Blueprint Online Course vs Kaplan or Atlas Classroom Course

Marnie634

Blueprint Online Course vs Kaplan or Atlas Classroom Course

Postby Marnie634 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:34 pm

I am trying to decide between taking the Blueprint "The Movie" interactive self study course and the basic Kaplan Classroom Course.
I am in the NYC are and have heard the Blueprint is by far the best. However, I am moving to Boston in September and would only be able to attend the first half of the NYC course.

So I am considering doing the Blueprint self study option --- has anyone done this? How does it compare to their classroom course? If I take it seriously is it worthwhile?

I am also considering Kaplan in classroom 5 week course that would end in August. Any opinions on how this would stack up next to the Blueprint self study? What about an Atlas 5 week NYC intensive course?

How much value is there in the classroom setting versus the self study?

I am preparing for the October LSAT and this will be my first time taking it.

Any advice is greatly apprecaited!!!!

Thanks!

Prime321

Re: Blueprint Online Course vs Kaplan or Atlas Classroom Course

Postby Prime321 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:02 pm

I bought the Blueprint movie last week and haven't got the materials yet. I figured the movie course would be better than live. 16 full lessons taught by the founders Trent and Riley so you wont be screwed by a bad instructor. You get to go at your own pace and review it if you don't get it at first. Audio or video explanations of the HW and tests and if you have a specific question they have an instructor that takes your emails. I bought it for the strategies and game plan for studying what do I need to be there live for?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:33 pm

What is the fee or cost for the movie?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prime321

Postby Prime321 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:38 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:What is the fee or cost for the movie?

$825 total there are 155 students who are currently in the "class"

Marnie634

Postby Marnie634 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:52 pm

the atlas course is about 1300 and the kaplan is 1100 i believe

Nikrall

Postby Nikrall » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:04 pm

The problem with a pre-recorded class is that it is hard for them to be dynamic. Its really not much different than buying a book.

That being said, don't take a Kaplan course.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:12 pm

As always, ask away if you've got any questions about Blueprint. I'm the New York instructor, and am also heavily involved in the online course, so I should be able to answer any questions you guys can cook up.

And because people were asking for it, info about the course is here.

The classroom course has the added advantage of built in structure, which is a big factor in staying motivated for a lot of people. The movie, however, affords a lot of convenience. One can actually combine the two. It's an extra $300 on top of the live course fee, and then one gets the video lessons as well. Not for everyone, but something to consider.

There's an Atlas instructor around who can answer questions about their course. They're owned by Kaplan, so he can maybe answer questions about them as well? If not, there's an actual Kaplan instructor who's here a bit less frequently, but you could PM him or her.

Prime321

Postby Prime321 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Nikrall wrote:The problem with a pre-recorded class is that it is hard for them to be dynamic. Its really not much different than buying a book.

That being said, don't take a Kaplan course.

Other people on this forum who took the movie course said they were funny. Regardless what do I need to be entertained for? Give me a thorough explanation of what to do and a guideline on how to do it and get out of my way.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Nikrall wrote:The problem with a pre-recorded class is that it is hard for them to be dynamic. Its really not much different than buying a book.

...mmm, I'd have to disagree with that. Our pre-recorded course has tons of hours of lessons, tons of online resources, email support, and thousands of pages of material. Much more than just a book. As for the dynamism, that's for the students to judge. Many people have already commented on their experiences with the Blueprint online course, and I would recommend that anyone interested peruse the board. While there are benefits and downsides to pre-recorded versus live online, I've seemed to hear more complaints about the latter than the former. It's not a representative sample at all, but I've talked to a lot of people who like the idea of live online in theory, but end up liking pre-recorded a lot more in practice.

Nikrall

Postby Nikrall » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:32 pm

"Our pre-recorded course has tons of hours of lessons, tons of online resources, email support, and thousands of pages of material"

Ok, so its a big book. But for $800 v. $70 max, it had better be. The only difference, really, is the e-mail support which is a valid point.

