Will schools review your application with a pending retake?

NorCalBruin

Will schools review your application with a pending retake?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:21 am

I am applying EA to Cornell and Texas, and probably EDing to UCLA tomorrow.

Will those schools still review my application and render a decision if I register for the december lsat?
Will they even know i'm registered if I register after my file goes complete?

Thanks

NorCalBruin

Re: Will schools review your application with a pending retake?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:42 am

bump.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 am

I don't think any of us really know the answer. Why don't you call the schools and ask what their policy is?

danicalifornia

Postby danicalifornia » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:42 am

I called, and from what I understand, if you don't mark that you are planning to retake it, they won't know. Once you retake the test, LSAC will automatically send them your updated score though.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:48 am

danicalifornia wrote:I called, and from what I understand, if you don't mark that you are planning to retake it, they won't know. Once you retake the test, LSAC will automatically send them your updated score though.

If you want them to go ahead and process you with your current score, they will. You have to tell them to hold your application pending the release of later scores if that is what you want. I send out all of my emails doing just that this morning.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:58 am

I just called Michigan, and they said that they won't hold off reviewing applications if you already have a valid LSAT score, but they will take into consideration the fact that you are retaking and they will automatically receive the new score from LSAC. If you get outright rejected, a new LSAT score would prompt them to review your application, provided that your improvement is significant enough.

I don't know if this is standard practice for most law schools, but if it is, it seems that if you're at a WL or better, you don't have much to lose by sending your app as soon as possible. Worst case scenario is that you get waitlisted and get a second-look with a hopefully higher LSAT. Best case scenario is that you get in and render that re-take moot (unless they can rescind acceptances based on a worse re-take, which I doubt they can do).

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:22 pm

kpuc wrote:I just called Michigan, and they said that they won't hold off reviewing applications if you already have a valid LSAT score, but they will take into consideration the fact that you are retaking and they will automatically receive the new score from LSAC. If you get outright rejected, a new LSAT score would prompt them to review your application, provided that your improvement is significant enough.

I don't know if this is standard practice for most law schools, but if it is, it seems that if you're at a WL or better, you don't have much to lose by sending your app as soon as possible. Worst case scenario is that you get waitlisted and get a second-look with a hopefully higher LSAT. Best case scenario is that you get in and render that re-take moot (unless they can rescind acceptances based on a worse re-take, which I doubt they can do).

can you not get scholarship money based on a retake?

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:53 pm

So do you have to notify them you plan on re-taking? I already sent my apps in NOT planning on doing a re-take, so I didn't check the box asking if I was. A couple weeks later, I am starting to think I should re-take. I have signed up for the Dec. LSAT, but do not want to inform the schools that I have just in case I decide to change my mind and NOT re-take it (i.e I end up getting accepted to the school I ED to). They are only made aware of my intent to re-take when the actual scores are sent out, correct? The LSAC doesn't send them a list of "registered" takers?

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:07 pm

I just emailed Wisconsin about this issue and surprisingly the answer is that they must hold my app until they get my december score. I'm actually already at their median so I have a good chance of getting in, but then the adcom person said that submitting in dec is not a worry at all because tons of people do so. well I guess I'll follow her advice then.

On the other hand, UC Davis said that you must decide whether or not you want one score or both scores to be considered, but they cannot review the application twice.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:38 pm

So as long as you apply and go complete before registering for a retake they won't know? I thought LSAC informed them somehow?

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:42 pm

luckyme wrote:
kpuc wrote:I just called Michigan, and they said that they won't hold off reviewing applications if you already have a valid LSAT score, but they will take into consideration the fact that you are retaking and they will automatically receive the new score from LSAC. If you get outright rejected, a new LSAT score would prompt them to review your application, provided that your improvement is significant enough.

that's a really good question.... I wonder if someone can figure that out and get back to us all

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 pm

I emailed 3 schools I am considering, will let you know what they say about Dec. retake after gone complete and if you have to notify them...

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:14 pm

luckyme wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can get scholarship on re-takes. I forgot on which law school's website I read this on (it was either Michigan or Berkeley), but it asked about whether or not one could take the June LSAT to increase scholarship money. The answer was no, since by then, most of the scholarship money had been given out. So I think it's safe to say that Dec and Feb LSAT scores could be used to increase chances of scholarship money.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I emailed 3 schools I am considering, will let you know what they say about Dec. retake after gone complete and if you have to notify them...

Bumping this thread up -- did you get a response?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:48 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:I emailed 3 schools I am considering, will let you know what they say about Dec. retake after gone complete and if you have to notify them...

Bumping this thread up -- did you get a response?

1 never responded (wow) and UF and FSU said you could notify them of a retake. I'm sure it varies from school to school.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”