Cancel Murphy's LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
delusional

Silver

Cancel Murphy's LSAT?

Post by delusional » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:48 pm

Okay, so I've been PTing in the 172-178 range for the last month. I probably should have pushed myself even harder than I did, but I didn't, and my reasoning was that EVERYTHING would have to go wrong for me to not get in the low 170's, i.e. I'd have to have a miserable LG AND RC, as well as a few stupid LR mistakes. Well, Murphy was in full force when I took the LSAT. Honestly, I have no real excuse. I just blew it on a logic game, the key to which I figured out as we started the next section. Anyway, then we got a really tough passage in RC as well. I ended up not finishing RC and LG and at the end of the day, that was nine questions. My dream had been Columbia or Penn (my GPA is 3.85+), but without an utterly insane curve, i can't really conceive of a mark better than a 169-ish.

Like everyone else, my question is if I should cancel. Pros: Both Columbia and Penn claim to average two scores, and to more or less ignore cancellations. Cons - a 168 is a 168, whereas a cancellation might appear to admissions people as a potential 140. (Although that would fly directly in the face of what they claim).

Also, I know this is stupid, but I've been busting major ass to get ready for this, and in a way, I'd almost rather come home with a 165 than with nothing. And if I'm not going to get into a T1 school, the 165 will do fine for Rutgers, and this test could also be a 169, which should work for Fordham. Honestly, i think that I have to take it again anyway, and once that's true, I'm better served cancelling than not. Worst case scenario would be ANOTHER Murphy's LSAT, and even then, a 165 would be enough for my lower option schools.

Anyway, any insight is welcome. (Those of you who look through old posts to say "I told you so... Aaiiight, ya got me!)

bk1

Diamond

Re: Cancel Murphy's LSAT?

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Waiting till next cycle is not the end of the world.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Write it again, no need to cancel. Writing a second time is easier because theres relatively no nerves. However if you cancel, you will be right back where you started, depending on a one shot only chance to get the score you want. Psycologically a big difference.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:22 pm

kkklick wrote:Write it again, no need to cancel. Writing a second time is easier because theres relatively no nerves. However if you cancel, you will be right back where you started, depending on a one shot only chance to get the score you want. Psycologically a big difference.
This is not necessarily true. I'd even hazard to guess that is false most of the time for most people.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:37 pm

bk187 wrote:
kkklick wrote:Write it again, no need to cancel. Writing a second time is easier because theres relatively no nerves. However if you cancel, you will be right back where you started, depending on a one shot only chance to get the score you want. Psycologically a big difference.
This is not necessarily true. I'd even hazard to guess that is false most of the time for most people.
Me personally, knowing I had a good score in the bank already, was free to approach this test with no pressure. I can confidently say that at least the answers I misinterpreted or got wrong were my own doing, with no interference from stress or panic. A few questions on this test threw me off, if it happened in June I would have had a panic attack. Everyone is different, so OP, do what YOU want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:39 pm

kkklick wrote: Me personally, knowing I had a good score in the bank already, was free to approach this test with no pressure. I can confidently say that at least the answers I misinterpreted or got wrong were my own doing, with no interference from stress or panic. A few questions on this test threw me off, if it happened in June I would have had a panic attack. Everyone is different, so OP, do what YOU want.
The thing is a 168 isn't a good score for someone who is aiming at the T14. I also base this off my personal experience and the sheer number of retakers who freak out on TLS.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Hmm... I would say cancel. Guessing on 9 questions would have to mean that everything else would have to go near perfect for you to break 170. I had to guess on 7 questions as well on last LSAT and the only reason I didn't cancel is because I already had a decent score in the bank, but were I in your shoes I would cancel for sure.

Study real hard for December and kill it.

jfb

Bronze

Post by jfb » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:09 pm

bk187 wrote:
I took it a second time in October and felt wayy more pressure to do well due to the risk of a similar or (god forbid) lower score reenforcing that that score is what I am capable of. I feel like two 168s taken several months apart is a pretty strong indication that you are a 168er. Don't know, but thats how I felt about it. There was also added pressure due to my strong desire not to have to take it a third time - didn't really feel that way the first time through. If I knew I did well below my ability the first time thorough I probably would have canceled.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:38 pm

Honestly, I'm through with nerves - or at least a 168 wouldn't help them. I know this seems conceited from a guy who just blew the test, but I can't imagine doing any worse than i already did. Worse comes to worst, I'll have a December 168 and a cancellation.

