Grade 12 student looking into law school

h3jk5h

Grade 12 student looking into law school

Postby h3jk5h » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi guys, two years ago (When I was in grade 10) I started a topic in regards to looking into law school. The consensus seemed to be that I was too young and shouldn't have looked into these things. Two years later, today, I have changed and grown into a young adult and will still seek your advice.

Ironically I dropped all my science courses in grade 12 (I found out I lost my interest in science although I could obtain 90+) and I am now extremely interested in the social sciences; such as world issues, politics, etc.. A few months down the road I would be applying to university and I plan to attend Univeristy of Toronto and study in the social sciences. I would probably major in economics.

In grade 10, I took a practice LSAT test and received a score of 137, I took the same test again (only the Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension sections) last week; In LR, I got 75% of the questions right (I'm talented in logic), but I had trouble with the reading comprehension, I got only 50% right. But this was a significant improvement after two years.

It is strange, I received the highest English mark in my class with 90 but I can only get 50% right on my reading comprehension. Is this a good score for my age?

I decided to save studying Logical Games later in university. My goal now is to improve Reading Comprehension, I'm going to put away my Kaplan LSAT book and concentrate on long-term reading improvement.

I know right now I should be worrying about getting into university; but I also want to develop the reading skills I need to prepare my LSAT test years down the road.

BTW my goal is to go to a TOP IVY Law School, Havard or Yale

I would appreciate any insights and comments.

dakatz

Re: Grade 12 student looking into law school

Postby dakatz » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:35 pm

Don't think about it yet. I repeat. NOT YET!!! Go to college, enjoy it, do well, make friends, mature up a bit, etc. All these things are quite necessary for you to do before you consider the LSAT. Sure, take courses that involve much reading and critical analysis. That way you will be developing your reading skills without even thinking about the LSAT. But please, just enjoy college and don't even consider this for at least a few more years.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:36 pm

h3jk5h wrote:Hi guys, two years ago (When I was in grade 10) I started a topic in regards to looking into law school. The consensus seemed to be that I was too young and shouldn't have looked into these things. Two years later, today, I have changed and grown into a young adult and will still seek your advice.

Ironically I dropped all my science courses in grade 12 (I found out I lost my interest in science although I could obtain 90+) and I am now extremely interested in the social sciences; such as world issues, politics, etc.. A few months down the road I would be applying to university and I plan to attend Univeristy of Toronto and study in the social sciences. I would probably major in economics.

In grade 10, I took a practice LSAT test and received a score of 137, I took the same test again (only the Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension sections) last week; In LR, I got 75% of the questions right (I'm talented in logic), but I had trouble with the reading comprehension, I got only 50% right. But this was a significant improvement after two years.

It is strange, I received the highest English mark in my class with 90 but I can only get 50% right on my reading comprehension. Is this a good score for my age?

I decided to save studying Logical Games later in university. My goal now is to improve Reading Comprehension, I'm going to put away my Kaplan LSAT book and concentrate on long-term reading improvement.

I know right now I should be worrying about getting into university; but I also want to develop the reading skills I need to prepare my LSAT test years down the road.

BTW my goal is to go to a TOP IVY Law School, Havard or Yale

I would appreciate any insights and comments.

Have fun at prom

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:36 pm

Future gunner up in this thread.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Here is how to improve your reading comprehension skills: go to university and do the assigned reading.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:39 pm

eit wrote:Here is how to improve your reading comprehension skills: go to university and do the assigned reading.

IF ONLY THIS WAS TRUE. OH HOW I HATE YOU READING COMP.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:42 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
eit wrote:Here is how to improve your reading comprehension skills: go to university and do the assigned reading.

Well, your reading comprehension skills probably improved from your pre-college level to now. Doing assigned reading now might not help you improve your skills, but it might help a high schooler.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:44 pm

h3jk5h wrote:I know right now I should be worrying about getting into university

That's right, that's what you should be worrying about. Not the LSAT.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:45 pm

Fuck that.

If you have law school in mind, start making straight A's from the second you decide.

Make them A's and everything will fall into place unless you bomb the LSAT... in which case you're fucked. But that's 4 years from now buddy and straight A's opens doors anyways.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:45 pm

eit wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Well, your reading comprehension skills probably improved from your pre-college level to now. Doing assigned reading now might not help you improve your skills, but it might help a high schooler.

Really? I don't think my reading comp skills have improved at all since highschool. I'm not terrible at RC though (-3 to -5).

But I really think skills for RC are more innate than any other section of the LSAT.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:49 pm

ResolutePear wrote:But that's 4 years from now buddy and straight A's opens doors anyways.

That's true. Many people place a lot of emphasis on the LSAT because they can't change their grades anymore, since they've either already graduated or are seniors with not much time left to improve them. You are in the much better position of being able to influence your grades now. Worry about the LSAT when you can no longer work on that great GPA that's half your profile.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:50 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
eit wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Really? I don't think my reading comp skills have improved at all since highschool. I'm not terrible at RC though (-3 to -5).

But I really think skills for RC are more innate than any other section of the LSAT.

I don't agree. I think reading skills are developed over the course of a lifetime. RC is my favorite section and I really don't think it's coincidental that reading is one of my favorite things to do and that I own about 500 books I've read about 3-5 times each. I also don't think I like reading because I'm good at it - I got 92% in the last math class I took but I absolutely ABHOR math. I don't know. I really think the more you read, the better you get at reading.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:55 pm

I've wondered how I would do things if I had thought about this in high school. I'd probably have a higher GPA - I was very aimless, and that surely influenced grades my first year or two. It's not bad to have a goal, but don't lock yourself into it.

