So fed up

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

So fed up

Postby Anaconda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Was taking PT 27 in the library today. The first section, LR started off well. Towards the end of the section the difficulty spiked, no problem I thought, I managed to barely finish on time. 2nd part was LG. Didn't even attempt the snakes and lizards game. Thought I did pretty well on the other three though. Then comes RC. For whatever reason I had trouble concentrating and felt like I was bombing it. I simply gave up and decided to grade my progress:

-9 on the first LR section
-9 on LG
-10 out the first 20 RC questions....

So basically I was down to a 160 on the first 2 and 3/4 sections. No doubt I was going to end up with a sub 155 score.

I don't really know what to do at this point. I've spent hundreds of hours studying and my score keeps on dropping. I haven't been able to get past even 162 yet. I took off a day yesterday and that clearly didn't help.

2 weeks ago I felt that I was "getting" LR. The answers were popping out at me. This isn't the case any longer, so I have no idea wtf happened. I'm very close to quitting at this point, I'm just getting sick of all the studying and time and effort and negative rate of return.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: So fed up

Postby Hedwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Try taking a longer break than just a day, that might help.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby 3|ink » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Just keep going over your mistakes to make sure you don't make them again. Bad scores happen. I haven't scored below a 169 in months and I suddently got a 166 yesterday.

The test is frustrating sometimes. You just have to keep at it.

Adu
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:10 am

Re: So fed up

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:25 pm

I can totally understand that you're frustrated I've been reading the bibles and everytime there is a practice question I get it wrong; trust me I feel like I shouldnt even bother. Don't give up and keep your head up. I agree maybe you should take a longer break; don't be too hard on yourself. Take maybe a two day break and DO NOT think about the LSAT then slowely get back into it without stressing out. Are you maybe in a different state of mind than you were?
If you were able to get higher scores you've got to be able to get back there don't let it break your confidence :-)

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: So fed up

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:32 pm

Quit taking PT's, you clearly don't understand the material. Re-read the bible, go over old tests and make sure you understand why every correct answer in the correct answer.

User avatar
lastch2
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby lastch2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:34 pm

first off pt 27 thoroughly kicked my ass, but regardless, i would just focus on going over past tests and figuring out the logic behind the lsat. there's still a lot of time for that and that's worth more than all the PT's in the world just figuring out
1) wtf is this question talking about
2) wtf is this question asking me
3) why the fuck did i pick the answer i did
4) why the fuck is it right/wrong
..don't know about you but i find myself using "fuck" a lot when dealing with the lsat, it's theraputic

Adu
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:10 am

Re: So fed up

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:36 pm

lastch2 wrote:first off pt 27 thoroughly kicked my ass, but regardless, i would just focus on going over past tests and figuring out the logic behind the lsat. there's still a lot of time for that and that's worth more than all the PT's in the world just figuring out
1) wtf is this question talking about
2) wtf is this question asking me
3) why the fuck did i pick the answer i did
4) why the fuck is it right/wrong
..don't know about you but i find myself using "fuck" a lot when dealing with the lsat, it's theraputic


Haha love that last sentence!

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: So fed up

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm in the same boat with you man. Don't give up. Yesterday I was frustrated as all hell with myself when I missed 3 on the first LG, especially with LG being my best section, but tomorrow is a new day. Keep with it.

bananasinpajamas
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby bananasinpajamas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:19 pm

IBOS

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Anaconda don't want none?

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: So fed up

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:24 pm

eit wrote:Try taking a longer break than just a day, that might help.


^This.

Also, consider taking a few PT's untimed. You are clearly not fully getting LR if you are missing that many questions on just one section. Getting down understanding and accuracy is the first step, then you can focus more on timing. For LG, just try doing as many games as possible every chance you get, it doesn't matter if it's just one game or a full section. As long as you have the basics down for games, this is a section where timing can be focused on pretty early on. Push your speed as much as possible on the easier games while trying to maintain your speed (if you end up going to fast and being too inaccurate, then slow down). This will help give you more time for the harder games...and snakes and lizards is a nasty one.

User avatar
OklahomasOK
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby OklahomasOK » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:28 pm

Take a break, don't even review for a while. The test is still two months away, you have the luxury of taking a day or two off. Everyone goes through these plateaus or hurdles with the LSAT.

I was consistently missing 7 or 8 LR per section, then it clicked. I was always missing 7-10 on RC, then I used Voyager's method, and it clicked. If LRB and LGB aren't helping, try using Atlas. I switched from PowerScore's sequencing method to Atlas' and it sped up my time on sequencing games. Pick and choose what works best for you as a study/ test taking tool.

When I do exceptionally poor on a test/ section, I go back to a section or test I actually enjoyed (if possible) taking. For me, this was PT54, I rework it, get back in to a comfort zone, then move forward.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: So fed up

Postby Hedwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:17 pm

I just did PT 27 after hearing about this infamous snakes and lizards game and what not. If you look at the curve, it's definitely looks to be an above average test.