Many people seem to like the online course, but, if one was wondering the difference between something that is online or in person, the main difference would be dynamism. Really the only difference between something pre-recorded and reading a book is that you are listening as opposed to reading. But with a course, hopefully, the instructor would be changing his/her teaching style depending on the needs and reactions of the students in the class.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Nikrall wrote:"Our pre-recorded course has tons of hours of lessons, tons of online resources, email support, and thousands of pages of material"

Ok, so its a big book. But for $800 v. $70 max, it had better be. The only difference, really, is the e-mail support which is a valid point.

Many people seem to like the online course, but, if one was wondering the difference between something that is online or in person, the main difference would be dynamism. Really the only difference between something pre-recorded and reading a book is that you are listening as opposed to reading. But with a course, hopefully, the instructor would be changing his/her teaching style depending on the needs and reactions of the students in the class.

Yeah, you definitely bring up some good points.

The "big book" nature of the course is a pretty big allure, I think. Almost all courses, live or online, contain all released LSAT problems, and that's a big factor in terms of convenience, knowing you have everything and not having to buy anything else.

Also, I do think that there's more to the videos than just the listening-versus-reading factor. Especially with diagrammable questions and games, I think it can be helpful to see the operations actually performed in front of you. Also, I think the listening (well, and watching) versus reading factor can be a pretty big one.

That's true that the instructor should be responsive to the class. I wonder how often this actually happens though. The students I've had who came from other companies' live online courses said that they weren't responsive or dynamic at all, but then again that's an incredibly skewed sample (as they belong to a self-selecting group of people who had bad experiences).

Edit: formatting

smc44

Postby smc44 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Marnie634 wrote:How much value is there in the classroom setting versus the self study?

I think this varies for each individual. Some people need the classroom setting to stay motivated, and some people are disciplined enough to follow a self study curriculum. If the former applies to you, due to your moving situation, I'd consider an online virtual course.

Tuckaseegee

Postby Tuckaseegee » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:19 am

Good time for me to chime in.

I posted roughly 2-3 weeks ago over the dilemma of Kaplan vs. Powerscore vs. Knewton vs. Blueprint: The Movie.

I visited a free Kaplan course and wasn't impressed. I did the 7 free-day trial of Knewton, which was okay. It wasn't very engaging and quite slow in nature. Over the three hours, it felt like we didn't get very much accomplished.

What I decided to do was sign up for Blueprint: The Movie (the free vids on their site were what sold me) and get the Powerscore books (since everyone raves about them). While waiting for Blueprint to arrive, I got through a huge chunk of Powerscore LG Bible. However, I kept making a bunch of mistakes...something wasn't clicking.

My box of Blueprint stuff arrived yesterday. I did all of Lesson 1 today. To be quite honest, I love it. Why? I'm engaged. It's fun. I actually am looking forward to Lesson 2. I'll only compare LG between the Powerscore Bible and BP The Movie, but I am finding BP's approach much easier (and faster) to work with (ordering games only, as that's how far I've gotten in BP). Seeing and hearing the funny video lessons is VERY much different than working with a dry, dense book (for me at least). You're less apt to breeze over things that are very important because the video is taking minutes to actually stress it, whereas everything in the book starts looking the same.

I truly cannot disagree more RE: dynamism. The BP vids, as stated above, are very dynamic, fun and humorous, which helps keep you engaged and interested in the material. It's like going to the class of your favorite teacher who is also quite an excellent teacher. It sounds silly, but it's little things like the BP book telling you to remember the contrapositive by the saying "Flip it over and slap it twice" that make me love the course. Do I need that saying? No, I knew what a contrapositive was before taking the BP course. But it makes me laugh. And when I'm going to be embarking on a 2-3 month journey of LSAT prep, that is HUGELY important.

Take this for what you will. Remember, I'm only 1 lesson into BP: The Movie. But I definitely recommend it.

forward

Postby forward » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Last edited by forward on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

gerryapthud

Postby gerryapthud » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:36 pm

Whatever you do, don't take Blueprint in NYC. The instructor they have there is awful.

pumpernickel

Postby pumpernickel » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Marnie634, Prime321, Tuckaseegee, and forward 21 are all shill accounts that Blueprint recently created. The purpose of these shills is to generate discussion about Blueprint so bpcolin has a platform to come on and make a sales pitch.

