Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

JimHalpert

Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby JimHalpert » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:05 am

I'll make this very simple...

It's been a long summer working as a bank teller. Most of my friends were out of town, so I spent many a night watching Curb Your Enthusiasm with some herbal therapy. Despite this habit, however, a seat in one of a few top law schools is my biggest priority right now.

I'm going in to my junior year in college and plan on taking the June lsat. I have a 3.63 LSAC gpa at a t-25 undergrad (hopefully 3.7 by year's end), so I'll need 165+ for a shot at t-25 law school. I just picked up the bibles and plan on cracking them open when I get back to school next week.

For those in the know--how long before the exam/intense preparation should I cease blazing, if I need to at all? I'm 100% willing to (In fact, I will probably never resume if I do), but I also am hesitant to deprive myself of the good times associated with if it won't help.

Note: Let's try to avoid turning this into a debate about marijuana as an entity. People have their own opinions, but that should not permit one to offer unsolicited advice at another removed from the issue at hand. (That being said...Don't knock it 'til you try it! :D )

Thanks for the help!

Knock

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:09 am

JimHalpert wrote:I'll make this very simple...

It's been a long summer working as a bank teller. Most of my friends were out of town, so I spent many a night watching Curb Your Enthusiasm with some herbal therapy. Despite this habit, however, a seat in one of a few top law schools is my biggest priority right now.

I'm going in to my junior year in college and plan on taking the June lsat. I have a 3.63 LSAC gpa at a t-25 undergrad (hopefully 3.7 by year's end), so I'll need 165+ for a shot at t-25 law school. I just picked up the bibles and plan on cracking them open when I get back to school next week.

For those in the know--how long before the exam/intense preparation should I cease blazing, if I need to at all? I'm 100% willing to (In fact, I will probably never resume if I do), but I also am hesitant to deprive myself of the good times associated with if it won't help.

Note: Let's try to avoid turning this into a debate about marijuana as an entity. People have their own opinions, but that should not permit one to offer unsolicited advice at another removed from the issue at hand. (That being said...Don't knock it 'til you try it! :D )

Thanks for the help!

It didn't hurt me although I stopped a couple of weeks before just to be safe (I have my medicinal card, so not doing anything illegal here :D).

Honestly -- it's probably a good thing for LSAT preparation. Relaxation can be hard to come by in the weeks leading up to the test (especially when it's during your finals week, like it was for the June LSAT for me). Don't forgoe something that can contribute to that.

Full disclosure: I rarely, rarely smoke anymore, so this opinion may not be as biased as it appears.

Edit: Also, this post is assuming moderation. Like everything, don't go crazy. But I don't think a little bit at night will hurt you at all -- just don't overdue it.
Last edited by Knock on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:10 am

With long-term, daily heavy smoking, give yourself at least 3 full months.
You're best off cutting down now-ish, to weekend use etc.

Edit: Knockglock disagrees, & this isn't the sort of area where any one is right. Different people give & need different answers.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:12 am

Sell Manilla wrote:Edit: Knockglock disagrees, & this isn't the sort of area where any one is right. Different people give & need different answers.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:12 am

Sell Manilla wrote:With long-term, daily heavy smoking, give yourself at least 3 full months.
You're best off cutting down now-ish, to weekend use etc.

Nah. If we're just talking smoking a little bit at night and watching TV I don't think it would hurt you at all. Now if we're talking an extremely heavy user, who smokes during the day and such, then perhaps they should cut back and use in moderation. But that's not the impression I got from the OP.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:13 am

Knockglock wrote:

Thanks for the help!

It didn't hurt me although I stopped a couple of weeks before just to be safe. And I have my medicinal card so no one bitch at me.

Gave a wink, a nod, and the ol' 23-skidoo?

Sometimes I wish I didn't live in Florida. Not very often.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:14 am

ResolutePear wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Thanks for the help!

It didn't hurt me although I stopped a couple of weeks before just to be safe. And I have my medicinal card so no one bitch at me.

I don't speak 1920's :shock:.

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:15 am

No one else's opinion can really help you on this topic, only you know how it affects your ability to learn and study.

Personal opinion, I love to party as much as the next guy...that said when I need my brain working at 110% I quit all of my vices.

I know avid marijuana users that are in top 25 schools, but I also know avid marijuana users who sat around attempting to study without the ability to focus and retain information.

