Atlas vs PS

typ3

Atlas vs PS

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:07 pm

I few have mentioned on other threads that powerscore is good for PT'ing in the 150's to 160's and that Atlas is a better for 170+

Anyone have any first hand experience? I'm not looking to shell out too much more money, but I've done pscore a few times and I don't feel it's a good send for LR or RC. I browsed Atlas's LR was impressed and someone made note that Atlas RC helped them make the jump from 168/169 to 174+. Not sure if I want to spend the extra $ before December's test.

rso11

Re: Atlas vs PS

Postby rso11 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:22 pm

I actually just signed up for their online course. I self-studied w/ PS but it didn't work all that well for me. I did some poking around the various online courses (PS, Atlas, and Blue Print...stay away from PR and Kaplan) and liked Atlas best. They have a demo class you can listen to; PS does as well and I def liked Atlas better. It is pretty expensive, but if it gets me the score I want, it'll be totally worth it.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:27 pm

rso11 wrote:I actually just signed up for their online course. I self-studied w/ PS but it didn't work all that well for me. I did some poking around the various online courses (PS, Atlas, and Blue Print...stay away from PR and Kaplan) and liked Atlas best. They have a demo class you can listen to; PS does as well and I def liked Atlas better. It is pretty expensive, but if it gets me the score I want, it'll be totally worth it.

I was thinking about just their LR/RC guides. I'm not looking to do a full course.. but for 625 I can manage. It is nice that you get 2 hours of free tutoring included.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:43 pm

I studied since Feb. with all three powerscore bibles and took tests 1-35. I was in the 165 range. I enrolled in the atlas online course in November and by the end I was consistently scoring in the 175 range. I strongly believe that Atlas is better than PS in many facets.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:46 pm

How would the Atlas online course work with a 13-hour time zone difference?

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:27 pm

niederbomb wrote:How would the Atlas online course work with a 13-hour time zone difference?

13-hour difference from what?

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:49 pm

niederbomb wrote:

The USA. :wink:

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:I studied since Feb. with all three powerscore bibles and took tests 1-35. I was in the 165 range. I enrolled in the atlas online course in November and by the end I was consistently scoring in the 175 range. I strongly believe that Atlas is better than PS in many facets.

Would it be worth it to do the self study before December? I'm a retake from June. I've been rolling about 125 questions a day out of Kaplan mast then going to sections and finally PT's.

I'm not interested in a full live course, unless that is different from the self study complete with recordings of prior classes.

Just judging from the materials the 3 books included are equivalent to Pscores bibles, then the course material covers the 20 most recent PT's?

I'm stuck in the 166-167 plateau though. 161 diagnostic

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:06 am

No.

It's the person not the prepcourse that determines the score...

You can take the guy scoring 155 after 2 months of prep in kaplan...throw him into an atlas course...he won't be getting a 175.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:37 pm

typ3 wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:I studied since Feb. with all three powerscore bibles and took tests 1-35. I was in the 165 range. I enrolled in the atlas online course in November and by the end I was consistently scoring in the 175 range. I strongly believe that Atlas is better than PS in many facets.

I'm not interested in a full live course, unless that is different from the self study complete with recordings of prior classes.

Just judging from the materials the 3 books included are equivalent to Pscores bibles, then the course material covers the 20 most recent PT's?
For the full course, we provide PT29 - 60 (except for 39) and for the complete self-study (in which we give you recordings of classes and other online resources), to keep it affordable we provide a bit fewer: PT29 - 50 (you can buy the last 10 PTs at cost if you like). Full course also include half-hour tutoring sessions each week, while self-study only includes one session, though you can get more.

Note, we're now Manhattan LSAT, though all old URLs will still work fine.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:58 pm

niederbomb wrote:
niederbomb wrote:

What part?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:02 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
niederbomb wrote:

What part?

Unless he's in Mongolia or Siberia, East Coast is likely, since I believe Korea and Japan are GMT +8 during DST.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:11 pm

incompetentia wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
niederbomb wrote:

What part?

Unless he's in Mongolia or Siberia, East Coast is likely, since I believe Korea and Japan are GMT +8 during DST.

GMT+9 year round. Korea and Japan don't do DST.

And the answer is that your class time will be at some absurd hour like, 2 in the morning.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:11 pm

tazmolover wrote:No.

It's the person not the prepcourse that determines the score...

You can take the guy scoring 155 after 2 months of prep in kaplan...throw him into an atlas course...he won't be getting a 175.

I'd like to you to demonstrate this, taxmolover. Because my experience directly contradicts this. I scored a 145 on my pre-prep diagnostic. Afterward, I studied with Powerscore starting February of this year. I had earned an occasional 175, 176, or 177, but about two-thirds of my scores were hovering around the 165 mark. After months and months of studying 4-8 hours per day I took an online atlas course, completely against the recommendations of people like yourself on TLS, and my scores were averaging 175 by test time. I am nigh certain that I just scored a 180 on Oct. 9 test...and I am positive that I would not have done so if I had taken this forum's advice and bowed down to the powerscore god.
Last edited by longdaysjourney on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:13 pm

typ3 wrote:Would it be worth it to do the self study before December?
IMHO, yes.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:15 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
Quote:
niederbomb wrote:

The USA.

What part?

Manhattan. :?

Yes, Manchuria is near both to Siberia and Mongolia. I like cold weather and snow, but I don't like attending virtual classes at 2 a.m., so I guess I'll just have to get the books.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Last edited by longdaysjourney on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:17 pm

niederbomb wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
Quote:
niederbomb wrote:

The USA.

What part?

Manhattan. :?

