Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:08 am
Posts: 59
Okay, so I have decided even though Kaplan is the only company capable of having a in class course for my LSAT prep, I'm still going to opt against that and go with an online course to help facilitate my self-study.

Are any of you enrolled in the BP: Movie? Thoughts? Anyone take a BP online course in the past?

Anyone take a Powerscore online course in the past? Thoughts?


I know TPR guys frequent here often: any reason why your online course would be better? Unfortunately, BP, Powerscore, and TPR do not offer courses at James Madison University so I am stuck with an online course.

Feedback appreciated seeing as I will be registering sooner much rather than later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 173
There are a number of people around who are taking or have taken our online course. There are also a number of recent threads about people's Blueprint experiences if you search for them. If you've got any questions for me about the BP course, feel free send me on over a PM.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:08 am
Posts: 59
Thanks, Colin. I am just interested in the type of person that has taken the BP course and their results. I have read through practically all the testiomnials and can only imagine the sheer joy one must feel from taking a diagnostic of something like 155 and turning it into a 172.

My primary question is if there will be a BP online course for the December LSAT or just the October one?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 173
We do offer the online course year round. When you buy it, you get access for two LSAT administrations. So if you purchase it now, you could prepare right up until the December test. If you bought it after the October LSAT, then you would have access until the February test, etc.

The joy is indeed immense that comes from turning a 155 into a 172, but it's a lot of work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:08 am
Posts: 59
I absolutely understand the seriousness of the preparation and the necessity to work extremely hard in order to attain one of those top scores. I would be happy just breaking 165. Well, I don't even know my diagnostic so I can't even really estimate what I would like to break yet.

With blueprint, when you go through the questions, if you miss a question or you are unsure, I am certain they explain why you got it wrong/what the correct answer is but I know there are different "types" of questions, will Blueprint help me analyze which types of questions I struggle with?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions; I am strongly considering signing up for Blueprint's online course now and using it to prepare for my December LSAT.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am
Posts: 342
wehman wrote:
I absolutely understand the seriousness of the preparation and the necessity to work extremely hard in order to attain one of those top scores. I would be happy just breaking 165. Well, I don't even know my diagnostic so I can't even really estimate what I would like to break yet.

With blueprint, when you go through the questions, if you miss a question or you are unsure, I am certain they explain why you got it wrong/what the correct answer is but I know there are different "types" of questions, will Blueprint help me analyze which types of questions I struggle with?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions; I am strongly considering signing up for Blueprint's online course now and using it to prepare for my December LSAT.


I'm a BP student, and that's my favorite part of the course. Every question type has a BP classification--i.e. Flaw question, Necessary question, etc. When you take a practice exam, BP has a breakdown for you. So, each practice exam will tell you how many right/wrong for each question type. (Flaw--> Correct:7, Possible:9, Percentage:77.78%)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:08 am
Posts: 59
Ah yes, thanks lparker. That is exactly the sort of feedback I am looking for. If you do not mind me asking, what kind of progress have you seen throughout the course?

I'm torn between powerscore and blueprint but I noticed Powerscore doesn't include the Bibles within their prep material so in the end it really comes down to the instructers and methods. I have read on TLS that some people found the terminology and methodology of breaking down the questions was explained more simply through BP and Powerscore was a bit harder to follow.

Thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:41 pm
Posts: 7
Here's a thought: lparker is a Blueprint shill.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm
Posts: 615
pumpernickel wrote:
Here's a thought: lparker is a Blueprint shill.


Someone obviously doesn't like BP... although if they have really created shill accounts in the past, that is indeed pretty shameful.

EDIT: after seeing like 3 of these threads all posted today that all seem highly suspect, you have a good point, even though your own TLS history (and subsequently your motives) is questionable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am
Posts: 15271
There sure have been a lot of these Blueprint posts today, and all of them full of brand new less-than-100-post TLS users. I'm going to have to keep a very close eye on this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 19
vanwinkle wrote:
There sure have been a lot of these Blueprint posts today, and all of them full of brand new less-than-100-post TLS users. I'm going to have to keep a very close eye on this.


