Retake? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Mce252

Silver

Retake?

Post by Mce252 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:11 pm

So I took the September 2009 LSAT and my score was a gain of four points from my diagnostic. I took a Princeton Review class and completed about 15 timed PTs. Overall, I studied hard and similarly to how everyone on TLS has prescribed. My average PT score was a little higher than the actual, but not by much.

I have been this way with most standardized tests in my life: I don't ever get much better. The more I study, the more my mind is distracted by the pressures not knowing if my studying is actually working.

I took PT 53 this morning and scored 2 points higher than my diagnostic last time around. I would really love to improve my score in October but I think I need to stay much more relaxed to do so. That being said, I don't want to take it and not do any better. Any advice from anyone that is in or has been in a similar situation?

A bit complex for my decision making abilities...

nickbentley

Bronze

Re: Retake?

Post by nickbentley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Mce252 wrote:So I took the September 2009 LSAT and my score was a gain of four points from my diagnostic. I took a Princeton Review class and completed about 15 timed PTs. Overall, I studied hard and similarly to how everyone on TLS has prescribed. My average PT score was a little higher than the actual, but not by much.

I have been this way with most standardized tests in my life: I don't ever get much better. The more I study, the more my mind is distracted by the pressures not knowing if my studying is actually working.

I took PT 53 this morning and scored 2 points higher than my diagnostic last time around. I would really love to improve my score in October but I think I need to stay much more relaxed to do so. That being said, I don't want to take it and not do any better. Any advice from anyone that is in or has been in a similar situation?

A bit complex for my decision making abilities...
Very carefully review your mistakes and make certain you know why you missed what you missed.

Then do it again.

I think the benefits of feeling confident on test day from an increased score will outweigh the negatives if your score doesn't improve this time around.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:18 pm

That depends on whether or not any increase in score would yield a greater chance of gaining admission to the law schools you want to apply to.

If you're already sitting comfortable, then why put yourself through the gauntlet unnecessarily? But if it will help your admission status...then, hell, freaking, yes!

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:22 pm

It doesn't matter if you retake it and get the same score. Unless you're applying to HYS, it doesn't really matter if you do worse either.

To answer your question, yes, retake.

Also: what did you get?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:25 pm

I took twice and didnt study at all between and did 9 points better. Prob from stress alone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:29 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:That depends on whether or not any increase in score would yield a greater chance of gaining admission to the law schools you want to apply to.

If you're already sitting comfortable, then why put yourself through the gauntlet unnecessarily? But if it will help your admission status...then, hell, freaking, yes!
Retake regardless. Higher score = more $ or better school, which also ultimately (hopefully) translates to more $. The time you spend on the LSAT is an investment whose returns are wildly variable, and whose returns matter much, much more than the time/effort expended on the initial investment.

If you don't get your score on the 2nd try, take it a 3rd time.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Do the majority of the schools you are interested in average or not? If they do and you can live with your chances with the score you have and don't feel confident about getting a higher score - then don't do it.

Otherwise review your last tests, figure out what went wrong, study hard and go for it.

Thats the best formula for making this tough decision that I've come up with.

Good luck!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 pm

I started at a 151 the first time around. (Sorry, I don't normally include it because I'm a little ashamed of my score. I realized this situation requires context.) I ended up with a 155 on the real deal. I took it this morning, a year later, and got a 153.

I feel like I understand everything on the test so well but just can't follow through when I take it. I could get into some T3/T4 schools in my area (Texas) but I would really like to get into U of H. I probably need at least a 159 to have a shot.

My plan is to take a timed test a week. Spend time analyzing the rest of the week and maybe go through the LGB. I feel that knowing I ultimately suck at this test and I have a score already may help me. Who knows...

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:44 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:That depends on whether or not any increase in score would yield a greater chance of gaining admission to the law schools you want to apply to.

Retake regardless. Higher score = more $ or better school, which also ultimately (hopefully) translates to more $. The time you spend on the LSAT is an investment whose returns are wildly variable, and whose returns matter much, much more than the time/effort expended on the initial investment.

Should those with a 176 take the LSAT a second and third time just because there is room for improvement?

I'm not overly familiar with the U.S system but there are still a few schools that average LSAT score, yes? If the OP is looking to attend one of those schools (and is comfortably over the 75% LSAT requirement) than it makes little sense to risk a lower LSAT score.

There are many variables to consider: your moto of do it as many times as you can regardless of the circumstances is well...it is certainly not one I would adhere to :oops:

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:45 pm

Mce252 wrote:I started at a 151 the first time around. (Sorry, I don't normally include it because I'm a little ashamed of my score. I realized this situation requires context.) I ended up with a 155 on the real deal. I took it this morning, a year later, and got a 153.

I feel like I understand everything on the test so well but just can't follow through when I take it. I could get into some T3/T4 schools in my area (Texas) but I would really like to get into U of H. I probably need at least a 159 to have a shot.

My plan is to take a timed test a week. Spend time analyzing the rest of the week and maybe go through the LGB. I feel that knowing I ultimately suck at this test and I have a score already may help me. Who knows...
In this case I would suggest a retake. You need a higher score to have a shot at the school you want to attend. Give yourself that opportunity!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:29 pm

In this case I would suggest a retake. You need a higher score to have a shot at the school you want to attend. Give yourself that opportunity!
Appreciate all the advice. Looks like I'm retaking. I guess I probably have nothing to lose with the schools that would admit me.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:35 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:

Should those with a 176 take the LSAT a second and third time just because there is room for improvement?

I'm not overly familiar with the U.S system but there are still a few schools that average LSAT score, yes? If the OP is looking to attend one of those schools (and is comfortably over the 75% LSAT requirement) than it makes little sense to risk a lower LSAT score.

There are many variables to consider: your moto of do it as many times as you can regardless of the circumstances is well...it is certainly not one I would adhere to :oops:
Pretty clear from the initial post that OP did not have 175+. And the TLS consensus is that really, only HYS average. Being a 3-time taker myself and having been admitted into a number of non-HYS T14s, I can attest to that myself (if those schools averaged, I wouldn't have been admitted to any of them). OP was not comfortably over the 75% mark for any of HYS, which I think we could tell without knowing his score, so yes, he should retake regardless. It doesn't matter if he could already get into his target school with his score. Getting 5 points higher could get him a half-scholarship, for example, which is what, 50 grand? For an extra 2 months of studying a couple hours a day? I think that's worth putting oneself "through the gauntlet" again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”