Yes, Manchuria is near both to Siberia and Mongolia. I like cold weather and snow, but I don't like attending virtual classes at 2 a.m., so I guess I'll just have to get the books.

I'm in Korea and my virtual class is 12-3, 1-4 once winter time kicks in stateside.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
typ3 wrote:

For the full course, we provide PT29 - 60 (except for 39) and for the complete self-study (in which we give you recordings of classes and other online resources), to keep it affordable we provide a bit fewer: PT29 - 50 (you can buy the last 10 PTs at cost if you like). Full course also include half-hour tutoring sessions each week, while self-study only includes one session, though you can get more.

On your site it says that self study premium includes 4 1/2 hour private tutoring sessions, the same is also said in your free demo class provided.

You don't allow premium self study to upgrade to a class later correct?

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

typ3 wrote:
Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
typ3 wrote:

On your site it says that self study premium includes 4 1/2 hour private tutoring sessions, the same is also said in your free demo class provided.

You don't allow premium self study to upgrade to a class later correct?
Yes, premium gets 4 tutoring sessions. And you can upgrade to a class later and just pay the difference. I think that's a smart option if you're on the fence.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:39 pm

how does the private tutoring with the self study work? is it strictly online or if I live in a city where there are classes can I get it in person?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:51 pm

hey ldj

did you do one of the self study courses? I took the october and cancelled my score. I did the LGB and it really helped my LG (I was only missing like 4 in PTs) but didn't have any strategy for LR or RC. I do well usually in one LR section but not great in the other (like -2/-6) and RC was super easy for me until I got to the tests in the 50's and then I started getting bitch slapped. Anyways it sounds like you prepped a bunch before taking the atlas course so I'm wondering if the recorded classes were at all useful. I'm also wondering if the tutoring online was as valuable as in person tutoring. Haha basically I guess I'm just asking for someone else who also prepped before going atlas is it really worth like $650 or should I just grab their books for like $90?

Thanks a ton!

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:44 am

FlanAl wrote:how does the private tutoring with the self study work? is it strictly online or if I live in a city where there are classes can I get it in person?

The private tutoring is generally online (interactive platform), but we probably could work out something if you're in one of our locations. As to your second question to ldj, I would suggest you not yet buy the premium self-study. Start by buying the books alone, or the complete self-study, or the books and the recordings (if you already have all the LSATs, this is a good option). If you buy a book, you gain access to the recording of one class, and that should give you a sense of whether the recordings add a lot more for you (most people feel they do, but some do fine with just books). Similarly, if you buy the complete self-study, along with the books and recordings, you'll also get one tutoring session,and then you could purchase more if that proves useful. At any stage, you can always "upgrade", even to a class, but there's no harm in starting with the least invasive and then seeing if it does the trick. Save your money for law school if you can!

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:39 pm

I have used PS for my prep. L-Matt looks good too. I know that PS is older and tons of people have had success with them. However, I have heard it said that L-Matt deals with more current problem types. I think the LRB and maybe the LGB should be due for a re-make pretty soon. The bibles are still the best thing I have seen, but again, I have not studied extensively with Manhattan's stuff.

As an aside, its not like the bibles are totally out dated or something. They still work great for people. I also think that all this talk about how older questions are useless is a bit overblown. You can still learn from older questions. By all means, study the newer tests more if you are crunched for time. Also, some games and question types that are on old lsats obviously don't appear any more. But if you have worked through the newer tests, the old ones will do for practice. They have a wealth of questions that are useful to you. Its not like it will hurt your score by practicing them. I went over all the old LSATS because I ran out of new tests. It only helped my score. Just be realistic about what you are likely to see on test day. The old tests are still pretty much the same test, with a few weird ass questions and logic games thrown in.

If I were you I would try both and stick with what works for you. If you study and go over enough LSAT questions, you can be successful with either method.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:45 am

typ3 wrote:I few have mentioned on other threads that powerscore is good for PT'ing in the 150's to 160's and that Atlas is a better for 170+

I disagree. I think PS's methods are good enough to carry you as far as you wan't to go, potentially all the way up to a 180. They break down every single aspect of the LSAT down to the gnat's ass. Their set ups can be voluminous, but I don't think many people actually write out every detail like that. Once you get the hang of it, their stuff is very efficient. PS is certainly not geared specifically toward the 150s and 160s. It can work at any level. In fact, I would say that PS is aimed at the advanced test taker who is serious about improving their score and is willing to put in the work. Any way, once a person in scoring in the 170s, the game becomes less about which prep book you learned with and more about polishing up your game and doing high quality practice under realistic conditions.

Once a person reaches the 170+ level, they almost always have a personalized system for attacking the test. The vast majority of these people started out by using a comercial test prep system. They then practiced their way to to the top through hard work and intense study, personalizing their test taking strategies in the process. Yes, I know there are exceptions: You are a TLS internet genius and you scored in the 99+ percentile with no help from prep companies. You thought the analytical reasoning section was laughably easy the first time you saw it, etc, etc.

The point is that you can learn the fundamentals of the LSAT equally well from any of the high quality, well respected prep companies. Despite all of the nitpicking that goes on about which one of the top prep companies is best, it really comes down to personal preference. Do what works best for you. All these companies can offer you are the tools to succeed at the LSAT. Regardless of which prep company you use, breaking into the 170s requires hard work, extensive practice under timed conditions, thorough review, and a pretty reasonable amount of smarts.

A 170+ scorer is also likely to have the fundamentals of the LSAT so deeply burned into their mind that they can adapt to meet any curve balls that come their way. The test taker who robotically follows a comercial test prep strategy with no flexibility is not the kind of person who would get a 170.

Long story short, use what ever prep company works for you. Find one that you are truly impressed with and then focus on raising your game.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”