Moving from low 170s to mid/high 170s

AztecaRex

Moving from low 170s to mid/high 170s

Postby AztecaRex » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:06 am

Hey guys,

I've taken the LSAT already and have a perfectly respectable but not awe-inspiring (for the schools I would like to apply to) score in the low 170s. However, I would sleep much better at night were I to bump this score up around 3-5 points. I've been practice testing around my target area but have yet to break past 176. I've read that if you want to score in the mid-170s, you should be PTing at 177-180 or thereabouts. Long story short, I have three main questions:

1. Do you think I have a decent shot of scoring in the mid-170s on test day in October?
2. Any advice for tackling those last few points on my practice tests?
3. In particular, any advice for Reading Comprehension? Ironically, it was my best section initially, but I honestly have not improved virtually at all since my first practice test ever.

Thanks in advance guys, and best wishes to those of you testing in October.

Hedwig

Re: Moving from low 170s to mid/high 170s

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:10 am

What's your current RC strategy? What are you doing to improve it? What's your current -#?

Here is my strategy for RC.

Read the passage once through, underlining and going nice and gently through. Not quick, not slow, just... make every line important. Circle important nouns.

Refer back to the passage when you encounter questions. Get comfortable with the tricks they use for wrong answers (I feel like better wrong answers are why newer RC is harder, not harder passages or anything). Just check back. It's not reading memorization. It's reading comprehension. If you can answer the question by looking at the passage, you have comprehended the question, you deserve the point, let's move on.

I don't: excessively notate. Summarize. Speed read. Try to memorize anything. Care if I return to the passage 20 times.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:15 am

AztecaRex wrote:Hey guys,

I've taken the LSAT already and have a perfectly respectable but not awe-inspiring (for the schools I would like to apply to) score in the low 170s. However, I would sleep much better at night were I to bump this score up around 3-5 points. I've been practice testing around my target area but have yet to break past 176. I've read that if you want to score in the mid-170s, you should be PTing at 177-180 or thereabouts. Long story short, I have three main questions:

1. Do you think I have a decent shot of scoring in the mid-170s on test day in October?
3. In particular, any advice for Reading Comprehension? Ironically, it was my best section initially, but I honestly have not improved virtually at all since my first practice test ever.

I'm in the same boat as you. 171 in June, looking for a 3+ point bump in October. I would definitely say get your PT score as high as possible, to account for the test day drop. Although I was PT'ing at 176 and still dropped to 171, so....lol. Good luck man, hope you get there :).

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:20 am

hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I typically get -3/-4 on reading comprehension, -1/-2 on logical reasoning, and -0/-1 on logic games.

I find that I zone out too easily if I try reading the passage first, so I typically dance around the questions until I find one that references a particular line or at least seems specific to one area. I do all of those questions first, then I go back and read the passage to finish the main point and more general questions. I've heard that underlining and circling and whatnot helps you stay focused, but I'm always afraid that I will end up underlining too much and will just have the entire passage covered in pencil.
Last edited by AztecaRex on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:22 am

Knockglock wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. 171 in June, looking for a 3+ point bump in October. I would definitely say get your PT score as high as possible, to account for the test day drop. Although I was PT'ing at 176 and still dropped to 171, so....lol. Good luck man, hope you get there :).

Thanks alot, man. My best wishes to you as well. What's your top pick if you make the bump up?

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:33 am

AztecaRex wrote:
Knockglock wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. 171 in June, looking for a 3+ point bump in October. I would definitely say get your PT score as high as possible, to account for the test day drop. Although I was PT'ing at 176 and still dropped to 171, so....lol. Good luck man, hope you get there :).

Thanks alot, man. My best wishes to you as well. What's your top pick if you make the bump up?

Stanford! how about you?

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Assuming I get in both (and it's a big assumption for the latter), I would be torn between Stanford and Yale. I love Yale's intellectual sort of scholarly approach, but Stanford's definitely got the more attractive environment and the name sounds sexier :P Stanford Law.... Got a nice ring to it. Plus, I'm guessing Stanford has more Latinos (just basing this on geography), so I might fit in more there. Still, I would be happy beyond all belief to get admitted to either.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Practice practice practice. Also, figure out what's wrong with your accuracy. Since every point counts.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:20 pm

AztecaRex wrote:hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I typically get -3/-4 on reading comprehension, -1/-2 on logical reasoning, and -0/-1 on logic games.

I find that I zone out too easily if I try reading the passage first, so I typically dance around the questions until I find one that references a particular line or at least seems specific to one area. I do all of those questions first, then I go back and read the passage to finish the main point and more general questions. I've heard that underlining and circling and whatnot helps you stay focused, but I'm always afraid that I will end up underlining too much and will just have the entire passage covered in pencil.

Lol, so? My passages are pretty heavily underlined, but my head is steady enough that it doesn't interfere with writing.

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Well I've always assumed that the purpose of underlining was to emphasize important parts, which kind of loses its value once everything is underlined :wink:

InsertCleverName

Postby InsertCleverName » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:33 pm

^^

To me, underlining was more of a way to increase my concentration. If I see an important point and take a second to underline it, I'm better at remembering it when I go to the question and don't need to look back at the underlining.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:57 pm

AztecaRex wrote:Hey guys,

It took me a month or two to jump from low 170s to high 170s. Like you, I did not improve in reading comprehension from day 1 of my studies to the last. In order to make the jump, I actually ended up perfecting my LG and LR scores. RC never did come around--at this point in my life my reading style is pretty well set, and is not well designed for a perfect RC score. I tried a few methods and nothing worked to remove the two or so mistakes I'd make per test. The only thing I really learned was an internal sense of how much time I had and how long to spend on each question (which helps for hitting your usual score, especially if you can bring your time down to 30-32 minutes on PTs).

My point is that you can get - 3 on RC and still hit in the mid-high 170s. Don't neglect the rest of the test. Perfect LG+LR is entirely possible if you are already strong in it.

Edit: one final note. People learn differently. My improvement came in waves. I kept a steady schedule but some days I would seem to clear a hurdle and then never go back down to my lower scores; it would click. So you might be near a breakthrough, you don't know. Just work at it and see what comes--not much else you can do.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”