I found snakes and lizards to be much easier than the cars game. But that might be because I spent too much time on the lizards and didn't have enough time for the cars.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby gdane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:26 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Quit taking PT's, you clearly don't understand the material. Re-read the bible, go over old tests and make sure you understand why every correct answer in the correct answer.


Definitely. You're taking your prep seriously, which is great, but you seem to be doing too much at a time. Taking a PT every single day might not be ideal. What I've gathered from the high LSAT scorers on this site is if you're scoring in the high 160's to the 170's range, taking PT's is what you need to do because at that point theres nothing more for you to "learn". At that point its all about putting your skills together. However, if youre scoring in the 150's and low 160's this signifies that you're still missing concepts and that maybe reviewing and re-reading prep guides would benefit you more than simply taking PT's.

Take a break Anaconda. You've been going at this hardcore. Take a break for the rest of the weekend. 2 or 3 days off will not harm you. Theres plenty of time left.

Good luck!

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby Anaconda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Well, I just did the last LR section that I didn't try while taking the test.

I was able to get 21/25 (-4, which is tied for my best LR section ever), and I more or less understood every stimulus.

Are libraries usually noisy? One thing I now realize is that I became distracted by the LOUD librarians who I gave dirty looks to. It's a fucking library, don't the librarians realize that? One librarian was explaining to someone how to look up a book on the computer. This was 25 feet from me, yet it sounded like she was talking to me. I actually became extremely angry especially during RC in which concentration is vital and yet many people around me were talking really loudly. The fact it's a library made me particularly pissed off that people were being so loud and inconsiderate.

It's a fucking library, I expect to be distracted by the beeps of books being checked out and light whispering, not the yelling of librarians!

It might be possible that I'm getting significantly distracted while I take my PT's at the library. The fact that I was able to tell what everyone around me was doing or talking about probably makes that a pretty solid conclusion. Considering the fact I just did fairly respectable on the last LR section in a calm, peaceful and silent setting has me considering taking my PTs elsewhere.

Would it be okay to take my tests at my house or a study room in the library so there's not as much comotion distrating me? I know that you should be able to concentrate well even in busy and loud places and expect the worst on test day, but I seriously don't have the concentration level to do that on LR or RC (I'd be lying if I said it affected my on LG - I could do LG in a burning building - Snakes and Lizards just intimated me, not the setting)

Also, I'm taking my LSAT in a very good center - the best in the area, and it's rated a 4.6 or 4.7 out of 5 by Kaplan.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: So fed up

Postby Hedwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:03 pm

Are you at a university library or a normal library? Normal libraries are usually a bit louder. People ask questions/go there with little kids, etc, etc. Do you have different floors that might be quieter than where you were? This might not be the norm, but my university has four floors, the basement + third floor are silent areas, first floor is basically the only area you're allowed to talk, and second floor is "quiet."

If your university is just all busy/loud in one area, try using something like this http://padawanlaw.com/2010/04/lsat-proc ... ft-to-you/ that kind of mimics more the sounds you might hear when you're actually taking the test. That way you can take them at home, but with still some noise distraction that more accurately mimics what you'll hear on the test (well, hopefully more accurately).

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby gdane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Anaconda wrote:Well, I just did the last LR section that I didn't try while taking the test.

I was able to get 21/25 (-4, which is tied for my best LR section ever), and I more or less understood every stimulus.

Are libraries usually noisy? One thing I now realize is that I became distracted by the LOUD librarians who I gave dirty looks to. It's a fucking library, don't the librarians realize that? One librarian was explaining to someone how to look up a book on the computer. This was 25 feet from me, yet it sounded like she was talking to me. I actually became extremely angry especially during RC in which concentration is vital and yet many people around me were talking really loudly. The fact it's a library made me particularly pissed off that people were being so loud and inconsiderate.

It's a fucking library, I expect to be distracted by the beeps of books being checked out and light whispering, not the yelling of librarians!

It might be possible that I'm getting significantly distracted while I take my PT's at the library. The fact that I was able to tell what everyone around me was doing or talking about probably makes that a pretty solid conclusion. Considering the fact I just did fairly respectable on the last LR section in a calm, peaceful and silent setting has me considering taking my PTs elsewhere.

Would it be okay to take my tests at my house or a study room in the library so there's not as much comotion distrating me? I know that you should be able to concentrate well even in busy and loud places and expect the worst on test day, but I seriously don't have the concentration level to do that on LR or RC (I'd be lying if I said it affected my on LG - I could do LG in a burning building - Snakes and Lizards just intimated me, not the setting)

Also, I'm taking my LSAT in a very good center - the best in the area, and it's rated a 4.6 or 4.7 out of 5 by Kaplan.


Youre making the unwarrented assumption that being rated a 4.6 or 4.7 by Kaplan makes a test center very good. Flaw in your argument buddy. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby Anaconda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Public library - there were many screaming children and even louder parents. :)

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: So fed up

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Anaconda wrote:Public library - there were many screaming children and even louder parents. :)


I do my hw and tests in libraries as well. The library I go to is supposedly in the Top 100 of libraries in the nation. It is the loudest piece of shit I've ever been to..... I feel your pain. Try going to a university library in your area, they're 10x more quieter.
Last edited by Sh@keNb@ke on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby Anaconda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Meh, there's lots of rankings for it and the biggest complaints were about the disorganization at the beginning. Its gets high marks for good proctors and good setting, so I'll take my chances, especially since the other centers get much lower marks.

gdane5 wrote:
Anaconda wrote:Well, I just did the last LR section that I didn't try while taking the test.

