30 Minute Sections?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kkklick

Silver

Re: 30 Minute Sections?

Postby kkklick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:50 am

niederbomb wrote:Because, if I do have to retake, I will already have been studying for three weeks prior to receiving the score and deciding I definitely need to retake.

I only got through 19/22 LG on the real thing, rushed through the Bach passage in 8 minutes, and had erasure problems at the end of one of the LR sections, so it's highly possible I will be rewriting the d*mn*d thing.

In fact, I started over today with the LG's on PT's 1 and 2--and only got through 2.5 games each time.

1. LG are way different than the early PT's much harder before, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.
2. I wouldn't exactly call spending 8 minutes on an RC passage rushing, you're allowed 8:45 per passage to finish in 35 minutes.
3. 19/22, there were 23 questions by the way, but still not bad.

I doubt I will be re-writing, but if I do I'll be starting Nov 1st and not a day before.

niederbomb

Silver

Postby niederbomb » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:03 pm

3. 19/22, there were 23 questions by the way, but still not bad.

Not on my test. :wink:

moxiepostulate

Bronze

Postby moxiepostulate » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Time (aka 2wks or so) will tell how much it helped, but for me the difference of re-training PTs under 30 minute conditions really helped with the stress level on test day.

I had always finished in about 33 minutes, but for the June test I wound up guessing on several sections, and having not been used to rushing it threw off my mojo bigtime. This october, I killed the first LR and that set the tone for the rest of the test. Every section had a tiny cushion which was really nice. I didn't ever find the few questions I know I got wrong, but reviewing a few questions I knew I had gotten right kept the confidence level high- Why not?

I'd agree that accuracy has to come first, but once you've got your untimed 180 under your belt and you're scoring in the 170 range timed, it's probably a good idea to get rid of the extraneous hemming and hawing as others posters have pointed out. Additionally, I think there's some value to giving yourself a few minutes of checking questions and re-group time on test day. I felt like I could restart each new section with a clean slate (and or pee if I absolutely needed to) because I'd had time to look over my work and bring it back down a notch.

It's the one big thing I did differently between June and October, and it's the reason why I am happily not canceling my score this time around. No matter what I get, I think it's a wise way to prep yourself. Probably the best thing I've taken away from these boards so far.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