Your undergraduate institution - I'd avoid debt. Even with generous financial aid from HYS, you won't have any way to pay it back, unless this isn't a factor. If not, go to the best school you can. Get a scholarship if you can. Do the liberal arts schtick but do something interesting to set yourself apart, and, by the way, to grow as a person. Try and determine what that something is going to be no later than the second half of your first year in college. Do it well. Keep your grades above 3.8. Don't burn out. This is good general advice.

You really, really, don't need to worry about the LSAT yet.

Reading - read more. I learned very little from college classes in regards to reading. Read, and write, get critiqued by someone better, and repeat.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:58 pm

someone please explain how fucked up the american legal market is. I don't know, maybe in 6 years things will be different.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:59 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:someone please explain how fucked up the american legal market is. I don't know, maybe in 6 years things will be different.

Love your "404" post count.

It's more fucked than getting a block of swiss cheese to float.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:04 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Fuck that.

If you have law school in mind, start making straight A's from the second you decide.

Make them A's and everything will fall into place unless you bomb the LSAT... in which case you're fucked. But that's 4 years from now buddy and straight A's opens doors anyways.

creamedcats wrote:I've wondered how I would do things if I had thought about this in high school. I'd probably have a higher GPA - I was very aimless, and that surely influenced grades my first year or two. It's not bad to have a goal, but don't lock yourself into it.

Your undergraduate institution - I'd avoid debt. Even with generous financial aid from HYS, you won't have any way to pay it back, unless this isn't a factor. If not, go to the best school you can. Get a scholarship if you can. Do the liberal arts schtick but do something interesting to set yourself apart, and, by the way, to grow as a person. Try and determine what that something is going to be no later than the second half of your first year in college. Do it well. Keep your grades above 3.8. Don't burn out. This is good general advice.

You really, really, don't need to worry about the LSAT yet.

Reading - read more. I learned very little from college classes in regards to reading. Read, and write, get critiqued by someone better, and repeat.

These.

Have fun, pick a major your interested in that isn't extremely difficult or graded on a curve, get straight A's. Develop 2 strong relationships with professosr if possible, and become involved in 1 or 2 clubs that you are interested in. Don't spread yourself too thin. Come back here after you finished your sophmore year of college and start your game plan for the LSAT and law school applications.

Very, very, very important: If you are financing your own education, go to a cheap school! You will still be able to get a good quality education there, and you want to save money for law school, which commonly leaves people 150k+ in debt. Try and get at least a part time job all 4 years and save, save, save (assuming you can do so without sacrificing your GPA even .01).

Good luck, and you are already ahead of the game thinking about this far in advance, which I definitely think is a smart move.
Last edited by Knock on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:05 pm

What everyone here is saying is right on the money. It's too early to think about the LSAT and law school at this point. Focus on grade 12 grades for now and try and maintain a high average in order to attend a prime university; such as U of T. Just remember that law schools look at two things: LSAT and GPA. More so the LSAT than the GPA but your GPA is still very important. With that being said, it is well known that U of T is one of the hardest schools in Canada and maintaining a 3.0 GPA is no easy task. If I were you I'd consider other schools like York (I know, nothing like U of T academically) but since Law schools don't put too much stock into what school you attended for your undergrad it wouldn't really matter. What matters is that you'd have a better shot at maintaining a solid GPA at York as opposed to U of T.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:09 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:What everyone here is saying is right on the money. It's too early to think about the LSAT and law school at this point. Focus on grade 12 grades for now and try and maintain a high average in order to attend a prime university; such as U of T. Just remember that law schools look at two things: LSAT and GPA. More so the LSAT than the GPA but your GPA is still very important. With that being said, it is well known that U of T is one of the hardest schools in Canada and maintaining a 3.0 GPA is no easy task. If I were you I'd consider other schools like York (I know, nothing like U of T academically) but since Law schools don't put too much stock into what school you attended for your undergrad it wouldn't really matter. What matters is that you'd have a better shot at maintaining a solid GPA at York as opposed to U of T.

Don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. - the university you attend UG for is of no importance to the LS. It's GPA and LSAT. Some schools weigh LSAT more than GPA, some do the converse. Some value work experience, some couldn't care less.

Postby 2014 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Get into whatever UG you are going to have the most fun at and will give you the best job prospects if law school falls through. Get very good grades from the get go. Don't wait until spring of your sophomore year to realize that shitty grades are unacceptable, get A's the whole way through, it is possible and most of us on here probably wish we did that.

As for the LSAT, screw worrying about that for years. If you truly want to get better at RC, do all of your reading for classes in college and focus on the main points and the contrasting opinions, and get a student subscription to the wall street journal or the economist or some other publication that is written in language that makes the common man go glossy eyed.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Drink moar and have moar sex.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Go to the easiest accredited university you can. Major in the easiest subject you can. Get straight A's and acet the LSAT. Sounds easy huh, huh?

Also, this will help with the drinking MOAR and having MOAR seks. The first characteristic is expecialy important since many lawyers at large and prestigious firms are heavy drinkers and will evaluate you to some extend on how well you hold your liquor (did I just give OP an gunner reason to drink, damn we are just THAT well trained TOP IVY LAW SCHOOLS!) LOL>

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:49 pm

For now, focus on losing your virginity.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:00 pm

-
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h3jk5h

Postby h3jk5h » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:15 pm

lol to the virginity post

how do I know which courses are easy in my university?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:17 pm

h3jk5h wrote:lol to the virginity post

how do I know which courses are easy in my university?

ratemyprofessors.com

Also do not major in science/math. They are not easy.

Any majors such as English/Communications are generally known to be easy.

History/Political Science can be a joke if you are a good writer and don't mind reading.

You can always major in something like Modern Dance if you REALLY don't want to do any work.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”