What am I doing wrong? - Need some serious help. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: What am I doing wrong? - Need some serious help.

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Also, and take this for what its worth, I think half the problem is you are working 60 hours a week. I get that this is life, and you make due, but I know that I would have limited mental bandwidth if that was my schedule. Is there anything you can do to change that? I mean, if you are committed to getting out of that field why work to the bone?
BTW, I don't buy into this. I worked 30 hours a week and went to school full time while I was studying. For me, that is at least 60 hours a week scheduled there. Let alone working out, free time, etc. You can definitely do it and not have to change your work schedule if you are committed.

penguin

New

Post by penguin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:21 pm

gambelda wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote: Also, and take this for what its worth, I think half the problem is you are working 60 hours a week. I get that this is life, and you make due, but I know that I would have limited mental bandwidth if that was my schedule. Is there anything you can do to change that? I mean, if you are committed to getting out of that field why work to the bone?
Right, so I'm committed to getting out of the field because I'm generally just bored out of my mind. Because I'm bored, my motivation is extremely limited on the job. I work 57 hours a week because I have to. I'm not productive at all in my mind. It's not this lack of productvity that causes me to work long hours. We are looked down upon unless the client sees us working 7:30-7:30 and I cant pull out an LSAT book in front of clients.

I will say that most days I want to unwind rather than study and that could be an issue. I cannot quit this job because I have no other prospects at this time, can't really spend a month applying to another job. Plus, I can't easily quit and hope I get the score I need because if I don't then I have to wait longer periods of time to retake while paying health insurance, rent etc. out of my own pocket. It's hard to leave a job as good as mine and as high paying when you're only 23. Also, I believe it would hurt my resume if my first major work experience is less than a year long (would be 1.5 years by the time of starting school)
So you are only 23... Well even though you cannot make it to law school next year, you still have a plently of time.

Like others said, although you are working 57 hours a week, you can still MAKE time to study. I created flash cards with LR problems I got wrong and carry around with me so that I can look at them whenever I have time (lunch time, breaks, waiting for a traffic light, on a bus/train etc.) I work 40 hours a week and have family obligations as a married person and I'm lucky if I could pull 3 hours every night to study (probably on average, 2.5 hours a day now). I take off on weekend because I am afraid of burnout (I got a burnout after I was studying about 25 hours a week on top of working 40 hours). I don't like my job either but it pays the bills. I need this job to earn money for a law school too. And possibly, I need recommendation letters to law schools from my big bosses. :lol:

Use your time wisely and nothing is impossible if you work hard enough. Good luck.

MysticalWheel

Bronze

Post by MysticalWheel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:36 am

Adjudicator wrote:Recent LR and RC are just more vicious.
Why do people keep saying this? Am I the only one who had more difficulty on 40-50 than 51-60? I'm almost starting to second guess myself!

MW

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:53 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Recent LR and RC are just more vicious.
Why do people keep saying this? Am I the only one who had more difficulty on 40-50 than 51-60? I'm almost starting to second guess myself!

MW
Hard to tell, I don't remember really but RC has been harder, LR has not necessarily been harder just different.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:59 pm

I agree with some other posters that studying for the LSAT is really a time management thing.

I wake up early 7 AM everyday and go to bed at 1 so I can fit in extra hours to study. It sucks, but it's what you have to do.

I rip out problems I miss and post them on my steering wheel and I do one problem when I get in and out of my car. Also I spend the 5-10 minutes in between class repeating a logic game.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”