Would you want to eat at the restaurant where the manager is standing outside and begging you to come in? I wouldn't.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Something smells strange when an entire thread is full of people with less than 100 posts each. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this Blueprint thing.

HiLine

Postby HiLine » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:01 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Something smells strange when an entire thread is full of people with less than 100 posts each. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this Blueprint thing.

It is usually the newcomers that are concerned about which prep course to take or whether to take a course at all. What's fishy is the 2 brand-new accounts whose only activity so far is to criticize a prep company without justification.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:03 pm

HiLine wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Something smells strange when an entire thread is full of people with less than 100 posts each. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this Blueprint thing.

It is usually the newcomers that are concerned about which prep course to take or whether to take a course at all. What's fishy is the 2 brand-new accounts whose only activity so far is to criticize a prep company without justification.

You're a newcomer also, dude.

HiLine

Postby HiLine » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
HiLine wrote:

You're a newcomer also, dude.

If I had talked about BP at all in this thread it shouldn't be suspicious either.

Tuckaseegee

Postby Tuckaseegee » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:38 am

I'm actually a 24 year old teacher...of third graders. In North Carolina.

Yea...not a BP shill.

ETA: Hiline hit it right on the head as to why I have so few posts. I recently decided to start prepping, started exploring these boards, and I wanted some advice specific to my situation. So I opened an account and asked for some. I signed up for BP: The Movie and bought Powerscore books. Because I can't magically increase my post count, should I not post my thoughts? That's ludicrous.

mlbennani

Postby mlbennani » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:38 pm

pumpernickel wrote:Marnie634, Prime321, Tuckaseegee, and forward 21 are all shill accounts that Blueprint recently created. The purpose of these shills is to generate discussion about Blueprint so bpcolin has a platform to come on and make a sales pitch.

Would you want to eat at the restaurant where the manager is standing outside and begging you to come in? I wouldn't.

omg you guys are a bunch of paranoid people with nothing better to do!

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:25 am

Marnie634 wrote:What about an Atlas 5 week NYC intensive course?

How much value is there in the classroom setting versus the self study?

I'll throw in the Atlas word here. Sorry to be rather straight-up salesman here, but seems like that's what this thread is about. You're welcome to come and try the first session of one of our courses as a trial student (or sign up for a free trial hour of tutoring) - also, if the OP is going to switch to Boston, we have a couple of classes up there that you could transfer into. Our in-person classes are capped at 18 to allow us to have a truly interactive and adaptive classroom. Our live online classes are capped at 25 and feature 2 teachers for the express purpose of fostering a lot of back and forth as well as "break-out rooms" - none of our students have complained about the lack of interaction in our classes. All our teachers scored in the 99th percentile, and we pay them $100/hr + $20/hr prep time - the highest pay in the industry - which allows us to be very picky about who we hire. We make an offer to less than 5% of those applicants who qualify (score and 2+ years of teaching experience). Our curriculum is designed to focus on students shooting for top scores, though we have ways to accommodate students who are coming in far below the median.

Also, we have a self study course - I imagine it's comparable to the Movie discussed above. Ours costs $425 and includes recordings of classes, books, practice LSATs, a bit of tutoring, and, this summer, a series of live online HW review sessions. You can get a sense of what learning through recordings would be like by going to the training center - http://www.atlaslsat.com/training-center.cfm and watching a recording of a free workshop. About half of our students are self-studyers (and a few of them then upgrade to a class if they want more back & forth and the weekly tutoring sessions).

Last point: I can't speak about Kaplan. While they did purchase us, we operate independently. In short, they bought a competitor and are expecting us to continue to be competitive (amicably so). If you take a cursory glance at Kaplan and Atlas, it's obvious that we're different stories, and that's exactly why Kaplan found us and our sister company (MGMAT) to be attractive.

If there are other questions about us, feel free to pm me. Good luck to all!

- Noah

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”