Interesting LR strategy - Anyone else reaping benefits? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
AshtonB

New

Interesting LR strategy - Anyone else reaping benefits?

Post by AshtonB » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:57 am

I saw someone reference this strategy on a thread. Basically, you complete the first 10 questions in order, then move onto the last questions of the section and work backwards until completion. I've been doing this lately, and my results have improved. I don't know whether it's a fluke, but so far I feel like it's been saving me time and mental stamina.

You can do this during the actual test, right? No one's gonna care if you flip a few pages ahead?

logicalprep

New

Re: Interesting LR strategy - Anyone else reaping benefits?

Post by logicalprep » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:05 am

I've actually tried it. I ended up not liking it because it turned bubbling into a crazy little side game, where you're trying viciously hard not to skip a line and lose a ton of points to (what I call, anyhow) a bubbling group shift.

Flaws involving small shifts are hard enough without having to worry about making small shift errors myself. :?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:21 am

I experimented with it briefly leading up to Oct10. I felt it worked depending on the makeup of the LR section itself, but didnt give much of a net gain. I would say that while the 15sish questions might be tricky, some of the 20-25 are doozies because of their length. Like the previous poster said, it also involves a huge risk of misbubble + just making you think more = more stress.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 am

Dont waste your time. This wont work on the most recent tests. LSAC's gotten cuter. They've started inserting really tough questions early on. 1-10 are no longer gimmes. Just work through the sections in sequential order. Now, if you want to skip a question or two go ahead, but dont skip an entire page or two. It probably wont help.

Good luck!

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:08 am

My LR timing has been bad, Buy know i usually know where my misses happen. So tomorrow imma try this.

Do 1-14
Then skip to 23-25
Then do 15-22(most of my missed occur here, so If i'm out of time then I would've lost points here anyways..

i'll let u know how it works.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AshtonB

New

Post by AshtonB » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:05 am

gdane5 wrote:Dont waste your time. This wont work on the most recent tests. LSAC's gotten cuter. They've started inserting really tough questions early on. 1-10 are no longer gimmes. Just work through the sections in sequential order. Now, if you want to skip a question or two go ahead, but dont skip an entire page or two. It probably wont help.

Good luck!
For what it's worth, I tried this strategy on PT61 and it yielded some of the best results I've had on a post-50 PT. And the LR sections of PT61 were not noticeably easier than those of recent tests.

I did notice that some of the more challenging questions were placed early/earlier on, though, which is annoying.

Taiwont

New

Post by Taiwont » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:31 pm

This strategy is dangerous at best. Whoever recommended it clearly has not studied the newer tests. What works for me is pacing myself to do the first 15 questions within 15 minutes, skipping the 1-2 questions that slow me down. Then, I have a full 20 minutes for the remaining questions.

You are going to have to answer the hard questions eventually. The key is pacing. A magical question-answering strategy will not solve your pacing problems; practice will.

Taiwont

New

Post by Taiwont » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:33 pm

gdane5 wrote:Dont waste your time. This wont work on the most recent tests. LSAC's gotten cuter. They've started inserting really tough questions early on. 1-10 are no longer gimmes. Just work through the sections in sequential order. Now, if you want to skip a question or two go ahead, but dont skip an entire page or two. It probably wont help.

Good luck!
Exactly. And with pressure on the real thing, this strategy will go out the window quickly and will actually probably confuse you. Hell, it might even lead to misbubbling.

benito

Bronze

Post by benito » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:12 am

I dont understand these strategies at all, isn't the goal to try and answer all the questions right anyway? I think most people that I have time trouble on LR spend too much time debating two answer choices on any one question. Especially since most of the time you'll end up sticking with what you would have in the first place without all the wasted time. Don't check and double check every easy question. If you've really put in the work and are prepared you should trust your skills. For the 3 or 4 really tough ones which are increasingly being spread out throughout the test even the first ten, you circle them and come back if you have time. Once you've drilled a million of things you can guess what the wrong answer choices will be before you even read them, LR is crushable!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”