PT 50--RC #19 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DreamShake

Bronze

PT 50--RC #19

Post by DreamShake » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Could anybody please explain question 19 on the RC and question 12 on section 5 (2nd LR section)?

I narrowed 19 down to a tossup between B and E (CR) and went with B; I don't see how D reinforces "Images of European authority over other cultures"...it's talking about friendship! It seems then, that's it's more a matter of B being wrong than D being a great answer...so, why is B wrong?

Edit: Figured out the LR question and kpuc got me on the RC!
Last edited by DreamShake on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

kpuc

Bronze

Re: PT 50--RC #19

Post by kpuc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Re: RC

I got this one wrong too, but upon review, I know why.

B is wrong because the Europeans are changing THEIR ways to accommodate the natives. D is more correct because the Europeans are changing the natives' rituals, even if for "benevolent" purposes.

The passage talked about how European authority was imposed through the reinterpretation of rituals, ceremonies, and traditions. I guess you're supposed to infer that the reinterpretation was of OTHER CULTURES' rituals etc.

DreamShake

Bronze

Re: PT 50--RC #19

Post by DreamShake » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:04 am

Ah, that does make sense. Very subtle inference...I'm still baffled by the testmakers' construing a ritual to depict friendship as an "image of European authority," but it at least makes some sense why "B" was a wrong answer. Thanks for the help!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”