What Kind of jobs do the tls'er hold while studying for LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gambelda

Bronze

Re: What Kind of jobs do the tls'er hold while studying for LSAT

Post by gambelda » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:23 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:During my prep I had a full-time internship at a government contractor's office in Arlington.
Are you still in the Arlington area? I currently live there off Columbia Pike and would kill to find someone who would be willing to help me study. I'm currently paying 20$/hr for a georgetown law student who scored a 178 to drop an hour each weekend on me. Could always use more help.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:50 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
JazzOne wrote:LSAT instructor. Perfect job for LSAT prep.
What LSAT score do you need for that kind of job?
I have no idea actually. I lateraled into LSAT from MCAT.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 am

Ginj wrote:Legal Assistant at BigLaw firm. I study at work because when people see my LSAT books, they think it's adorable that I'm ambitious and want to be a big ole lawyer someday.
I don't know what kind of market you're in and I don't know if "Legal Assistant" means secretary or paralegal at your firm, but paralegaling while I studied for the LSAT killed my score. I landed a case that put me working 100 hour work weeks for the six weeks before the test and the firm thought they were being very accommodating by letting me leave work at 5pm Friday, not work the weekend, and have Monday off to take the test. This had happened once before and I had postponed the test and did not want to postpone again.

Some firms are nice about working with paralegals to let them prep for law school admissions and others are not. It can be really great, but it can also eat your hours. My botched LSAT lead me to seek work in a less demanding market where I could get better pay and have better hours. Now I'm enjoying the salary and the work so much that I might not make it to law school.

I'm pretty happy how things have worked out for me, but it is a bit of a cautionary tale -- working in biglaw can be great or miserable depending on the market, the office and your goals.

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:20 am

Kabuo wrote:It's 171 for Testmasters and 172 for Powerscore. I sent out apps minutes after I got my score. I HATE retail.
It's 173 for Powerscore.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:44 pm

I just applied on Sunday and PS said it wanted the 99th% or a 172 for tests in the last 5 years. 172 is currently the bottom of the 99th.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:46 pm

gambelda wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:During my prep I had a full-time internship at a government contractor's office in Arlington.
Are you still in the Arlington area? I currently live there off Columbia Pike and would kill to find someone who would be willing to help me study. I'm currently paying 20$/hr for a georgetown law student who scored a 178 to drop an hour each weekend on me. Could always use more help.
Im back in DC now. But I dont think you want my 167 help, lol. Im just trying to get into 170+ territory by December

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Kabuo wrote:I just applied on Sunday and PS said it wanted the 99th% or a 172 for tests in the last 5 years. 172 is currently the bottom of the 99th.
172 is 98.6%.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:05 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
Kabuo wrote:I just applied on Sunday and PS said it wanted the 99th% or a 172 for tests in the last 5 years. 172 is currently the bottom of the 99th.
172 is 98.6%.
I've heard that test prep companies will round it off.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

JazzOne wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
172 is 98.6%.
I've heard that test prep companies will round it off.
LSAC rounds up, too. But I'm a nitpicker (I got a 172).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:16 pm

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/content_ ... ructor.cfm

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Grond wrote:

Wow, I was just at that site Sunday and I could have sworn it said 172, or else I wouldn't have applied obviously. Well, that sucks. I assume I won't be getting the job then.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Grond wrote:

Wow, I was just at that site Sunday and I could have sworn it said 172, or else I wouldn't have applied obviously. Well, that sucks. I assume I won't be getting the job then.
I guess I was wrong too.

Punisha20

Bronze

Post by Punisha20 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm interning at my county prosecutors office.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:47 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
Grond wrote:

I guess I was wrong too.
I may have sent DK an email this morning. Sorry. :( It's been 173 for a while, for some reason that part of the website didn't get updated.

groberts

New

Post by groberts » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Professional writer. Three kids seven, four, and four months. I squeeze in prep whenever I possibly can. Finding big chunks of time to take full tests will be my biggest challenge.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”