How to Stay Calm and Focused On Test Day?

dannyde7

How to Stay Calm and Focused On Test Day?

Postby dannyde7 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:10 pm

This is my third time taking the test. The first time I took the test, I scored way below my PT average, and then I cancelled in June. My current PT average is 175, but these are on tests that I had done previously about 6 months ago. I've literally done every single LSAT, so I know I'm well prepared. A lot of my nervousness comes from anxiousness about not knowing what to expect (especially with logic games and reading comp), and this in turn destroys my confidence and my ability to stay agile and focused. Does anyone else experience this? Does anyone have any good advice about how to combat this?

Sandro

Re: How to Stay Calm and Focused On Test Day?

Postby Sandro » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Remain calm and stay focused.

But for real, just go back on what you said - you've done every prep test available, you've seen everything LSAC has thrown at people for the last 20 years and everything is usually a variation of an existing question. At 175 you clearly understand the LSAT and any mistakes are probably due to falling for a trap or just plain out not thinking it through all the way. If that doesnt give you confidence to sit down next Saturday and destroy the LSAT i dont know what could....

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Yeah just be confident in yourself. Don't let bad thoughts recur and argue to yourself that you are going to annihalte this thing. If you're PTing at 175 you should have all the confidence in the world. There are many many people out there who would love to average that.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Right, but does anyone have any tricks about staying calm? Like for me, sometimes when I get nervous and I look at a logic game that is a bit tricky and that I haven't encountered before, I stare at all the questions and become immediately overwhelmed because the answers aren't immediately clear. This causes me to freeze and run out of time. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:49 pm

--ImageRemoved--

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:54 pm

dannyde7 wrote:This is my third time taking the test. The first time I took the test, I scored way below my PT average, and then I cancelled in June. My current PT average is 175, but these are on tests that I had done previously about 6 months ago. I've literally done every single LSAT, so I know I'm well prepared. A lot of my nervousness comes from anxiousness about not knowing what to expect (especially with logic games and reading comp), and this in turn destroys my confidence and my ability to stay agile and focused. Does anyone else experience this? Does anyone have any good advice about how to combat this?

you and me both bro. this will be my third time taking the test and I think my biggest obstacle to overcome on test day is anxiety. I've done essentially all PTs at least twice through if not three times thus far, and even when I was studying for this Oct test, I realized that familiarity was starting to become and issue and I basically had to try to find material that I didn't remember as well. Though my PT scores don't range as nearly as high as yours do, I feel your pain. I just want this to be done and over with finally, I don't think anyone should have to study this much for this test. Just try to be familiar with everything as you go in and confidence is key. You're going in as a seasoned veteran so just remember that.

jennyfrench87

Postby jennyfrench87 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 pm

i freaked out! *lol*

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 pm

rad law wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Trust me, I have Xanax and I'll be taking it the night before the test. Does anyone know if this affects brain function?

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:13 pm

is xanax RX only? are there any drowsiness side effects to it?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:16 pm

I was joking. I wouldn't take Xanax.

adampres

Postby adampres » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Third time anxiety taker here too. I am hoping that with a little bit of now-or-never pressure, I'll be able to focus better. I just think that you have to relax and stop thinking about the score. You hear tons of stories about people going in not knowing what to expect, and not too worried about what they score, and then dropping their best score ever. I don't think I've have ever heard the opposite story, where someone goes in anxious about scoring their best and then does. Can anyone verify that?
I have also considered Xanax, but I don't think it would be worth the cognitive delay it can cause. If everything goes south, I can fill in random bubbles without the aid of mind numbing medication.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:24 pm

I'm worried about falling asleep the night before, so I might take a little. It wears off after a couple hours, right?

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm just a little concerned about the caffeine factor. My consumption of caffeine is pretty irregular, especially coffee. I've found that it is sometimes helpful for me to have a cup, but other times I will experience jitters during a section if I had a cup of coffee prior to the PT. I think I'm just going to avoid it on Saturday, since the reward doesn't appear worth the risk.

Spinach Lover

Postby Spinach Lover » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

dannyde7 wrote:Right, but does anyone have any tricks about staying calm? Like for me, sometimes when I get nervous and I look at a logic game that is a bit tricky and that I haven't encountered before, I stare at all the questions and become immediately overwhelmed because the answers aren't immediately clear. This causes me to freeze and run out of time. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Try scratching your head gently and slowly while you are reading the stimulus. If you don't see any improvement, jump to the next game.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Does anyone have any real advice?