You decide which category you fall into.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:21 am

As someone who has smoked truck loads of weed in my life, I could not performing well on the LSAT while stoned. I have tried, in fact, and it is unproductive, to say the least. If you don't practice while stoned however, you might be OK. I recommend stopping entirely until the test is over, if you want to maximize your potential score. From personal experience, I know I am not 100% sharp the day after I blaze. In fact, now that I have not smoked for months, I feel smarter than ever lol :lol: .

Maybe you are one of those rare people that can function well intellectually wile smoking weed regularly. But I would take a good hard look at the situation. Be honest with yourself. Is it a little harder to stop smoking weed then you are telling yourself? Only you can answer this question. I think you already know what you need to do.

Gook luck with the LSAT man, and have fun!

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:24 am

Knockglock wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Thanks for the help!

I don't speak 1920's :shock:.

Translation:
said whatup homie doc, I need some heerrb - uhhh...

iiiiiiiight, that's what I'm talking about. YA FEEL ME?!

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:25 am

ResolutePear wrote:

Off topic, but Resolute Pear, you have the most awesome avatar I have ever seen.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:40 am

nStiver wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Off topic, but Resolute Pear, you have the most awesome avatar I have ever seen.

It's a pear with a mouth. Big deal. My plastic potato has all human facial features.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:44 am

Anaconda wrote:
nStiver wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

It's a pear with a mouth. Big deal. My plastic potato has all human facial features.

I think we have 2 users with that same avatar :shock:

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:46 am

Wait... ... what were we talking about again?

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:47 am

Sell Manilla wrote:Wait... ... what were we talking about again?

I can't remember...

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:47 am

kazu wrote:

I can't remember...

I'm hungry guys...anyone up for cooking some food?

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:50 am

Knockglock wrote:
kazu wrote:

I can't remember...

I'm hungry guys...anyone up for cooking some food?

Nah just order pizza... shit sounds dank

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:10 am

JimHalpert wrote:Note: Let's try to avoid turning this into a debate about marijuana as an entity. People have their own opinions, but that should not permit one to offer unsolicited advice

Um, wouldn't any advice offered in response to this post be solicited since you are asking for it?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:21 am

I wouldnt take the test high or practice tests. If you smoke a lot it may be normal. Just dont decide to quit the day before the test. Keep the mentality constant.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:21 am

Profile link or it didn't happen dood.

kazu wrote:
Anaconda wrote:
nStiver wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

I think we have 2 users with that same avatar :shock:

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:26 am

Anaconda wrote:Profile link or it didn't happen dood.

It was someone with less than 100 posts... I'm searching right now... I had deja vu when I saw the 'tar and then I thought I was imagining things.

Here s/he is: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=65531

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:27 am

jarofsoup wrote:I wouldnt take the test high or practice tests. If you smoke a lot it may be normal. Just dont decide to quit the day before the test. Keep the mentality constant.

+1. State-dependent learning is a very real thing and backed up by research. If you study for a test high, you will probably do better on the test if you take it high than you would if you were sober. That being said, the research also shows that studying sober then taking the test sober is even better.

JimHalpert

Postby JimHalpert » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:30 am

thinkbig wrote:
JimHalpert wrote:Note: Let's try to avoid turning this into a debate about marijuana as an entity. People have their own opinions, but that should not permit one to offer unsolicited advice

Um, wouldn't any advice offered in response to this post be solicited since you are asking for it?

Advice about the relationship between marijuana and lsat prep is solicited. Advice about whether or not one should smoke marijuana is not. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. (Insert weed joke here.)

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:34 am

JimHalpert wrote:
thinkbig wrote:

Advice about the relationship between marijuana and lsat prep is solicited. Advice about whether or not one should smoke marijuana is not. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. (Insert weed joke here.)

Abba Zabba, you my only friend.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:35 am

Thanks, just sent them a threatening pm. Now off to smoke a joint with the OP.

Btw Kazu, your avatar went from cute and innocent 10 year old girl's shoes to 20 year old slutty thighs. Interesting evolution.
kazu wrote:
Anaconda wrote:Profile link or it didn't happen dood.

It was someone with less than 100 posts... I'm searching right now... I had deja vu when I saw the 'tar and then I thought I was imagining things.

Here s/he is: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/membe ... le&u=65531

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”