I think what i really need to know before deciding is this: Should I assume that the PTs were mistaken, and I'm actually a 168er, or is it reasonable and/or common for people to get an anomalous score for no reason, and then with a little fine tuning, go back to getting much higher scores, similar to PTs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

policestate1234

New

Post by policestate1234 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:44 pm

delusional wrote:
Honestly, I'm through with nerves - or at least a 168 wouldn't help them. I know this seems conceited from a guy who just blew the test, but I can't imagine doing any worse than i already did. Worse comes to worst, I'll have a December 168 and a cancellation.

I think what i really need to know before deciding is this: Should I assume that the PTs were mistaken, and I'm actually a 168er, or is it reasonable and/or common for people to get an anomalous score for no reason, and then with a little fine tuning, go back to getting much higher scores, similar to PTs?
brah, if you can't do any worse then cancel and retake. You shouldn't assume that the PTs were mistaken but some people just don't do well under pressure.

That being said, how hard are you really going to try this second time around?

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 pm

policestate1234 wrote:
delusional wrote:

brah, if you can't do any worse then cancel and retake. You shouldn't assume that the PTs were mistaken but some people just don't do well under pressure.

That being said, how hard are you really going to try this second time around?
I wish i could say that I didn't really apply myself, but now I'll buckle down. Unfortunately, I've already been killing myself, with great success - in practice.

In retrospect, I mastered the earlier tests, but kind of ran out of steam before I got to the recent tests, and it showed especially in the LG. The new ones are more uniform, so I figured they'd be easier, but I still should have reviewed them more and gotten more comfortable with them - the one I blew was a classic example of the newer grouping games. Also, I should probably have done what some recommend - taking the PTs in larger doses than the test will ever present. Although I'd do full tests without a break, I never did them without eating lunch.

Anyway, duz y'allz know people who canceled a rotten attempt with no great excuse, and went on to kill on the next administration?

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Don't cancel. Apply, then take in December and inform your schools of the score change.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:22 pm

On the one hand I would say cancel, on the other hand I would say do not cancel. /thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

speedyj88

Bronze

Post by speedyj88 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 pm

FWIW, I completely misread a rule on the 4th game on the june exam, and by the time I got around to fixing it I didn't have time to do anything and ended up getting every question on that last game wrong (and I knew at the time that I blew the entire last game), that was -6 right there on a section that I always banked on getting -0. I still somehow ended up with a 170. Yes, it was a gracious curve but you never know what'll happen.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:27 pm

naterj wrote:On the one hand I would say cancel, on the other hand I would say do not cancel. /thread.
What, we're not allowed to amass our own 1134 posts?

Deep Trench

New

Post by Deep Trench » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:02 pm

Cancel. Like you said, you will do no worse than how you did on this test. Your PT's are not mistaken. You just need to learn to perform well under pressure, especially the LG section.

I was in a similar situation in June. I thought LG was my best section going in. However, I rushed, misread rules, did not make important inferences, and made a complete mess under pressure. I canceled my score on the spot and studied four more months for the last week's test. It is too premature to say that I went on to kill the test, but I feel confident enough to keep the score this time.

Not everyone responds the same way under pressure, but I don't think doing the PT under more strenuous situation will help you (like testing without eating lunch). I have learned that I tend to rush when I feel pressure. For me, the key to counteract this tendency was to consciously slow down and be more methodical. For LG, this means making sure that I correctly understand the rules and creating more detailed templates than what I think is necessary. The process of creating the templates makes me realize the key inferences, and having the detailed templates also takes some pressure off me when I attack the questions. It is like having a teleprompter in front of you when you have to give a speech to a large audience. For RC, I fight the urge to read the passage too quickly and try to maintain my regular reading speed. For LR, rushing actually helps me with the speed so I do not fight it too much.

Again, my strategy may not be the right one for you, but you have to understand how you respond under pressure and find a way to deal with it.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:10 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't cancel if the worst you think you did is a 169 or something. I think canceling would put a lot of unnecessary stress on yourself to perform well and you've already pretty much admitted that you don't do well under stress. I know a lot of people who hit low 170's high 160's the first time and then came back for a retake and killed it.

I scored 167 in June and thought I should have canceled. Last Saturday I did a retake and the testing conditions were terrible, I totally bombed and now I'm happy I didn't cancel my first score because at least I have a score to apply with this cycle. Either way, good luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”