(K has to come day before or day after O) but they CANNOT be on the same day in consecutive sessions.

The question/answer that has me kind of confused is #4. It asks, scheduling Z on which day determines where U must be scheduled?

The correct answer is (D) Thursday, which I well aware of after having diagrammed

___|
_____
_____
I Z|
U|

Basically, you know that the KO block has to come M/T or T/W; and H has to fill the last spot so H > Z.

However, when I was doing this question, i was just going down the list and doing hypothetical which landed me on B(tuesday) after which I selected the answer and moved on...

M:_____|
Tu: Z
W: ______|

Putting Z on Tuesday leaves two options(one of which isn't even compatible with the rules):

H comes on monday because it has to be before Z and putting it on Tuesday(as I will show below) makes it impossible for their to be a correct situation.

M:H|
Tu: Z

in which case K/O would have to be on T/W

or as such

M:H|
Tu: ZK/O
W: O/K|
F: U

But regardless, putting Z on Tuesday, dictates that U has to go on Friday if the rules are to be compatible with each other??
Unless I am blind as a bat and am missing a scenario where U doesn't necessarily have to go on Friday, it seems to me that putting Z on tuesday means that U has to go on Friday.

The only other option if Z is put on Tuesday would have H being the earlier session on Tuesday but that doesn't work with the rest of the rules?

M:|
Tu: HZ

Here there would be no spot to be the K/O block.

So while I realize that putting Z on thursday means that U has to go on friday, it is the same situation if Z is put on Tuesday?

If anybody can do this game/explain what is going on here, I would greatly appreciate it. If you don't have the game and still want to give a shot PM me, if my above isn't enough to paint the picture.

Cambridge LSAT

Bronze

Re: PT 8, LG 1, Q#4........ Weird Challenge........

Post by Cambridge LSAT » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:33 pm

U can also be scheduled for Wednesday, as in the following scenario:

lakers3peat

Bronze

Re: PT 8, LG 1, Q#4........ Weird Challenge........

Post by lakers3peat » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:41 am

lakers3peat wrote:Unless I am blind as a bat and am missing a scenario where U doesn't necessarily have to go on Friday
Wow... Haha thank you cambridge LSAT!

edit: P.S. I bought PT 8 from your website so double thank you! :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”