Multiple LSAT Question

IsleMet

Multiple LSAT Question

Postby IsleMet » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:14 pm

I'm sorry if this has been addressed in the past, but I wasn't able to find a thread with the answer.

How many times is it appropriate to take the LSAT? I took it Oct 4th 2008, Feb 2010, and June 2010 scoring a 164, cancel, and a 166. On practice exams I always score at a 170-175 level, but nerves have gotten to me on the real thing. Should I take it again? I don't want to appear obsessive and I think the limit is 3 times in a 2 year period anyway (though technically, next October is more than 2 years after my first attempt).

My goal is to get into NYU or Columbia and my chances right now are minimal at best (I have a 3.61 and extensive community service including 2 years of Teach for America as well as a Masters degree, but I doubt its enough).

Thanks!!!

J

luxxe

Re: Multiple LSAT Question

Postby luxxe » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:17 pm

I suppose technically you can take it again in October, but do you have any reason to believe that you are going to do better? The same amount of nerves that were there the last three times will still be there, if not more since this will be your last chance to take it until February 2012. You are definitely underperforming if you are able to get 175 on practice tests, which is undoubtedly frustrating, but not totally uncommon.

Also, NYU notoriously averages LSAT scores.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:34 pm

There's a great TLS article about retaking and which schools average multiple scores. (http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html)

The "3 times in 2 years" rule can easily be circumvented. All you have to do is get a law school to request that LSAC make an exception for you.

Are your practice test scores with 5 sections and strictly timed? Are these exams taken in test-like conditions, proctored, and with the type of distractions you're likely to experience on Test Day itself?

Take several timed exams under these kind of conditions, and you'll be better-prepared to deal with the stress of the real thing.

(Check out PadawanLaw's LSAT proctor app and mp3: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121214)

IsleMet

Postby IsleMet » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks for your feedback!

I did take most of my practice tests in exam-like conditions and I was pretty good with timing myself. My actual test day experiences have been incredibly frustrating (it's almost a self-defeating mindset once you've taken 3 of these stupid things!). I'm thinking about sending an email over to NYU and Columbia admissions to ask what they think I should do (not sure if it's odd to ask admissions for advice with my application haha).

I'm hoping my soft factors and experience helps push me into NYU. I've heard they tend to like people with a lot of community service experience and I also plan on applying early decision (maybe that'll help!).

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:36 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:The "3 times in 2 years" rule can easily be circumvented. All you have to do is get a law school to request that LSAC make an exception for you.

Does it have to be a law school that you're applying to, or can it be any law school, even if you haven't submitted an app?

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Any law school, even if you haven't submitted an app.

http://www.lsac.org/aboutlsac/faqs-and- ... st-repeats

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:17 pm

With a 3.61 GPA, you'll need a 172+ LSAT to have any shot at Columbia/NYU.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”