LOL!! The reason why it seems like there has been a lot of posts about BP on the same day is because pumpernicle went to every BP thread he could find and accused everyone of being shills and therefore bumped all the BP threads onto the front page. Kinda funny an obvious shill creates an account with an agenda to smear and a mod instead of rebuking the obvious shill gets suckered into thinking all those threads were from the same day. Your comment about less than 100 posts also makes no sense cause you would think most people asking about prep companies and how to prepare for the LSAT wouldn't be a veteran poster.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am
Posts: 342
wehman wrote:
Ah yes, thanks lparker. That is exactly the sort of feedback I am looking for. If you do not mind me asking, what kind of progress have you seen throughout the course?

I'm torn between powerscore and blueprint but I noticed Powerscore doesn't include the Bibles within their prep material so in the end it really comes down to the instructers and methods. I have read on TLS that some people found the terminology and methodology of breaking down the questions was explained more simply through BP and Powerscore was a bit harder to follow.

Thoughts?


Well, with Reading Comprehension I went from 55.5% accuracy to 88.8%, with Logic Games I went from 56.5% to 73.9%. While I saw improvement, I would definitely like to further improve on Logic Games--everyone says it's the most "masterable." I really like the Reading Comp. methods BP teaches. Even though my last practice exam was 88.8%, there were a few other practice exams I took that I had 100% on RC.

I actually knew I was going to go through the BP course twice from the get-go because of my job's hours durning the months leading up to the June test. To do the course right, it takes committment on your part. There's a lot of homework, and basically every homework question has an accompanying video that is anywhere from 2-8 minutes long.

From what I've read on this forum, the bibles are amazing. I actually ended up purchasing the LGB and LRB after the June test because I wanted to see what they were all about... So far, I've finished the Logic Games Bible, and I did like it a lot. But, I think at least in part, I was able to understand it because of what I had already learned... Games were foreign to me! I can't tell you how many times I had to pause/rewatch the BP videos. Matt Riley does the games, and he was my favorite! After reading the LGB, I probably picked up on a couple of other things from outside BP that I think will help me.

If Powerscore doesn't include the bibles in the course, maybe you could just purchase them additionally? If you even need to...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:22 am
Posts: 9
vanwinkle wrote:
There sure have been a lot of these Blueprint posts today, and all of them full of brand new less-than-100-post TLS users. I'm going to have to keep a very close eye on this.


Not everyone is like you and has 8673 posts!

I personally just joined this site right after I took the LSAT waiting for my score.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:44 am
Posts: 4
Prime321 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
There sure have been a lot of these Blueprint posts today, and all of them full of brand new less-than-100-post TLS users. I'm going to have to keep a very close eye on this.


LOL!! The reason why it seems like there has been a lot of posts about BP on the same day is because pumpernicle went to every BP thread he could find and accused everyone of being shills and therefore bumped all the BP threads onto the front page. Kinda funny an obvious shill creates an account with an agenda to smear and a mod instead of rebuking the obvious shill gets suckered into thinking all those threads were from the same day. Your comment about less than 100 posts also makes no sense cause you would think most people asking about prep companies and how to prepare for the LSAT wouldn't be a veteran poster.


There are a lot of posts about Blueprint because it is an awesome company that has funny and entertaining teachers. Maybe if the other prep companies weren't so boring, or if they actually worked, there would be discussion about them too. You're an idiot, vanwinkle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm
Posts: 1095
tsunagi wrote:
Prime321 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
There sure have been a lot of these Blueprint posts today, and all of them full of brand new less-than-100-post TLS users. I'm going to have to keep a very close eye on this.


LOL!! The reason why it seems like there has been a lot of posts about BP on the same day is because pumpernicle went to every BP thread he could find and accused everyone of being shills and therefore bumped all the BP threads onto the front page. Kinda funny an obvious shill creates an account with an agenda to smear and a mod instead of rebuking the obvious shill gets suckered into thinking all those threads were from the same day. Your comment about less than 100 posts also makes no sense cause you would think most people asking about prep companies and how to prepare for the LSAT wouldn't be a veteran poster.


There are a lot of posts about Blueprint because it is an awesome company that has funny and entertaining teachers. Maybe if the other prep companies weren't so boring, or if they actually worked, there would be discussion about them too. You're an idiot, vanwinkle.


I think you're either a vanwinkle alt, in which case you need to ban yourself for alting, or you're an idiot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm
Posts: 615
Are you basically accusing VanWinkle of creating a troll account to smear himself, and cause a ridiculous shill war all for self entertainment?

