Flaw questions in LR

blair27

Flaw questions in LR

Postby blair27 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:41 am

I really struggle with flaw questions.....namely, the author fails to consider....

I can sometimes pick up the flaw but can't find an appropriate answer choice, or I can't spot the flaw and proceed to the answer choices to see if something jumps out. invariably I end up choosing an answer that sounds good but is wrong.

just wondering how most people attack these questions. pre phrasing an answer seems great but I can rarely do this

any suggestions or advice?

thanks

minnbills

Re: Flaw questions in LR

Postby minnbills » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:49 am

I usually look to see if there is any obvious gap in the logic, this being more common on conditional type arguments. Maybe 50% of the time, I will be able to find the right answer simply by pre-phrasing the answer. But you should always look to the answer choices for the best possible answer. After reading each choice, quickly think to yourself whether or not the consideration is strictly relevant to the argument, and make sure it's not a reversal.

I think more than any other question type of LR, the flaw questions respond positively to repetition.

Just keep hammering away at it. When you get one wrong, really think to yourself why your answer was wrong. Was it irrelevant? Was the scope too broad or too narrow? Does the flaw actually weaken the argument?

If all else fails, imagine you're arguing the point with somebody. If you raised that AC as an objection, would you be confident that it would dismantle the other person's argument?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”