Can someone please explain to me how the curves actally work

chrisbforever

Can someone please explain to me how the curves actally work

Postby chrisbforever » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Does it help your score or lower it? Could you please give examples...thanks.

Aggiegrad2011

Re: Can someone please explain to me how the curves actally work

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:09 am

chrisbforever wrote:Does it help your score or lower it? Could you please give examples...thanks.

The curve generally refers to how many questions you can get wrong and still get a 170. Thus, a particularly "hard" LSAT will have a higher value. For example, a really reputably hard LSAT, Dec 09 (PT 59) had a curve of -14, whereas an easier LSAT, PT 50, had a curve of -10 (I'm pretty sure).

LSAC "equates" the exams, to make sure that numerically there is no statistical significant variance between them.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:18 am

Here's a series of posts about the curve.

OSUBoy21

Postby OSUBoy21 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:31 am

Curves CAN be distracting... so I guess they could lower your score... Oh wait, wrong kind of curves...

pseudonym1

Postby pseudonym1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Curve is a very generic term, and almost a misnomer. LSAC equates the LSAT with previously administered tests in order to give a fair playing field to all test takers. Idealistically, someone taking the June test should not have any advantage or disadvantage over another individual taking the October test. In actuality, this approach is optimistic at best. There are too many variables for even the LSACs infinite wisdom to address in one, simplified, formulamatic way. To top things off, the "curve" is predetermined. Yes, that is right, LSAC has employed prophets as well.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:57 pm

pseudonym1 wrote:Curve is a very generic term, and almost a misnomer. LSAC equates the LSAT with previously administered tests in order to give a fair playing field to all test takers. Idealistically, someone taking the June test should not have any advantage or disadvantage over another individual taking the October test. In actuality, this approach is optimistic at best. There are too many variables for even the LSACs infinite wisdom to address in one, simplified, formulamatic way. To top things off, the "curve" is predetermined. Yes, that is right, LSAC has employed prophets as well.

Yes, LSAC does in fact hire prophets but they prefer to call them psychometricians.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”