HELP! urgent...help about nerves?

sangr

HELP! urgent...help about nerves?

Postby sangr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:22 pm

i feel that since you guys could relate most to me maybe it could help..this is more of a personal issue but...

so im taking the october test..which theres about a week left.

i was feeling pretty damn confident...averaging 172-high 170s in the PT 50s(FINALLY because something just clicked)

however recently someone around me started making me get ideas in my head...such as being nervous for the test...etc.

so i was starting to feel anxious and stuff (constantly getting accelerated hearbeats, etc..) i feel like im needlessly becoming like this because in the back of my mind there was a small fear in my head that during the testing i might get jittery and stuff ..

so basically now im constantly having symptoms of being nervous..fast heartbeat...i read the damn stimulus but im not REALLY comprehending..so i dunno wthell i just read.
i took pt 58 and i got an abysmal LR...in which i usually get 1 or 2 wrong out of both sections combined.

just wondering did anyone else have this? i just dont want this happening for the real testing..but the fear of it happening for the actual testing is just somehow psychologically brain raping me and manifesting it into reality.

Just wondering how other people deal with nerves...im just really mad because before i got these ideas in my head i was almost completely CALM...and i dont want my chances ruined just because of a little comment..
its stupid really..

tell me your experiences/ any advice!
thanks

DearCan

Re: HELP! urgent...help about nerves?

Postby DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:54 pm

This happened to me about two weeks ago. The school I'm really hoping to get into is NU. I have a low GPA so a 170+ is essential to even be considered. I'd been studying for three months and consistently getting between 171 and 176. However, with the added pressure of knowing that 1 point could shut me out completely I began getting overly stressed, actually experiencing almost real test-taking stress during a PT, waking up at 3 AM to do logic games, etc. My scores started dropping.

I just stopped studying period. For around 4 or 5 days. I put everything out of sight and just lived my life. I'm now much calmer and I think the break allowed me to consider how crazy I was being! :)

I just accepted that if I don't get into NU it's not the end of the world, and my behavior and stress wasn't going to get me there. Also, if I begin to get that blank panicky feeling I close my eyes for around five seconds and just breathe deeply and this usually helps.

Everyone is different, but maybe take a day or two off. I know it's close to test time, but I think you'd be better served by doing this. I don't know if you're a splitter, but we have a bit of added stress and we have to work extra hard to mitigate it any way we can.

Edit: If you're getting 172+ on most of your practice exams (under strictly timed conditions) the knowledge that you're capable of those scores can sometimes boost spirits. :wink:

sangr

Postby sangr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:01 pm

thanks a lot for the reply..just knowing that someone else could feel this way makes me feel better to say the least...
i think youre right that i should take a few days off...however i have PT 59 and 60s left...im wondering if it would be better to do them near test date... finishing them up by the wednesday or thursday before the test.... or if i should go thru them and take it easy the last 2-3 days...

anyways thanks for the input.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 pm

sangr wrote:thanks a lot for the reply..just knowing that someone else could feel this way makes me feel better to say the least...
i think youre right that i should take a few days off...however i have PT 59 and 60s left...im wondering if it would be better to do them near test date... finishing them up by the wednesday or thursday before the test.... or if i should go thru them and take it easy the last 2-3 days...

anyways thanks for the input.

I think since you're super stressed, maybe you should take the next two or three days off. Then get crackin' on those PTs. Since it's so close to test time I wouldn't do more than one every other day, and I would probably recommend not doing a PT the day before the test. Keep in mind, this test isn't just aimed at testing analytical abilities, but how well we're able to perform under stress. Relaxation is key.

sangr

Postby sangr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:17 pm

a big problem for me is my heart rate is constnatly up...its really pissin me off cuz i dunno why such a random insignificant comment could flip me upside down like that.

thanks a lot for the advice,

good luck to u!

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:40 pm

sangr wrote:a big problem for me is my heart rate is constnatly up...its really pissin me off cuz i dunno why such a random insignificant comment could flip me upside down like that.

thanks a lot for the advice,

good luck to u!

Haha, nervous ---> heart racing. Just remember to breathe. Seems like stupid advice but I've found myself holding my breath during a particularly difficult LR question. Once you realize you're doing it, it's a lot easier to correct.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Also always keep in mind that there's nothing to stress about because you have FIVE days to cancel, and you can always take the test again! It's not a do or die scenario!

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:49 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:Also always keep in mind that there's nothing to stress about because you have FIVE days to cancel, and you can always take the test again! It's not a do or die scenario!

Huh, I didn't know this. I probably couldn't justify canceling anyway. I've been studying hard for more than three months, so I feel this performance is going to be indicative of my best ability.

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:51 pm

propranolol
/thread

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Jackie O wrote:propranolol
/thread

Somehow this suggestion + your tar made me lol.

I really need to get more sleep.

odoylerules

Postby odoylerules » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:58 pm

Take practice tests with other people, cause you can feel their nerves. No LSAT cacophony or crowded coffee shop can do this. It'll definitely make you feel more comfortable on test day.

georgetown.hopeful

Postby georgetown.hopeful » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:16 pm

please don't lose yourself over this.

i had a similar situation in which someone freaked me out about test-day nerves even though i'd been doing well on PTs. it turns out i didn't do as well as i had been doing on PTs but it WASN'T because of nerves (i was having some timing issues that i never really corrected or figured out until later). i went on to add a few points to my score. i didn't get into my dream school (probably not because of my lsat though, more to do with my late application process). i'm now in law school somewhere else and i love it probably more than i would my dream school, no joke.

the point is: i think it sounds like you are well-prepared and doing really well on your PTs. but you have to calm yourself down. remind yourself that this isn't the end of the world (i know it seems like it is-- believe me, but it isn't). if you have to seek psychological help at your school's counseling center or elsewhere, don't be prideful about it. sometimes just talking to a neutral, third-party non-law-school-applicant can be helpful.

if you're not willing to do this (and i know time is probably an issue in your case), then i think you should make sure your sleep/food/exercise/fresh air cycle is in good order. take a day to clear your head if you need to, and then get back to your prep. this always helps me when i'm stressed.

best of luck to you!

WeX11788

Postby WeX11788 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:56 pm

Test anxiety... I sometimes get it during my LR & LG sections. You gotta snap out of it. When you notice the fast heartbeat and other symptoms, stop for just a slight second and take a couple of deep breaths. You can't psyche yourself out so easily. Good luck.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”