I was able to get 21/25 (-4, which is tied for my best LR section ever), and I more or less understood every stimulus.

Are libraries usually noisy? One thing I now realize is that I became distracted by the LOUD librarians who I gave dirty looks to. It's a fucking library, don't the librarians realize that? One librarian was explaining to someone how to look up a book on the computer. This was 25 feet from me, yet it sounded like she was talking to me. I actually became extremely angry especially during RC in which concentration is vital and yet many people around me were talking really loudly. The fact it's a library made me particularly pissed off that people were being so loud and inconsiderate.

It's a fucking library, I expect to be distracted by the beeps of books being checked out and light whispering, not the yelling of librarians!

It might be possible that I'm getting significantly distracted while I take my PT's at the library. The fact that I was able to tell what everyone around me was doing or talking about probably makes that a pretty solid conclusion. Considering the fact I just did fairly respectable on the last LR section in a calm, peaceful and silent setting has me considering taking my PTs elsewhere.

Would it be okay to take my tests at my house or a study room in the library so there's not as much comotion distrating me? I know that you should be able to concentrate well even in busy and loud places and expect the worst on test day, but I seriously don't have the concentration level to do that on LR or RC (I'd be lying if I said it affected my on LG - I could do LG in a burning building - Snakes and Lizards just intimated me, not the setting)

Also, I'm taking my LSAT in a very good center - the best in the area, and it's rated a 4.6 or 4.7 out of 5 by Kaplan.


Youre making the unwarrented assumption that being rated a 4.6 or 4.7 by Kaplan makes a test center very good. Flaw in your argument buddy. :mrgreen:

Mike088
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby Mike088 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:16 pm

I would spend time going over some problems and really making sure you understand what you're looking for in each question. Sometimes taking it back to the basics is what you need for things to click. Hammering out PT's is important but you need to really build that base first.

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby Anaconda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:33 pm

Mike088 wrote:I would spend time going over some problems and really making sure you understand what you're looking for in each question. Sometimes taking it back to the basics is what you need for things to click. Hammering out PT's is important but you need to really build that base first.


I've been building my base, and I spend way more time reviewing my tests than actually taking them. I've only taken 5 PTs so far.

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: So fed up

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Anaconda. I suggested this before, but maybe it's better to make a smoother transition into your PT's? Your base may be solid but it's the time that could be killing you. I'd suggest to time yourself at 37 minutes and slowly move to 35 and then 34,33 etc. It's hard to just jump into pt'ing once you have just gotten your basics down.

ly2010
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby ly2010 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Anaconda wrote:
Mike088 wrote:I would spend time going over some problems and really making sure you understand what you're looking for in each question. Sometimes taking it back to the basics is what you need for things to click. Hammering out PT's is important but you need to really build that base first.


I've been building my base, and I spend way more time reviewing my tests than actually taking them. I've only taken 5 PTs so far.


If you've only done five, you have nothing to worry about. After you've done like 20 and you're still in the same boat, then maybe...

I've almost finished building my foundation. After finishing the three Powerscore Bibles, I'm going to start doing a test/day. The latest I will start is Sept 1st so I'll be able to do 30 tests at least before Oct 9. I'm planning on doing min. work Oct 1-Oct 9 but bust my ass in Sept. This way there is no way I will burn out.

Oh and also, maybe you should take a break and start on your personal statement and other stuff?

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: So fed up

Postby Anaconda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Ughh just redid the RC section and ended up with a -10. Fell for a lot of traps and missed some easy questions and picked answer choices for some inference questions which were clearly not supported by the text. I think this is the hardest RC section I've ever come across (can't wait to get to the 40's and 50's!).

Thanks for the advice. I think I might just give myself 37 minutes a section and slowly work my way down in time. I think it's especially restrictive with LR and to a lesser extent RC. I think my LR strategy falls appart once I get into timed sections. All of a sudden my LR strategies go by the wayside and I tend to get some easy questions wrong that I would rarely, if ever get wrong untimed. It's almost like a civilized person being thrown in a brutal wildlife setting and expecting him to survive with no given tools or materials. I think the flight response is triggered many times when I'm face with difficult questions.

I think 37 minute sections and taking the PT at my house or quiet area + playing a virtual proctor in the background sounds like a solid gameplan. Btw, ironically with my -4 in LR I still would have gotten a 160 on this test despite the horrible -30 raw score due to the -16 curve. My last 2 PT's have involved terrible pacing in LR and awful concentration and somehow I've salvaged scores that are still 8 points higher than my diagnostic. It would just be nice to have total focus and good timing once in a while. I just hope 160 represents my absolute worst day.
Last edited by Anaconda on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, bns212, dg1090, dontsaywhatyoumean, itsmako, zcjthb6 and 10 guests