freaking out... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
xqhp82

Bronze

freaking out...

Post by xqhp82 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:27 am

my first timed test after a month of studying was 159 (superprep A), then I did PT19-30 and was averaging around a 165 (lots of 164, 167 twice). But recently my scores seem to be deteriorating....since PT 32 I have been scoring 162, and today a 160 on PT34. I'm really discouraged by my performance...not sure why it's the case, i don't see much consistency in terms of which section i get wrong...sometimes i can have -2 on LG but sometimes -9. In one test I can score -3 in LR1 and -9 in LR2. only RC seems to be consistently bad, averaging around 6-7. Is it because the PTs in the 30s are harder or am I burning out?

and what should be the right strategy for me now? Should I stop doing timed tests from now on and do untimed sections until my score goes back up again? or should i repeat questions? i'm freaking out because PTs in the 50s seem even harder than 30s and I don't have much time left for the remaining PTs. would like some helpful suggestions.....

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: freaking out...

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:32 am

LG's are easier in the 50's than in the 10-30's imo.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:34 am

xqhp82 wrote:my first timed test after a month of studying was 159 (superprep A), then I did PT19-30 and was averaging around a 165 (lots of 164, 167 twice). But recently my scores seem to be deteriorating....since PT 32 I have been scoring 162, and today a 160 on PT34. I'm really discouraged by my performance...not sure why it's the case, i don't see much consistency in terms of which section i get wrong...sometimes i can have -2 on LG but sometimes -9. In one test I can score -3 in LR1 and -9 in LR2. only RC seems to be consistently bad, averaging around 6-7. Is it because the PTs in the 30s are harder or am I burning out?

and what should be the right strategy for me now? Should I stop doing timed tests from now on and do untimed sections until my score goes back up again? or should i repeat questions? i'm freaking out because PTs in the 50s seem even harder than 30s and I don't have much time left for the remaining PTs. would like some helpful suggestions.....
Just relax. If theres one thing you shouldve learned from LSAT LR Flaw in the Reasoning questions, its that just because something was true in the past that doesnt mean it'll be true in the future and vice versa. In other words, just because youre somewhat sucking now doesnt mean youll keep sucking. You'll improve. Youre doing well thus far. Keep at it!

Good luck!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:42 am

just figure out what your weakness's are and create a solution to deal with them... until you get a 180. Crying doesnt help.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:43 am

Sandro777 wrote:just figure out what your weakness's are and create a solution to deal with them... until you get a 180. Crying doesnt help.
I actually find crying a very effective method of releasing stress.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:18 am

OP, do you think this could be the result of LSAT burnout? I can say from experience that taking a day or two off can do wonders for your performance.
xqhp82 wrote:my first timed test after a month of studying
Also, I'm not sure that diving into full length PTs after one month was the best idea. I don't mean to shake your confidence or demean your methods but it does not sound like you devoted sufficient time to mastering the fundamentals of each section. To me, preparing for the LSAT is a lot like training for an athletic event. It would be inefficient to play 48 minute games of 5 on 5 basketball before you understood the basics of shooting, passing, and defense. Likewise I think that taking full length LSATs before you understand the fundamentals of LR, RC and LG is somewhat wasteful. Again, I'm just trying to point out something for others' benefit.

To get back to your question, I would take a day or two off from PTs and refocus on the basics of each section. If you began with the Powerscore Bibles, go back and review the question types you find the most difficult. This a great way to build your confidence back up and solidify your foundations for each section. If you have not used the Powerscore books yet, then you should seriously consider picking them up today . I know several people who switched to Powerscore well into their prep with very good results.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:33 am

take a day off, forget about everything that is LSAT related, and do something fun. Come back and before you jump into the pts, seew what question types you frequently miss, and go over those areas again. Re work some games, and LR for a day or 2, then start back into the pts. If this does suit you, then take a pt untimed and use that to evaluate where you are.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:05 am

RC only gets harder after the 30's I believe.

There's always December.

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:01 am

thanks for the encouragement everyone, i think i will take a day off tomorrow and try to do some basic review on Monday. I hope gdane5 is right about the LR rule- i will get out of this bad situation sooN!
The Gentleman wrote:Also, I'm not sure that diving into full length PTs after one month was the best idea. I don't mean to shake your confidence or demean your methods but it does not sound like you devoted sufficient time to mastering the fundamentals of each section.
sorry for the confusion, actually I spent about 7 weeks to go over the 3 bibles and did practice questions from PT1-20....i think that is sufficient exercise before starting the timed tests. I took Superprep A 4 weeks into my study and didn't take any more PTs until Superprep B after another 4 weeks and experienced a 4-point increase. that was when I started regular timed tests. but I will try your method from now and see what happens.

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:03 am

3|ink wrote:RC only gets harder after the 30's I believe.
I realized this, that's why I am worried about my currently low RC score. I am guessing RC will be the hardest to improve on, so I really need to nail LG and LR. But on the other hand, is it better if I start working on some more recent RC passages so that I feel more comfortable about them??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”