Tautology wrote:
tsunagi wrote:
Prime321 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
There sure have been a lot of these Blueprint posts today, and all of them full of brand new less-than-100-post TLS users. I'm going to have to keep a very close eye on this.


LOL!! The reason why it seems like there has been a lot of posts about BP on the same day is because pumpernicle went to every BP thread he could find and accused everyone of being shills and therefore bumped all the BP threads onto the front page. Kinda funny an obvious shill creates an account with an agenda to smear and a mod instead of rebuking the obvious shill gets suckered into thinking all those threads were from the same day. Your comment about less than 100 posts also makes no sense cause you would think most people asking about prep companies and how to prepare for the LSAT wouldn't be a veteran poster.


There are a lot of posts about Blueprint because it is an awesome company that has funny and entertaining teachers. Maybe if the other prep companies weren't so boring, or if they actually worked, there would be discussion about them too. You're an idiot, vanwinkle.


I think you're either a vanwinkle alt, in which case you need to ban yourself for alting, or you're an idiot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm
Posts: 2072
I seriously laughed out loud.

Anaconda wrote:
Are you basically accusing VanWinkle of creating a troll account to smear himself, and cause a ridiculous shill war all for self entertainment?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:08 am
Posts: 59
For the love of god people, shill accounts or not, I just want some feedback. Someone create some powerscore shill accounts and get their points across because so far the only pitch I am getting is from blue print. In addition, even if they are shill accounts, nobody that has taken the course has come on the forums to say I didn't like the class.

In the end, I'm going to sign up for something virtual and I'm just looking for the best course.

However, I am a little worried when people say they have "funny" explanations for things. Sometimes people try and come up with funny, or so they think, neat ways to remember difficult concepts and in the end don't really thoroughly explain it. Instead, you just memorize it superficially because of whatever cute idiomatic express they generated to help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:18 am
Posts: 49
wehman wrote:
For the love of god people, shill accounts or not, I just want some feedback. Someone create some powerscore shill accounts and get their points across because so far the only pitch I am getting is from blue print. In addition, even if they are shill accounts, nobody that has taken the course has come on the forums to say I didn't like the class.

In the end, I'm going to sign up for something virtual and I'm just looking for the best course.

However, I am a little worried when people say they have "funny" explanations for things. Sometimes people try and come up with funny, or so they think, neat ways to remember difficult concepts and in the end don't really thoroughly explain it. Instead, you just memorize it superficially because of whatever cute idiomatic express they generated to help.


Ok regardless of blueprint, shill accounts or whatever, you could also make a tiny effort and check things out by yourself. Powerscore allows you to try the first class for free of the virtual course at any time (it is in the homepage of their website on the right side). Similarly, you can go to the blueprint website and check out their videos for yourself, and if you find their humor a waste of time, that will be your call!
You have all the tools to make up your own mind. So I really think that you don't need anybody to tell you anything more about this! There has been enough shit said about this subject.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blueprint: The Movie vs. Powerscore
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm
Posts: 846
Ok, honest opinion here. Do you want an online class that meets a set certain number of times per week or do you want video clips that you can watch at your own time? It depends on if you can get motivated by yourself. Personally, I found the Powerscore interface poor and the material good. I decided on Blueprint because the material was good, and I could watch it over and over again. I had two faces to look at whenever I wanted, and I had an email that I could write to when I had a problem.

My outcome? I totally screwed up the December 09 test due to being a complete moron. I never finished all of the Blueprint homework, and since it was a system designed to flexibility I took too much advantage of that flexibility and didn't prepare adequately. I am now having a second go at prep and hoping to get myself focused as there are no quality test prep companies like Powerscore or Blueprint that I could take in person. I really wish I had a course available here that I could have taken in person. So, the bottom line is that both companies have good material. You have to make a decision on if online prep is right for you, and what kind of online prep you want. Do you want an online whiteboard with live instructors or a prerecorded session with an email helpline at a lower cost? I know that I would not be able to stand the whiteboard Powerscore has.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HRomanus, nlee10, smccgrey, TheProdigal, yunjh1066 and 21 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Login     TLS home     TLS forums     TLS wiki     Terms of Service     Privacy Policy     Copyright Policy     Contact     powered by phpBB