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:54 pm

Benadryl/Nyquil the night before around 8pm get up around 6am and really fully wake up. Meditate a bit or something, maybe play some video games? distract yourself for a bit. Get to the testing center, look at it like you look at a PT. The Qs are all the same, only the variables change. There will always be must be true Q's, and humanities passages, and grouping games, and all the other little things youve seen for the eternity you've spent studying. if anyone knows whats on this test, its you dude.

Be Confident!

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:56 pm

dannyde7 wrote:Does anyone have any real advice?

For LR, If I find myself freezing on a question, I skip it and move on. A 1 point (or a couple depending on how many I freeze up on) is an acceptable loss. When I come back to it, the answer usually leaps out at me.

For LG, if I start freezing up on a game because none of the questions make sense, I mostly re-read the stimulus and before even attacking any of the questions, spend 1-2 minutes purely making inferences or testing out hypothetical templates.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:07 pm

You would be stupid to take Xanax with out doing a test run. I have heard it makes you sleepy while under the influence.

I am not sure how it metabolizes. Could make you fuzzy if you don't take it a lot.

I have Xanax too, but I do not think I am going to take it.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:27 pm

It was prescribed to me and I've taken it for a number of years now in situations where I get anxious (mostly just airplanes). I wouldn't take it the day of the test, just the night before so my head would stop running and I can get to sleep. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Has it negatively affected them?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:36 pm

dannyde7 wrote:It was prescribed to me and I've taken it for a number of years now in situations where I get anxious (mostly just airplanes). I wouldn't take it the day of the test, just the night before so my head would stop running and I can get to sleep. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Has it negatively affected them?

I have it for airplanes too. I have been told that it matbolizes similar to drinking a glass or two of whine. Give it a try tonight and see how you do.

How does it feel to take it in general?

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:46 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:It was prescribed to me and I've taken it for a number of years now in situations where I get anxious (mostly just airplanes). I wouldn't take it the day of the test, just the night before so my head would stop running and I can get to sleep. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Has it negatively affected them?

I have it for airplanes too. I have been told that it matbolizes similar to drinking a glass or two of whine. Give it a try tonight and see how you do.

How does it feel to take it in general?

It doesn't make me feel drunk, but it definitely makes me lethargic. Once I took it during a very stressful day at work (something I did once during a truly awful week), and I basically didn't give a shit if the building caught on fire. Actually, I think I spent the rest of the day listening to recordings of Phish on Youtube instead of doing anything.

The feeling wears off after a couple hours, but I was wondering if any of this impairs brain function/reasoning abilities, as I hear weed does.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:56 am

I wish I had helpful advice but I do not. Just wanted to say that you and I are in the exact same place, same PT average and all, also a retaker. I will send good fuzzy vibes your way test day if you do the same for me. : ) If you get nervous, just think, that weird girl in Texas is sending me a boost of energy right now.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:11 am

Stop giving a fuck!

If you go in there with a really relaxed attitude and forget that this test can determine what law school you attend, thus what courses you take and what grades you receive, the people you meet, the connections you make or don't make, where you live, whom you date and likely marry, where you wind up working, and whether you acheive your dream of being a managing partner or CEO or federal judge. Forget all of that and you'll be just fine.

Take the test like it's no big deal, just a 3.5 hour formality until you go to HYS CCN. IT'S JUST A TEST. YOU...WILL...LIVE!
Last edited by PDaddy on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:13 am

PDaddy wrote:Stop giving a fuck!

Take the test like it's no big deal, just a 3.5 hour formality until you go to HYS CCN. IT'S JUST A TEST. YOU...WILL...LIVE!

QF TITCR

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:18 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Stop giving a fuck!

QF TITCR

I really mean it. Sometimes, the most prepared people need to just go on auto-pilot. Trust yourself. If you're scoring near 180 in practice, there's nothing they can throw at you that you cannot solve. Why worry about it?

A small amount of nervous energy is good...use it to get off to a fast start when the test begins. Once you start answering questions, slow down just a little bit and cruise. That nervousness will disappear once you have your momentum.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”