Changes in the LSAT over time

amkid100

Changes in the LSAT over time

Postby amkid100 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:42 pm

October is around the corner and I still have a ton of practice tests left with limited time! How has the test changed from the mid-30's - 60? Which sections get harder? Have the curves changed? When was the paired RC passage introduced? And any other general trends...

albanach

Re: Changes in the LSAT over time

Postby albanach » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm

amkid100 wrote:October is around the corner and I still have a ton of practice tests left with limited time! How has the test changed from the mid-30's - 60? Which sections get harder? Have the curves changed? When was the paired RC passage introduced? And any other general trends...

I believe Comparative reading was introduced in June 2007.

There seems to be debate as to whether LG has become easier, or it simply seems easier as you master the subject in old tests then get -0/-1 in the newer ones.

I haven't analyzed it, but it would be interesting to compare how many Logic Games per year have a 'change the rules' type question at the end, sucking up time. That's surely one of the easiest ways to make logic games harder, by forcing you to re-evaluate the whole thing.

I think that recent LR seem to be more challenging compared to older tests. I think this has been achieved by making questions take slightly longer, possibly with harder to prephrase questions like parallel the reasoning.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:08 pm

albanach is correct - comparative passages were introduced in June 2007. You can download that exam for free from LSAC here.

curves have changed over time, although not so much between mid-30s - 60. more like between 20s/30s - 60.

dooterdude11

Postby dooterdude11 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:13 pm

There really is no question: Logic Games has become substantially easier (try some of the pt's in the 40's and compare those LG to the pt's in the teens) and reading comp has become substantially more difficult. I find LR to be about the same.

LSAC made this change because, imo, they figured LG is the most learnable section and therefore not the one that should be the most difficult. If you make the most learnable section the hardest, well, then it is more difficult to gauge a test takers natural intelligence and performance is more about how much prep time they invested.

Reading comp is very much the least learnable section which makes sense as the ability to retain information is a facet of I.Q and not very trainable.

JohnnyTrojan08

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:26 pm

In general, I found that LG have become more about creatively applying your practice to new combinations of rule types--i.e. more "hybrid" games in the too-simple language of test prep companies--RC has changed as mentioned, and LR has changed in that the question stems have become more codified and there are some slight changes in question type density.

Here's a graph of the reading comprehension change:

And of the logical reasoning change

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:53 pm

In my opinion, LG has become ridiculously easier. LR has stayed approximately the same but it has changed to where it is easier for some individuals and harder for others. RC has become longer and harder without a doubt.

@JohnnyTrojan08
Those are some awesome graphs and provide useful information, thanks for them.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”